How To Tune My Guitar To Dropped D?
Kaappari
Jan 10 2010, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
I know only how to tune my guitar on regular tuning(dunno whats it called). Can someone help me to get it tuned dropped D?

My guitar tuner is this www.thomann.de/fi/boss_tu80.htm
if it helps any.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jan 10 2010, 03:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
make the low e sound like the d string (3rd lowest) or make the tuner say d when u tune with tuner

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 10 2010, 03:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Tune your low e string to d so that you get from deepest to highest string: dadgbe

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kaappari
Jan 10 2010, 03:31 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 10 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Tune your low e string to d so that you get from deepest to highest string: dadgbe

So i need to tune my E string(most thickest) To D?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 10 2010, 03:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yes tune the thickest E string down to D. The string will feel a little looser because of less tension.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 10 2010, 03:36 PM

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kaappari
Jan 10 2010, 03:53 PM
Ok maybe im stupid but i dont know how to do it. My tuner says E6 when i try to tune e string down. It doesnt chance to D6 :/ How this can be done with tuner?

I know how to tune ½ step down on all strings tho. I just need to switch on a small b on tuner setup.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 10 2010, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
That is not a b-button, it stands for the note notation - in this case flat. The #-button stands for sharp.

If you press the *b-button* and tune down half a step it says Eb (E-Flat). If you push the #-button and do the same thing it says D# (D-sharp). E flat and D sharp are the same notes just a diffrent notation: half a step down from E is the same as half a step up from D.

All you have to do is go a full step down from E! Press the *b-button* and tune down the low E to Eb and then keep tuning down until it says D (don't worry about any numbers, regardless of it being D6 or Dwhatever - I guess it will say D5...)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 10 2010, 04:11 PM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 10 2010, 04:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *
That is not a b-button, it stands for the note notation - in this case flat. The #-button stands for sharp.

If you press the *b-button* and tune down half a step it says Eb (E-Flat). If you push the #-button and do the same thing it says D# (D-sharp). E flat and D sharp are the same notes just a diffrent notation: half a step down from E is the same as half a step up from D.

All you have to do is go a full step down from E! Press the *b-button* and tune down the low E to Eb and then keep tuning down until it says D (don't worry about any numbers, regardless of it being D6 or Dwhatever - I guess it will say D5...)

D5 would be the high E string tuned down one whole step. D3 would be more appropriate, I'd say! laugh.gif

But, yes, you should be able to just tune down untill it says D. Don't worry about "over-doing" it, as you're actually "under-doing" it, so there's no extra tension and no string will break, hopefully smile.gif .

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 10 2010, 04:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 10 2010, 04:23 PM) *
D5 would be the high E string tuned down one whole step. D3 would be more appropriate, I'd say! laugh.gif

I don't even know what those numbers stand for! laugh.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 10 2010, 04:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 10 2010, 04:25 PM) *
I don't even know what those numbers stand for! laugh.gif

Octave-numbers. C4 being the middle C. Then it goes on of course, upwards and downwards (C#4, D4, D#4...C5, C#5... etc)

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 10 2010, 04:30 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jan 10 2010, 11:01 PM
you can even use your ear, especially if you have a hardtail. tune it to your 4th string, which is also D. you can play the natural harmonic above the 12th fret on the 6th string (E), and then tune it down till it sounds exactly the same as your 4th string.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 11 2010, 06:45 PM
Instructor
Tune to standard tuning, then press the 5th fret on the A string, and that is D note. Then tune the low E string so it sounds the same (but octave lower).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 14 2010, 07:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 10 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Octave-numbers. C4 being the middle C. Then it goes on of course, upwards and downwards (C#4, D4, D#4...C5, C#5... etc)

I think C3 is the middle C on a piano/keyboard

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2010, 03:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 14 2010, 07:03 PM) *
I think C3 is the middle C on a piano/keyboard

I think so too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:57 PM