Top 5 Underrated Guitarists
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2013, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I just found this list made by "That Metal Show" guys an I was thinking that we could start our own list!

Here you have it:

TMS Top 5 Underrated Guitarists
1. Richie Kotzen
2. Brad Whitford
3. Dave Meniketti
4. Chris Broderick
5. Wolf Hoffmann

Eddie Trunk
1. Richie Kotzen
2. Dave Meniketti
3. Wolf Hoffmann
4. John 5
5. Snake Sabo/Scotti Hill

Jim Florentine
1. Tom Morello
2. Chris Broderick
3. Mike McCready
4. Phil Demmel
5. Mike Mushok

Don Jamiseon
1. Brad Whitford
2. Scott Gorham
3. Phil Campbell
4. Paul Quinn
5. Kurdt Vanderhoof

This is the link: http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2013-06-10/...ted-guitarists/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 10 2013, 08:21 PM
GMC:er
Those lists are very funny laugh.gif

to my opinion , most underrated

Andy La Rocque
Alex Skolnick
Vivian Campbell
Jeff Hanneman (R.I.P.)
Jeff Waters

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 10 2013, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 10 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Those lists are very funny laugh.gif

to my opinion , most underrated

Alex Skolnick

Truth!

When I see that name I think of TSO, then remember the great job he does in Testament.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 10 2013, 10:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im not 100% sure what qualifies a guitarist to be considered 'underrated' but in terms of maybe not getting enough mainstream acknowledgement for being awesome ...... I would add Peter Green and probably Alex Lifeson.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jun 10 2013, 10:12 PM
Definitely agree about Richie Kotzen!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 10 2013, 10:23 PM
Don't think I could even name five. But I think Satchel from Steel Panther is definitely underrated, given the nature of the band.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2013, 10:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 10 2013, 04:23 PM) *
Truth!

When I see that name I think of TSO, then remember the great job he does in Testament.

They had Alex making solos in one episode of That Metal Show.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 10 2013, 10:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If we are talking about underrated as not so well known this is my list:

1. Tosin Abasai (he's better know among guitarists that music in general)
2.Linde Lindstrom
3. Matt Heafy

That's all I can really think of.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
leonard478
Jun 11 2013, 12:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
I honestly think Andy Timmons is under rated although he has some decent exposure. Him and well all the instructors here at GMC. i think we've had a thread about that before, but you all are exceptional guitarists smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2013, 07:02 PM) *
Hey guys! I just found this list made by "That Metal Show" guys an I was thinking that we could start our own list!

Here you have it:

1. Richie Kotzen
2. Brad Whitford
3. Dave Meniketti
4. Chris Broderick
5. Wolf Hoffmann

Eddie Trunk
1. Richie Kotzen
2. Dave Meniketti
3. Wolf Hoffmann
4. John 5

Jim Florentine
1. Tom Morello
2. Chris Broderick
3. Mike McCready
4. Phil Demmel
5. Mike Mushok

Don Jamiseon
1. Brad Whitford
2. Scott Gorham
3. Phil Campbell
4. Paul Quinn
5. Kurdt Vanderhoof

This post has been edited by leonard478: Jun 11 2013, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 11 2013, 07:43 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
philip sayce my numer 1, listen to his music alot and people are always askin "who is this".
#2 dan jacobs from atreyu
#3 tosin absi from animals as leaders
#4 ian d'so from billy talent, i love the jazz guitar incorperated into real punk music
# and john frusciante wish he would do another project with good musicians like rhcp, and stop dissapearing and releasing strange solo work.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 11 2013, 08:21 AM
Instructor
There's a bunch of them, but my top 5 would be:

Mattias IA Eklundh
Michael Lee Firkins
Andreas Oberg
Bret Garsed
Ron Thal

With the exception of Ron Thal, I had the pleasure of listening to all of these guys perform live and got to speak with them in person - they are as cool as the play and yes, they are extremely underrated.

