Building A Usa Strat On A Budget Pt.4, Even more pics
Mudbone
Oct 21 2010, 10:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Even More pics.

Edit: All the pics didn't fit in one posting, so here are the links to all four posts:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

- The new pickups came with surgical tubing instead of springs.

- New pickups installed in new pickguard.

- New and old, side by side.

- The old knobs didn't fit, so I had to order new ones.

- This is what happens when you're careless with the steel wool. I didn't clean it up properly and now its stuck to the pickups.

- Everything all wired up. Yes I know, its looks like it was soldered by a baboon with severe brain damage.

- New and old strap locks. I ended up stripping the screw on the upper horn straplock. I then tried to drill out the screw and remove it with an extractor. The drill bit broke and got stuck in the screw. If I could only type the words that were coming out of my mouth... So now the straplock is a little wobbly and removing it will be a royal pain in the ass. Its staying like this for now. So heres a tip, remove the neck so you can get to the screw at a better angle, and also so you can predrill the hole first.

- Tremolo installed. The hole for the tremolo was too small, and the tremolo block now binds on the body. This body clearly wasn't designed for a block this big. If you look closely you'll see that the side of the tremolo facing the pickups is rubbing on the wood. So the next step will be to remove some wood. It shouldn't be too difficult, I just haven't decided how I'm gonna do it yet.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Oct 21 2010, 11:23 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 21 2010, 10:40 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Looking great mate! Can't wait to see and maybe hear? the whole thing smile.gif

Looks like you are having a blast doing it too cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 21 2010, 11:38 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 21 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Looking great mate! Can't wait to see and maybe hear? the whole thing smile.gif

Looks like you are having a blast doing it too cool.gif

Thanks Fran, as soon as I find a good way of recording I'll post some sound clips. And I also need to learn some music that suits a Strat - all this time I've been playing balls to the wall metal tongue.gif

I'm having a good time doing this, save for that incident with the broken drill bit, which really ruffled my feathers smile.gif But such a thing is to be expected with any project you do for the first time.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Rik Veldhuizen
Oct 22 2010, 07:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
Looks really nice; love the close up pics and the progress. Enjoy your (almost) new guitar smile.gif ...

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 22 2010, 04:08 PM
I forgot to mention, although you probably already know, that we have this interesting entry in the knowledge base. Just in case you find any ideas of interest for your project in there:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...your_own_Guitar

I already started working on your entry. It's going to be an excellent addition with so many pics and comments.

This post has been edited by Fran: Oct 22 2010, 04:09 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 22 2010, 11:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man,

Glad to see you are enjoying your project and it is coming along so well.

I got suckered into my first project and it went from a hardware change to a full respray as well.... it's really hard doing work on guitars and makes you value how good a good luthier is!! But it's great fun and a great learning experience!!

You really want to hire or borrow a router to take out the extra wood on the trem... A super sharp chisel may be ok but v.risky and hard to do.

Careful when drilling out those holes you can spilt the headstock v.easily, like you say a reamer is the way forward but maybe using a hand held wind drill will give you more control?

The one thing I can say is take your time, don't rush anything, if your getting annoyed walk away and go back a few hours later (a big run in the finish is more than a little frustrating!!)

Oh and if you need any advice head over to www.reranch.com they are a friendly bunch of guys and what people can advise you about on how to play a guitar here they can advise you on how to build one!! Real pros!!

Keep us updated!!

Peace

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 23 2010, 02:41 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
looking great. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 23 2010, 05:21 AM
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Oct 22 2010, 06:56 PM) *
Hey man,

Glad to see you are enjoying your project and it is coming along so well.

I got suckered into my first project and it went from a hardware change to a full respray as well.... it's really hard doing work on guitars and makes you value how good a good luthier is!! But it's great fun and a great learning experience!!

You really want to hire or borrow a router to take out the extra wood on the trem... A super sharp chisel may be ok but v.risky and hard to do.

Careful when drilling out those holes you can spilt the headstock v.easily, like you say a reamer is the way forward but maybe using a hand held wind drill will give you more control?

The one thing I can say is take your time, don't rush anything, if your getting annoyed walk away and go back a few hours later (a big run in the finish is more than a little frustrating!!)

Oh and if you need any advice head over to www.reranch.com they are a friendly bunch of guys and what people can advise you about on how to play a guitar here they can advise you on how to build one!! Real pros!!

Keep us updated!!

Peace

Hey Stratman, good to hear from you. What you said is true, going into to this I didn't realize how much work it was going to be. But its all a learning experience, and that I believe is the most valuable acquisition from this project.

