Chord Progressions
PosterBoy
Jan 19 2015, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Something that completely escaped me in my many years of playing guitar, because of the genre of music I played for many years, which has been folk, country, mainstream rock etc. Is how hard rock, metal and instrumental guitar music doesn't tend to use the same type of chord progressions, or progressions in the same way. Often whole verses use a one or two chord vamps or the same bass note with different chords on top.

This is some thing, that took me ages to realise especially once I understood modes, but couldn't apply it to the music I played due to very diatonic chord progressions.

This is one thing that seems to be missing from guitar instruction, and especially when teaching modes.
It's all well and good telling people to use a drone note and listen to the sound of the different modes, but very few people show how to create a chord progression to use to play a certain mode.

I've got the Andy Timmons Resolution tab book, that Andy actually verified the tab for, and it's really enlightening to look at the progressions

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2015, 04:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Posterboy! This is a very cool post and it would be awesome if you can share here examples of the progressions that you are finding out on Andy's music.

Out theory boards are full of great articles based on modes, and particularly this article talks about modal chord progressions, check it out!

LINK

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 19 2015, 08:41 PM
Learning Roadie
One of the easiest tracks I've looked at is actually Satch's Flying a Blue Dream as it's so obviously Lydian, this is the track that I had the Aha! moment with

It isn't a normal chord progression like G Am C D

We have pairs of chords over a shared bass note. All of the pairs of chords are the V and IV of their respective keys with the root note of the IV chord, which means we can go to town with the Lydian mode.

D/C - C
Bb/Ab - Ab
D/C - C
A/G - G
G/F - F
D/C - C
Bb/Ab - Ab
D/C - C
Bb/Ab - Ab
G/F - F
D/C - C
Gm11
Csus2
Gm11
Csus2
Gm11
Csus2
Gm11

D/C - C
Bb/Ab - Ab
D/C - C
A/G G
G/F - F
D/C - C
A/G - G
G/F - F
D/C - C

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2015, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Very interesting! As we are talking about the master, I think that this video is a must because he shares his approach to modes for both creating melodic lines and riffs / progressions in a very clever and clear way:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:59 AM