BUT smile.gif do not forget - we live in a world where the perspectives are far from being those that we have... So, don't be amazed by the fact that these guys don't receive the recognition we would offer them.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 11 2013, 08:47 AM
Instructor
I think we are goinf in the bad direction in this thread. Guitarist who is a face of Vigier and get's his reference from Satriani what makes him playin in Guns''n'Roses is probably not underrated tongue.gif Ron Thal

Andy Timmons ? Guys who is an icon of beautiful phrasing and feeling, who's constantly on the "mouths" of guitar players at every age? Nope...I think he's rated very high and people do know about him smile.gif

I would rather go for some players like Muris Varajic - We can see his lessons, Guitar idol performance and some videos for solo performances but...as a world I think He should get much more attention from people. Not only for his crazy skills but for what he does even if he has to play 3 notes per bar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxoCYuS5ttY - love this tune

Maybe try to find guys like this...

Tosin Abasi is very well know - comparing to many other modern players. This might be combination of his playing indeed but plus being at the right place, at the right time with this kind of music he does with Animals as Leaders. I wouldn't put him to the underrated players group.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2013, 02:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 11 2013, 04:47 AM) *
I think we are goinf in the bad direction in this thread. Guitarist who is a face of Vigier and get's his reference from Satriani what makes him playin in Guns''n'Roses is probably not underrated tongue.gif Ron Thal

Andy Timmons ? Guys who is an icon of beautiful phrasing and feeling, who's constantly on the "mouths" of guitar players at every age? Nope...I think he's rated very high and people do know about him smile.gif

I would rather go for some players like Muris Varajic - We can see his lessons, Guitar idol performance and some videos for solo performances but...as a world I think He should get much more attention from people. Not only for his crazy skills but for what he does even if he has to play 3 notes per bar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxoCYuS5ttY - love this tune

Maybe try to find guys like this...

Tosin Abasi is very well know - comparing to many other modern players. This might be combination of his playing indeed but plus being at the right place, at the right time with this kind of music he does with Animals as Leaders. I wouldn't put him to the underrated players group.

I understand your point of view. This players are not underrated among guitar players like us, but maybe they are for music fans in general.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 12 2013, 07:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 11 2013, 01:00 PM) *
I understand your point of view. This players are not underrated among guitar players like us, but maybe they are for music fans in general.

Gabe is right - in our world all these dudes are very well known, but in this case we are definitely talking about artists that get the sort of recognition received by someone like Madonna, for instance biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 12 2013, 07:48 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 11 2013, 11:45 PM) *
like Madonna, for instance

Who?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 12 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Madonna, man laugh.gif you know who that is biggrin.gif I could've chosen any uber famous artist, but she was the first that came to my mind - didn't want to use Justin Bieber again laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 12 2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor
I get Your point tongue.gif In this case I think Santana rules. I did some experiment once. If You ask 10 random people on the street who is the best guiitarist in the world ...9 per 10 answer - Santana biggrin.gif

Is he overrated ? tongue.gif I have nothing to this guy and like his playing but I hate Samba Pa Ti...for me it's a Samba faux paux tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 12 2013, 11:33 AM
I think this comes down to who is actually doing the rating and who acknowledges who and who is mainstream and who isn't.

People nowadays are more likely to be more aware of Rappers and DJs and Beibers/Madonnas/Presleys...rather than who can do the most tricks and speed on a guitar fretboard....What about all the Jazz musicians (not just Jazz Guitarists) who are relatively unknown outside the Jazz World? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jun 12 2013, 11:34 AM

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Jun 12 2013, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2013, 07:02 PM) *

Here you have it:

1. Richie Kotzen
2. Brad Whitford
3. Dave Meniketti
4. Chris Broderick
5. Wolf Hoffmann

Eddie Trunk
1. Richie Kotzen
2. Dave Meniketti
3. Wolf Hoffmann
4. John 5

Jim Florentine
1. Tom Morello
2. Chris Broderick
3. Mike McCready
4. Phil Demmel
5. Mike Mushok

Don Jamiseon
1. Brad Whitford
2. Scott Gorham
3. Phil Campbell
4. Paul Quinn
5. Kurdt Vanderhoof

what! no James Murphy?

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2013, 07:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 12 2013, 10:33 AM) *
I think this comes down to who is actually doing the rating and who acknowledges who and who is mainstream and who isn't.

People nowadays are more likely to be more aware of Rappers and DJs and Beibers/Madonnas/Presleys...rather than who can do the most tricks and speed on a guitar fretboard....What about all the Jazz musicians (not just Jazz Guitarists) who are relatively unknown outside the Jazz World? biggrin.gif

Indeed, but everything in the world is relative after all, ain't it?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:14 PM