7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Not Guitar Related: No Petrol Cars Uk 2030?
jstcrsn
May 26 2021, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
my In-laws build custom rods, I can't even imagine going down the road without the roar of these engines

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: May 26 2021, 11:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2021, 12:21 AM
GMC:er
WOW!!!! That is staggering. So it costs the price of the car, plus another half the cost of the car to buy a new car? Egad!!! I thought we had some high taxes. At least it's not quite as bad for cheaper cars.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 25 2021, 03:02 PM) *
You probably won't believe this but the registration tax for a purchase of a new vehicle (car) here in Denmark is 150%, only recently lowered from 180%. At least for cars over €26000 or so.

"The registration tax applied to new cars in Denmark is value-based and amounts to 85% of the car's taxable value up to DKK 197,700 (€26,500), and 150% for the value above, according to the ACEA 2020 Tax Guide. The parties have agreed that an extra tier will be introduced, whereby a lower 25% tax rate will be applied to the car’s value up to DKK 65,000 in 2021. The 85% tax rate will then be applied up to the slightly higher value of DKK 202,200 in 2021, with the 150% rate above that level."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20151120/whats-the-...gistration-tax/

Sadly, it's something we will all have to get used to at some point.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 26 2021, 06:35 PM) *
my In-laws build custom rods, I can't even imagine going down the road without the roar of these engines

I know how big motorsport is in the UK and I can't see it just switching over to battery powered race cars to be honest. "Petrol Head" culture is deeply embedded, as it is here. The entire world will be watching to see how this rolls out.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 25 2021, 03:04 PM) *
I really don't think there will be an industry for small manufacturers of batteries, they will be mass-produced oem supplied and replaced. There wouldn't be any way that we could be world leaders as we are .
I'm pretty sure internal combustion engines will be providing us with an income for a long time yet.

It's a HUGE goal to set to be sure. It's going to be very tough to meet that deadline. Maybe they will have to push it back at some point. As of now, it's the law and it's on the books. It's going to be a template for the rest of the world as they roll out electric cars. I do hope it serves to support the economy and not to destroy it.

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ May 26 2021, 01:51 PM) *
..pulling out on them because they dont hear them. Seen it already in big cities like London.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 27 2021, 12:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 27 2021, 01:21 AM) *
WOW!!!! That is staggering. So it costs the price of the car, plus another half the cost of the car to buy a new car? Egad!!! I thought we had some high taxes. At least it's not quite as bad for cheaper cars.

Generally the public transportation is very good here in Denmark, from busses to metro to trains. And in shorter distances (like up to 5-6 miles a lot of people just ride bicycles, some even further distances). Of course we still have many people riding cars, don't get me wrong.

Then the prices for gas. A gallon is about 5,8 USD here, I believe. I think that's fairly higher than in the US too, right?

EDIT: Also electrical battery powered bicycles with assisting motors are becoming a popular thing here too. They assist you, but you still have to use the pedals, but the motor helps you ride faster with less resistance, so it's good for longer distances. They're a bit expensive though. I have one too, which looks like this:

Attached Image

The motor is in the crank and the battery is in the frame.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 27 2021, 01:31 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2021, 10:56 PM
Thats very clever indeed! One more bit of news President Biden has a plan to get rid of ALL FOSSIL FUEL IN THE ELECTRIC GRID BY 2035! This would be a HUGE change and would require enormous amounts of new construction. It would mean a lot of jobs but also a lot less money for big oil companies. It's controversial but I hope it works out smile.gif

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/...n-free-by-2035/

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 26 2021, 07:26 PM) *
Generally the public transportation is very good here in Denmark, from busses to metro to trains. And in shorter distances (like up to 5-6 miles a lot of people just ride bicycles, some even further distances). Of course we still have many people riding cars, don't get me wrong.

Then the prices for gas. A gallon is about 5,8 USD here, I believe. I think that's fairly higher than in the US too, right?

EDIT: Also electrical battery powered bicycles with assisting motors are becoming a popular thing here too. They assist you, but you still have to use the pedals, but the motor helps you ride faster with less resistance, so it's good for longer distances. They're a bit expensive though. I have one too, which looks like this:

Attached Image

The motor is in the crank and the battery is in the frame.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 28 2021, 10:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ May 26 2021, 06:51 PM) *
Completely agree with Phil.

I can never see the UK going all electric by 2030. Infrastructure cannot be put in place for this. I love engines and the thought of going away from that saddens me.

Also how much greener is it mass producing big batteries and disposing of them.

With the euro regulations manufacturers have to comply with and are regularly updating engines to meet the standards meaning cleaner for the environment. Am fine with this but getting rid of fuelled engines is not the right thing to do.

For the greener thing to work it would need the full world involved. Again dont think that would be possible. The UK is a very small footprint compared to the rest of the world.