As far as the trem hole, I was planning on using a file and a Dremel to bore out the hole. It may take more time and elbow grease to do it, but at least I'll be able to control how much wood I take off. there really isn't that much wood to remove, two or three mm tops. I've never used a router before, and I have a tendency to get over exuberant with new power tools, so I'd probably make that hole so big I'd be able to stick my head through it tongue.gif

You're absolutely correct about the reamer, but they're about twenty bucks a piece, which is more than I want to dish out. I've already tested out the method of progressively increasing bit size on a 2x4, and it worked out pretty good. The only problem was the wood splintered a little bit on the exit side, but that will be covered by the tuner housing. Maple is denser than pine, so I don't think it will splinter in the same fashion as the 2x4... I hope smile.gif

As far as getting aggravated, thats something I have to work on biggrin.gif I'll check out that link you posted first thing tomorrow morning.

This project will probably be completed sometime within the next 2 to 4 weeks, just need to find time for it with out cutting into practice time smile.gif

Take care

QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 22 2010, 09:41 PM) *
looking great. smile.gif

Thanks dude biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 23 2010, 03:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome stuff man! Get's me inspired....

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 25 2010, 04:36 PM
Here's all current info from all threads in a wiki entry:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rat_On_A_Budget

I'll keep an eye on new info to keep adding to the article smile.gif
If you wish to add/change anything in there just click edit at the top right corner of the wiki window and go for it smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 25 2010, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 25 2010, 11:36 AM) *
Here's all current info from all threads in a wiki entry:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rat_On_A_Budget

I'll keep an eye on new info to keep adding to the article smile.gif
If you wish to add/change anything in there just click edit at the top right corner of the wiki window and go for it smile.gif

Cool Fran, looks great smile.gif Once this project is complete I'll go through the whole thing and polish it up.

By the way, can I add book reviews to the wiki? Theres quite a few book reviews I'd like to do.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 25 2010, 10:58 PM
Instructor
Nice wiring, looks great! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 25 2010, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 25 2010, 05:58 PM) *
Nice wiring, looks great! smile.gif

Thanks Ivan biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 26 2010, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Oct 25 2010, 08:06 PM) *
By the way, can I add book reviews to the wiki? Theres quite a few book reviews I'd like to do.

Sure man, go ahead wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 26 2010, 10:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man,

The dremmel must be about the best bit of kit out there, I have a cheap £15 one but its great!!

Sounds like your doing everything right, testing it on scrap first etc etc , if you do get a little splinter it should be covered by the little metal bit that fits in the whole..

Did you get over to reranch??

peace

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 26 2010, 11:30 PM
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Oct 26 2010, 05:11 PM) *
Hey man,

The dremmel must be about the best bit of kit out there, I have a cheap £15 one but its great!!

Sounds like your doing everything right, testing it on scrap first etc etc , if you do get a little splinter it should be covered by the little metal bit that fits in the whole..

Did you get over to reranch??

peace

I think I figured out a way to prevent splintering on the exit side. If I drill out just the tip of the exit side then lightly sand around edge of the hole it should prevent splintering. I haven't tried it out yet but I will let you know the results smile.gif Even if it doesn't work, you're absolutely right that the tuner housing will cover it anyways.

I did check out that website, but I couldn't find anything on woodworking, am I missing something?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
stratman79
Oct 27 2010, 10:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man, yeah I reckon that should be good...

with regards to reranch it's on the forum where most of the blokes who do repairs/refinishes are.

Most of the stuff over there is way in advance of what your doing (and what I have done) but if you get stuck or want some advice they're very helpful. Also if you get the bug and want to do more then it's the place to go!!

I just skimmed through the first page of the forum and came across this... this is by no way unusual in the standard of the finishing you will see....

But most of them can't play the guitar like people over here can...

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=38629

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 27 2010, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Oct 27 2010, 05:35 AM) *
Hey man, yeah I reckon that should be good...

with regards to reranch it's on the forum where most of the blokes who do repairs/refinishes are.

Most of the stuff over there is way in advance of what your doing (and what I have done) but if you get stuck or want some advice they're very helpful. Also if you get the bug and want to do more then it's the place to go!!

I just skimmed through the first page of the forum and came across this... this is by no way unusual in the standard of the finishing you will see....

But most of them can't play the guitar like people over here can...

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=38629

Cool, this information will be very useful smile.gif That dude did a really nice job with the Les Paul.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 18 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi there Mudbone smile.gif

How are you doing with the project? Let me know if you add any new info/pics so I can update the wiki entry cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 18 2010, 03:59 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 18 2010, 05:51 AM) *
Hi there Mudbone smile.gif

How are you doing with the project? Let me know if you add any new info/pics so I can update the wiki entry cool.gif

I plan on finishing it sometime within the next week. I got held up because I couldn't find a suitable 10mm drill bit (without buying a a whole set), but I just found one yesterday and ordered it. It'll be in sometime next week, so whenever I have a full day off I'll finish it. The only thing that will remain will be replacing the nut. That might take a while because the local luthier is backed up with work for a whole month. But out of the whole project it is a very small piece, so after fixing the bridge and replacing the tuners it can be considered mostly complete biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:20 PM