3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Warrior Bushido Task 21
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2012, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Task 21: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...note-exercises/

Hey Guys, this week I want you to concentrate only on the 1st lick of this lesson. This is the lick that will be in the 1st video part. I've chosen it because it's a straight 16th note run and it fits nicely with the 16th note pentatonic ideas we've been looking at smile.gif

If you can get 160 then great, but I'm going to set a minimum tempo of 130bpm !

I know you guys like hammering out these licks, because they don't take ages to learn and you can just spend the time getting better at it.. so I'll be expecting some decent participation on this Task, ok gentlemen ?

Deadline is next Friday 15th June or I will make survive for a week on nothing but water and tofu.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 15 2012, 11:49 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Here is my take at full speed, 16th notes at 160 bpm.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2012, 12:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 15 2012, 11:49 AM) *
Here is my take at full speed, 16th notes at 160 bpm.

Man, don't you ever rest ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Congrats, you have a Donut.

Seriously though, that was really tight and accurate - well done ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 15 2012, 12:21 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 15 2012, 11:15 AM) *
Man, don't you ever rest ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Congrats, you have a Donut.

Seriously though, that was really tight and accurate - well done ! smile.gif

Ummm now you make me feel bad tongue.gif I am on a break, it is time for me to get better smile.gif
I was just lucky this week, this is the kind of thing I practiced so much, I would normally start to do this at this tempo and go up..

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jun 15 2012, 02:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well that was quick. laugh.gif

On a side note, I didn't know how bad I actually suck at AP runs, especially the pentatonic ones. I think this will be easier than the last 2 (that I'm still practicing) so hopefully I can make a good showing here.

Ben, not to make excuses but I'm still slightly obsessing over finishing the last Vibrato task (Lavendell). That has also eaten a large portion of my time but I should have takes for all three of the AP tasks here fairly shortly however I'll warn you that they will not be nearly as fast as some of the other submissions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jun 15 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Ben, not to make excuses but I'm still slightly obsessing over finishing the last Vibrato task (Lavendell). That has also eaten a large portion of my time but I should have takes for all three of the AP tasks here fairly shortly however I'll warn you that they will not be nearly as fast as some of the other submissions.

No worries Greg ! smile.gif It's all good !

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 15 2012, 12:21 PM) *
Ummm now you make me feel bad tongue.gif I am on a break, it is time for me to get better smile.gif

I was only kidding man wink.gif You just couldn't resist the thought of a Donut- just admit it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 15 2012, 04:54 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 15 2012, 03:07 PM) *
I was only kidding man wink.gif You just couldn't resist the thought of a Donut- just admit it biggrin.gif

Hehe biggrin.gif I just didn't want to spend another week at the Temple with only water and tofu biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 15 2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, quick people.. Nice! smile.gif I need to practice.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 15 2012, 05:55 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
The donut has been won before I've had a sip of coffee... I'm afraid tofu does not go so well with coffee tongue.gif

Congrats O smile.gif That was tight!

This is the perfect lick that I need to be practicing and would like to finally get this down... I've always stumbled with string switching with these particular runs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2012, 06:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 15 2012, 05:55 PM) *
The donut has been won before I've had a sip of coffee... I'm afraid tofu does not go so well with coffee tongue.gif

No, I can't imagine Tofu and Coffee (Toffee ?!) really being a nice experience.. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 16 2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Heres my take. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 16 2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 16 2012, 06:15 AM) *
Heres my take. smile.gif

Nice one Dude !! You guys are tearing it up this week ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 16 2012, 09:51 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
All right Warriors, let's keep it tight this week and destroy this exercise and send it back to the depths of Hell it was summoned from tongue.gif Here is my take at 180 bpm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 16 2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oh man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 16 2012, 10:01 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 16 2012, 08:57 AM) *
Oh man!

You will thank me by the end of the week Master Maharzan smile.gif that is if we don't all get hurt biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif But joking aside, we should warm up well for this one to reach the speed of light..

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jun 16 2012, 11:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
Is it ok if I play it backwards?

I could probably do around 145 on a good day, but there is something stopping me from reaching beyond that point when it's outside all the way. I don't know how you guys do it. For me, it takes FOREVER to move the pick over/across the string before hitting that string. It doesn't matter how much I isolate that very motion, there must be a trick which I haven't found yet.

Starting with an upstroke is only a temporary solution, of course, and I lose the rhythm slightly. But it's a lot faster for me.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 16 2012, 01:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jun 16 2012, 11:20 AM) *
Is it ok if I play it backwards?

I could probably do around 145 on a good day, but there is something stopping me from reaching beyond that point when it's outside all the way. I don't know how you guys do it. For me, it takes FOREVER to move the pick over/across the string before hitting that string. It doesn't matter how much I isolate that very motion, there must be a trick which I haven't found yet.

Starting with an upstroke is only a temporary solution, of course, and I lose the rhythm slightly. But it's a lot faster for me.

I remember that I discovered I had less problems with outside picking when I allowed my whole hand to move a bit more when crossing the strings. How do you do it ? Do you use the thumb joint to move the pick when crossing strings ?

If you keep the motion as small as when you pick on one string then that might be holding you back ?

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jun 16 2012, 08:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 16 2012, 12:03 PM) *
I remember that I discovered I had less problems with outside picking when I allowed my whole hand to move a bit more when crossing the strings. How do you do it ? Do you use the thumb joint to move the pick when crossing strings ?

If you keep the motion as small as when you pick on one string then that might be holding you back ?

I don't really move the thumb and index finger. I have deliberately avoided that, because I can't move my fingers back and forth nearly as fast as I can move my wrist, so I don't see how it could help much. But maybe it is the way to go. I'll try it at lower speeds.

Or it could all lie in the pick stroke prior to the outside stroke - maybe one has to accentuate or exaggerate the motion of the previous stroke, make it longer, to be better prepared for the next stroke.

I don't think I keep the motion too small. The total range of motion should be at least as wide when inside picking, right? With outside picking, it SHOULD be easier to minimize the range of motion, since you don't need to move the pick further than just past the string before striking it. With inside picking, I believe it is easier to use a more uncontrolled motion after striking the string.

Oh well.. I guess I'll have to record myself with a high-speed camera and analyze every move I make, every breath I take.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 16 2012, 10:42 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
160bpm.

I'm starting to make some changes that are helping me with this outside picking. I used to only play runs with either inside or economy picking when changing strings. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 17 2012, 11:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 16 2012, 10:42 PM) *
160bpm.

I'm starting to make some changes that are helping me with this outside picking. I used to only play runs with either inside or economy picking when changing strings. smile.gif

Sounding good D to the G !!

What changes have you been making ? smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:16 PM