I could definitely see alot more accidents happening with going all electric. Pedestrians crossing the road because they dont hear anything coming. Also with electric motorbikes filtering through traffic and some one pulling out on them because they dont hear them. Seen it already in big cities like London.

it is not greener . We saw what would happen when we lost power and could not get "natural" electricity due to snow/weather. Germany loves telling the world they are completelty green whilst buying Nuclear power from france. The only way to get that much is coal powered or Nuclear (which no one wants) not to mention sources of travel that electricity can't handle (planes , trains, boats), the time it would take to recharge at a station when everyone else is in line to do the same and then the "power" station goes down and no one has alternatives. I believe something else will come along well before electricity is capable enough, if we have not already passed up natural gas which powers better and is not as harsh on the environment.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 28 2021, 11:19 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2021, 12:56 PM) *
Thats very clever indeed! One more bit of news President Biden has a plan to get rid of ALL FOSSIL FUEL IN THE ELECTRIC GRID BY 2035! This would be a HUGE change and would require enormous amounts of new construction. It would mean a lot of jobs but also a lot less money for big oil companies. It's controversial but I hope it works out smile.gif

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/...n-free-by-2035/

And monkeys might fly out of my butt. That is a pipe dream without some kind of new energy source or going fully nuclear. Wind and solar simply cannot substitute fossil fuels in generating power, period, full stop, end of story and that's all she wrote. And do you know how many acres of wind or solar farms it takes to equal what one coal fired plant can produce? It's not even remotely close to equal.
Then there is the problem with disposing of old solar panels which are toxic waste.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 28 2021, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 28 2021, 11:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
At least it's an act to try to improve our use of energy and a search of finding a viable source of energy rather than draining the earth of a finite source and messing up the climate (if you believe that, which I do), right?

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 29 2021, 12:03 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 29 2021, 12:40 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 28 2021, 01:57 PM) *
At least it's an act to try to improve our use of energy and a search of finding a viable source of energy rather than draining the earth of a finite source and messing up the climate (if you believe that, which I do), right?

I can appreciate that, the sentiment, but that time frame simply isn't feasible with the alternatives we have now, even when you add existing hydroelectric and such.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 29 2021, 03:52 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2021, 02:02 AM
The good news is that TESLA is doing large battery backups of solar grids in Australia and soon in the states. So that the next time we have one of those storms in texas, the battery backups will come online and prevent the same kind of tragedy. It's a battery backup for a solar farm. They are already using it full stop end of story. It scales to the Terawatt/Hr range. So yeah, it's already a viable system. We are just slow on the uptake. BTW the law is already on the books in England. They are going to beat us to the punch by quite a bit.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 28 2021, 05:56 PM) *
it is not greener . We saw what would happen when we lost power and could not get "natural" electricity due to snow/weather. Germany loves telling the world they are completelty green whilst buying Nuclear power from france. The only way to get that much is coal powered or Nuclear (which no one wants) not to mention sources of travel that electricity can't handle (planes , trains, boats), the time it would take to recharge at a station when everyone else is in line to do the same and then the "power" station goes down and no one has alternatives. I believe something else will come along well before electricity is capable enough, if we have not already passed up natural gas which powers better and is not as harsh on the environment.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 29 2021, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 29 2021, 03:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 29 2021, 02:02 AM) *
The good news is that TESLA is doing large battery backups of solar grids in Australia and soon in the states. So that the next time we have one of those storms in texas, the battery backups will come online and prevent the same kind of tragedy. It's a battery backup for a solar farm. They are already using it full stop end of story. It scales to the Terawatt/Hr range. So yeah, it's already a viable system. We are just slow on the uptake. BTW the law is already on the books in England. They are going to beat us to the punch by quite a bit.

lets not forget about by products of solar feilds =Global Warming on steroids
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...RDS-fly-it.html
https://phys.org/news/2016-11-solar-island-...cale-power.html

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2021, 05:14 AM
If we start looking to the daily mail for scientific advice we are already doomed smile.gif While a few birds will get scorched, it hardly outweighs the benfits. Also the "heat effect" is limited to about 100 yards around the solar farm so not a big deal. Just more hype. Here is a quote from your article.

the added heat dissipates quickly and can't be measured 100 feet away from the power plants.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 28 2021, 10:49 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 30 2021, 05:17 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2021, 06:22 AM
Thought I'd ad this to the thread. There is a NEW COUNTACH!! And it's a HYBRID!! yup. More than 800 horses and it has a battery with a 12 cylinder. As if the 12 cylinder engine wasnt enough smile.gif Also classic scissor doors. if this is the future of cars im a happy guy smile.gif I think it would be allowed in the UK as it's a hybrid, i mean after the 2030 ban takes place but i'm not sure.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2021, 09:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 15 2021, 06:22 AM) *
Thought I'd ad this to the thread. There is a NEW COUNTACH!! And it's a HYBRID!! yup. More than 800 horses and it has a battery with a 12 cylinder. As if the 12 cylinder engine wasnt enough smile.gif Also classic scissor doors. if this is the future of cars im a happy guy smile.gif I think it would be allowed in the UK as it's a hybrid, i mean after the 2030 ban takes place but i'm not sure.

