Acoustic Action Changing, Need some advice
Matt23
Mar 13 2009, 07:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
My Seagull acoustic I have is a very nice guitar, but the action is a bit high. I have tried my friend's acoustic which had a much lower action so I know this isn't just a characteristic of acoustics in general.

If I decide to lower it then I will take it in to my local music store so I can get it professionally set-up. I'm just worried about taking my guitar in, especially after hearing stories about guitars being worse after being set-up, since I've no idea how good my local guitar shop are at fixing guitars.

What I'd like to know is how simple it is to change an acoustic's action, and what the chances are my guitar will come out fine, with a nice low action. Also, any idea how much this would cost?

Cheers

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Mar 13 2009, 07:51 PM
GMC:er
if you have one spare bridge (the plastic thing), then you can just try to sand if down a bit. I did that with my acoustic, and that one came out great!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Mar 13 2009, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Mar 13 2009, 06:51 PM) *
if you have one spare bridge (the plastic thing), then you can just try to sand if down a bit. I did that with my acoustic, and that one came out great!

I've tried this in the past and it worked well for me too.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 13 2009, 07:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Mar 13 2009, 06:51 PM) *

I don't have a spare bridge, but are you saying all you need to do is sand the bridge down to lower the action?

+Quote Post
Frederik
Mar 13 2009, 08:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Mar 13 2009, 07:55 PM) *
I don't have a spare bridge, but are you saying all you need to do is sand the bridge down to lower the action?

i works. i did it to

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 13 2009, 08:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
So do you think I should just do it myself instead of taking it in to my music store?

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 13 2009, 08:18 PM
yeah, thats all you have to do.

See what a spare costs and then decide if you want to try it.

If its a $10 part, why not????

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 13 2009, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Mar 13 2009, 07:17 PM) *
So do you think I should just do it myself instead of taking it in to my music store?

Yeah, give it a go Matt! A new 'saddle' will cost all of about £1 or £2!!!
There's only 2 places you can adjust the action as a whole on an acoustic.
1) By filing the string grooves in the Nut to lower at the Headstock end or
2) By sanding the Saddle to lower it at the Bridge.

If you have a rough idea as to how much lower you want the action you should be able to scribe/scratch a line along the saddle as a guide! Use fine sandpaper on a flat surface and sand the saddle on the paper rather than the other way around! PM me if you need some more info!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 13 2009, 10:47 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks guys, I have another question. Does the little bit of white plastic on the bridge that has the string grooves ("the saddle"?) just come out if you take the strings off or is it glued in? What I mean is do I take the (saddle?) out while I'm sanding it or does it stay in the guitar?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 14 2009, 12:12 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've found out the answer to that question so I guess I'll try and sand my saddle sometime this weekend. Thanks for your help guys. smile.gif If you have any advice about this though, I'd really like to hear it cos I don't want to muck it up. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 14 2009, 01:58 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should take it out and sand the flat lower side down, not the upper one with string grooves.Good luck! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Mar 14 2009, 01:59 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor
I think sanding off the top part of the bridge is more easier than bottom part. Just take it step by step mate, it is better to sand off just a little, then put strings on and try it, and send off some more than to overdo it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
Mar 14 2009, 11:27 PM
I believe all acoustics have a truss rod, often accessed through the sound hole (rather than the headstock).

You could probably make some small adjustments with it, but only if the neck is bowed. If it's straight, it won't do you any good. And be careful with it, no sudden moves while adjusting it!! mellow.gif

Sanding down the bottom of the bridge is probably the best idea... NOT the top of the bridge, especially if it's an intonated bridge (or whatever it's called).

Filing the nut can easily turn into a disaster, and you could end up with a lot more problems than you have now. If you file the slots too deep, no bridge/truss-rod adjustment's going to help you, and you'll get a lot of fret-buzz. You'll have to replace the nut, and that's a bit tough. Be careful if you're gonna do it! wink.gif

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 16 2009, 01:55 AM
I had to adjust my acoustic, and I sanded the bridge from the underside. Mine comes out when there is no string tension. I would leave the nut for someone more experienced. It won't cost you much to take it in, but you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get it back.

Or you can try it yourself. If you screw up the nut, it'll cost you another $50 to get it replaced or so. So, it's not the end of the world.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 16 2009, 01:56 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 16 2009, 04:44 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Mar 16 2009, 12:55 AM) *
I had to adjust my acoustic, and I sanded the bridge from the underside. Mine comes out when there is no string tension. I would leave the nut for someone more experienced. It won't cost you much to take it in, but you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get it back.

Or you can try it yourself. If you screw up the nut, it'll cost you another $50 to get it replaced or so. So, it's not the end of the world.

Do you think if I'm sanding the saddle though not the nut it'll be alright?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 AM