Help Please
Shred Kid
Oct 9 2007, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
Hi,
I have just started practicing seriously (4 hours a day) One hour on Legato, One hour on Speedpicking and One hour on Sweep picking. This is all done with a Metronome. Is this effective Practice? Also, I have been trying legatp and am forced to stop after about 5 minutes as my wrist really hurts. Is this normal?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Oct 9 2007, 04:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Shred Kid @ Oct 9 2007, 05:06 PM) *
Hi,
I have just started practicing seriously (4 hours a day) One hour on Legato, One hour on Speedpicking and One hour on Sweep picking. This is all done with a Metronome. Is this effective Practice? Also, I have been trying legatp and am forced to stop after about 5 minutes as my wrist really hurts. Is this normal?

Thats schedule is a bit tough to start out on. You need to build strength gradually. If you strain your hands and wrist to much its gonna hinder your progress and hurt you.

To get strength up your hands start out with the "6 minute trill exersize" where you do two minutes on each of your fingers at top of your speed. At the end of this you will feel your hand will hurt a bit but this is normal as your hand muscles are not strong yet. Believe it or not but this helps allot for your legato technique.

Practice in 15 minute intervals and take a five minute break inbetween. Do this :

* 15 minutes of Legato
* 5 minute break ( go outside or something )
* 15 munutes of speed picking
* 5 minute break ( stand up and stretch your hands and arms and neck etc. )
* 15 minutes of sweep picking
* Now take a longer break to completely unwind like 30 minutes and then repeat.

As for your wrist straighten your arm in front of you and pull back on your hand in both ways for about 20 seconds stretching out your arm muscles. This helps allot.

And please remember your hands are your most important tool. If your wrist hurts stop immediately, you can develope RSI and even Carpel tunnel syndrome and if that happens no more playing for a long time. No jokes. You will loose the ability to use your fingers if you don't beware. Ive been close to that happening.

Hopes this info helps smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 9 2007, 04:20 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Shred Kid @ Oct 9 2007, 05:06 PM) *
Hi,

Good advice from Francis - however if your hand hurts after 5 minutes you should only practice those specific exercises in increments of 2 minutes until you have developed more strength! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:43 AM