6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
I'm Creating A Monster, Mwwwaahhaahaaaa!
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 30 2008, 11:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Heh, I am a little worried about the cooling guys - I have a couple of huge CPU coolers, but I am prepared to go to water cooling if I have to - thing is this PC needs to work in a hottish room as you will have seen from my studio blog, so I am half expectng overheating and stability issues ...

I'm going to try very hard to make Vista work - you don't know until you try! I can always fall back to XP if absolutely necessary though ....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Sep 30 2008, 11:41 PM
GMC:er
all right, just I bought so much recording stuff, and it wouldn't work on Vista, and that mad me have to quit 2 colabs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 30 2008, 11:52 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Nice Andrew. I admire you for taking on the build up yourself. smile.gif Just upgraded myself to an XPS 420 with Intel Core 2 Q6600, a 2.4GHz quad-core, 4g of ram. With the ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card, the 3d images are amazing.

I would keep that chasis as open as possible with all you got in there. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 1 2008, 12:04 AM
Instructor
good luck with your machine. Sounds like a powerful beast that can serve you for a long time.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 1 2008, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie
hi,andrew..sounds like an awesome pc your building, i,ve had vista home premium for over a year and had absolutely no problems with it !!! so good luck on the monster !!!!!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2008, 12:37 AM
Instructor
Andrew this machine will be amazing!

I am thinking of upgrading my computer or just buying a new one very soon.
Please let me know how yours will do with video and audio editing at the same time. A lot of people suggest avoiding Vista but don't take my word for it I never tried it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 1 2008, 01:05 AM
I PROMISE you will hate Vista. I had the 64 bit Ultimate version I tried and I tried. It was unreliable, un supported, and a disaster. I highly suggest you steer away from it...

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Oct 1 2008, 01:26 AM
Ive been running vista...32bit and 64bit on different machines, and with their more recent updates like service pack 1 I have had 0 issues. Don't hate on vista to much, it definitely has some good things going for it. I personally have never had any issue with recording DAW's or driver support for ASIO or anything like that, and I've used quite a few different DAW's trying to figure out which i like best.

And may I ask why the 8 core machine Andrew? My quad and render out a very layered project song in under a minute. I also do video editing and have rendered a highly compressed 30min. long video that i made in about 35-40min. which is pretty good considering the format I was using. Just seems like a kinda overkill processor setup. I am however highly jealous of your dual Raid setup blink.gif

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
inertia
Oct 1 2008, 02:18 AM
Hey Andrew, sounds like a great system. My only two concerns would be 1) vista compatibility with software you want to use 2) mainly 64 bit compatibility with software you want to use, 64 bit has not garnered the support that one would expect leaving many early adopters in a bind. My main suggestion would be determine which music software/video software/ and other apps/games you want to use in advance and check system requirements to ensure that they 64 bit patches or versions

+Quote Post
bamba23
Oct 1 2008, 11:03 AM
W0W
my comptuer maybe the worst here.
1 core,900 RAM veryy veryyy old graphic card
i hope that machine wont eat u

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 1 2008, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Sep 30 2008, 10:00 PM) *
Will our slower computers be able to play your lessons still?

wink.gif

I think our computers will set alight with the power of his lessons and destroy all our computer kit sad.gif Means he gets the ultimate fast connection to the net and GMC as less traffic biggrin.gif

The 64 bit version is the correct choice. In the next 4 years 32 bit will be phased out slowly. 64 bit is getting more support every day.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Duncan
Oct 1 2008, 11:23 AM
Massive overkill. But hey, if you have the money!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Oct 1 2008, 11:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 30 2008, 10:43 PM) *
*Patronizing tone of voice *

There there, Jord, I'm sure it will be quite fast ...

Mine on the other hand will render GMC lessons so fast that it will go back in time and implode the Space Time continuum! Mwaaahaaahaaa!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Congrats on the new computer Andrew smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 1 2008, 11:26 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Since you will be working in hot environment , I would suggest maybe looking into water cooling thing.Its both cool and very efficient smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 1 2008, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 30 2008, 11:30 PM) *
Heh, I am a little worried about the cooling guys - I have a couple of huge CPU coolers, but I am prepared to go to water cooling if I have to - thing is this PC needs to work in a hottish room as you will have seen from my studio blog, so I am half expectng overheating and stability issues ...

I'm going to try very hard to make Vista work - you don't know until you try! I can always fall back to XP if absolutely necessary though ....

There really isn't anything wrong with Vista. I'm skipping Vista out however and getting the released next year Windows 7 OS which should be a lot better.

As for cooling you have a huge PC and you really need cooling on a massive level. Water Cooling I'd definitely go with.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Duncan
Oct 1 2008, 11:31 AM
Water Cooling is a necessity. Also how big is the PSU?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 1 2008, 02:02 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 30 2008, 08:05 PM) *
I PROMISE you will hate Vista. I had the 64 bit Ultimate version I tried and I tried. It was unreliable, un supported, and a disaster. I highly suggest you steer away from it...

QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:26 PM) *
Ive been running vista...32bit and 64bit on different machines, and with their more recent updates like service pack 1 I have had 0 issues. Don't hate on vista to much, it definitely has some good things going for it. I personally have never had any issue with recording DAW's or driver support for ASIO or anything like that, and I've used quite a few different DAW's trying to figure out which i like best.

This is exactly why I am trying Vista for myself - 2 people, 2 opposite opinions! I'll just have to see how it works out for my personal usage ...

64 bit is the way to go for the future - I still might be a little ahead of the curve, but time will tell. And I still have the option of running a 32 bit OS if I really have issues.

QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:26 PM) *
And may I ask why the 8 core machine Andrew? My quad and render out a very layered project song in under a minute. I also do video editing and have rendered a highly compressed 30min. long video that i made in about 35-40min. which is pretty good considering the format I was using. Just seems like a kinda overkill processor setup. I am however highly jealous of your dual Raid setup blink.gif

I'm sick to deat of waiting for my PC to do stuff, so I went from the sublime to the ridiculous of course (its a character flaw I know ...).

I'm pleased to hear that a Quad core would have been great for the stuff I want to do, so now I have 2 x great smile.gif Also, I do a lot of 3d rendering which is even more demanding than Video & Music - I currently render 10 second video clips (not even complex ones) overnight - takes about 12 hours. I should be able to get that down to a couple of hours which would be an improvement but still nowhere near instant!

QUOTE (Duncan @ Oct 1 2008, 06:31 AM) *
Water Cooling is a necessity. Also how big is the PSU?

650W - hopefully that will handle it, but if not, a PSU upgrade is cheap enough. I'll wait and see with the water, but I will start pricing options up! Any recommendations from anyone on that? I have never used WC before ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 1 2008, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 1 2008, 02:02 PM) *
I have never used WC before ...

You have never used a toilet before biggrin.gif You must have a bladder of steel lol tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 1 2008, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 1 2008, 09:23 AM) *
You have never used a toilet before biggrin.gif You must have a bladder of steel lol tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Oct 1 2008, 04:06 PM
Acoustic Instructor
Congratz on your new Machine Andrew.

I've also recently build a new PC.

2.4 intel Quad core

Intel G35 board

4Gb Ram

Lcd 17"

I also installed Vista 64 bit.Runs very fast.

But I prefer to work in XP.  smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:41 PM