After 2030 you would be able to buy that awesome beast in the UK until 2035, then all hybrib car sales are banned.

Going on what we've been chatting about Todd, it might be an idea for manufacturers to have a suitable external soundtrack to match the looks and performance of electric cars,, on performance models there could be a lovely sonorous performance induction and exhaust sound track, on town cars it could be just a normal exhaust sound this would help with pedestrian and cyclist safety too wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 03:16 AM

Evidently the "piped in fake sound" thing is very controversial? Been reading wads of angry folks saying how horrible and lame it is to pipe in fake sound. I didn't think people would be so upset by this? I thought it was just a feature and would be expanded in the future as in in car purchase. To make your car sound like a ferrari etc. when there is no engine noise as a car might be electric. Seems some folks really hate this idea. Have you run across this?

I was watching a rally of old lambos on youtube and it was kinda funny when the support lambo started spewing smoke and 4 cars went down and had to be repaired before they got where they were going. So one good thing for lambo owners could be reliability when they switch to all battery smile.gif

The guy making the video was the only car to make it the entire way smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2021, 04:49 AM) *
After 2030 you would be able to buy that awesome beast in the UK until 2035, then all hybrib car sales are banned.

Going on what we've been chatting about Todd, it might be an idea for manufacturers to have a suitable external soundtrack to match the looks and performance of electric cars,, on performance models there could be a lovely sonorous performance induction and exhaust sound track, on town cars it could be just a normal exhaust sound this would help with pedestrian and cyclist safety too wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2021, 06:41 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2021, 07:07 AM
Most petrol heads don't like the piped in sound in the cabin, me included, it's not overpowering and people I;ve had in my car don't really notice it, they don't even notice the exhaust not change when switching to sport mode but petrol heads are a different breed and notice everything biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 16 2021, 08:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Piped in Fake sound argument = Modellers vs tube amps

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2021, 10:34 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 16 2021, 08:36 AM) *
Piped in Fake sound argument = Modellers vs tube amps

Except the piped in sound isn't as good as a modeller wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 06:41 PM
I didn't realize it was such a controversial topic. Some petrol heads feel very strongly about this issue. it seems a minor thing to me but I guess I'm not a full on "petrol head" smile.gif If I were, evidently I'd be on one side or the other screaming, from the look of it.

it seems a small thing though? if one wants it, great, if not, just turn it off right? It can be turned off yes?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2021, 02:07 AM) *
Most petrol heads don't like the piped in sound in the cabin, me included, it's not overpowering and people I;ve had in my car don't really notice it, they don't even notice the exhaust not change when switching to sport mode but petrol heads are a different breed and notice everything biggrin.gif

I think it will get better with time like we talked about. I do see "in car purchase" of Ferrari engine noise for one's electric car in the future smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2021, 05:34 AM) *
Except the piped in sound isn't as good as a modeller wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2021, 07:40 PM
I haven't found a way to turn mine off yet rolleyes.gif

If I'm ticking over in sport mode I get a throbbing sound like a V8 is behind me, I think the pitch of the piped in sound at tickover is very close to the actual engine sound that it gives that effect like when you're running up to the next string and get close, it kinda wobbles, I don't know what it's technically called.

Peace

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 16 2021, 06:41 PM) *
I didn't realize it was such a controversial topic. Some petrol heads feel very strongly about this issue. it seems a minor thing to me but I guess I'm not a full on "petrol head" smile.gif If I were, evidently I'd be on one side or the other screaming, from the look of it.

it seems a small thing though? if one wants it, great, if not, just turn it off right? It can be turned off yes?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2021, 06:00 AM
In the tesla you can not only pick your engine sound but you can select your own horn sound!!! It can be just about anything including APPLAUSE and this is heard outside the cabin at full volume as the cars horn sound. Yup. it's only a matter of time until the "in app purchase" finds its way in to tesla and every other vendors infotainment system. I'm surprised it's not already available. smile.gif

*This is one of the fastest cars ever built for the road. 2.0 sec 0 to 60. You can beat that if you have millions to spend though.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2021, 02:40 PM) *
I haven't found a way to turn mine off yet rolleyes.gif

If I'm ticking over in sport mode I get a throbbing sound like a V8 is behind me, I think the pitch of the piped in sound at tickover is very close to the actual engine sound that it gives that effect like when you're running up to the next string and get close, it kinda wobbles, I don't know what it's technically called.

Peace

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 18 2021, 09:51 AM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:01 AM