2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Why Do I Hate Jazz?
SirJamsalot
Mar 27 2014, 07:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
I really haven't found anything in the Jazz world I like. in fact, almost all of it sounds like a cat in heat to me. It must be the lack of bends and constant hitting of wrong notes. Don't take it personally if you play jazz. Technically, it's amazing and I admire the heck out of anyone who can triad their way through life - but sonic ally, it gives me dry heaves.

smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
capasso2
Mar 27 2014, 07:56 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 27 2014, 06:40 PM) *
I really haven't found anything in the Jazz world I like. in fact, almost all of it sounds like a cat in heat to me. It must be the lack of bends and constant hitting of wrong notes. Don't take it personally if you play jazz. Technically, it's amazing and I admire the heck out of anyone who can triad their way through life - but sonic ally, it gives me dry heaves.

smile.gif

I agree, I've tried time and time again to get into jazz. The fact of the matter for me is i don't enjoy music that changes its central tonality too frequently. Like a song that just keeps modulating over and over. But learning some jazzy chords isn't a bad thing. I enjoy jazzy sounding songs. Usually softer type stuff, with lots of man/minor 7 chords ect. But a tune that utilizes jazzy chords, without using a ton of substitutions, and modulations, is very pleasing to my ear holes

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
wavo
Mar 27 2014, 07:56 PM
GMC:er

smile.gif

Ha I was like you for years and years. I certainly still hate soft jazz and too much horny jazz (jazz with only horns) drives me up a wall. I like swinging jazz or something like this:

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 27 2014, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Well, this should answer your question :-D

This post has been edited by Guido Bungenstock: Mar 28 2014, 04:14 PM

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 27 2014, 08:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 27 2014, 07:40 PM) *

smile.gif

There's lots of jazz out there. Have you tried listening to more fusion stuff? Probably a cliché reply, but "try and listen to these songs":

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 27 2014, 08:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
lack of bends and constant hitting of wrong notes.

OMG! IM A JAZZ GUITARIST.... HELP!! ohmy.gif

smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 27 2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 27 2014, 08:39 PM) *
OMG! IM A JAZZ GUITARIST.... HELP!! ohmy.gif

smile.gif

Just killed me with this one biggrin.gif Good joke Bleez biggrin.gif

To be honest I rather about to keep respect in distance for playing I don't like. Usually it's about a private taste or just a lack of understanding for particular genre smile.gif Jazz has a lot of different sides. Try to play only wrong notes and believe me...any jazz player will detect a noob biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 27 2014, 09:42 PM
The school I graduated was jazz oriented and guess what, I also (in general) dislike jazz smile.gif

Funny thing is I like complexity on tonal and even atonal music and I'm almost too used to it (it can be a curse sometimes @Darius biggrin.gif) listening or composing. So to be honest, I don't believe its only about having an educated ear to understand or feel it...

If I had to explain myself; I always felt an emotional stillness throughout the music. Its not about groove, harmony etc. which are usually simply explainable. It "moves" thats for sure but while one angle of the universe is almost endless, another is very narrow forcing me to absorb the music in a historically strict perspective.

To keep things unpoetic; I feel like an almost bored to death musician playing on a bar stage when I listen jazz biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 27 2014, 10:19 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 27 2014, 10:42 PM
Maybe start with these(?)
Technically, as far as the chords go, they're more 'jazz' than rock. Definitely aggressive though and what I would call a gateway drug (to jazz).

Ultimately, there's no rule that says you 'have' to like jazz.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 28 2014, 02:51 AM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 27 2014, 11:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
lol. love the responses. cool.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 28 2014, 02:03 AM
Learning Roadie
I can't answer that question without being repugnant. I love, love, jazz. Especially fusion jazz. Honestly from my own personal opinion. It's the only really new sound that isn't a small variation of something else.Just my opinion smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 27 2014, 01:42 PM) *
The school I graduated was jazz oriented and guess what, I also (in general) dislike jazz smile.gif

Funny thing is I like complexity on tonal and even atonal music and I'm almost too used to it (it can be a curse sometimes @Darius biggrin.gif) listening or composing. So to be honest, I don't believe its only about having an educated ear to understand or feel it...

If I had to explain myself; I always felt an emotional stillness throughout the music. Its not about groove, harmony etc. which are usually simply explainable. It "moves" thats for sure but while one angle of the universe is almost endless, another is very narrow forcing me to absorb the music in a historically strict perspective.

To keep things unpoetic; I feel like an almost bored to death musician playing on a bar stage when I listen jazz biggrin.gif

That actually makes tons of sense. I come from an unprofessional classical guitar background which I've probably heard most pieces; but to me fusion jazz is everything you explained in the second paragraph. New and unique. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Mar 28 2014, 02:04 AM
It's perfectly fine to not like jazz... Even "hate" it, if that's the way you want to express it...

But...

Saying you hate jazz is like saying you hate italian food, or comedy movies, or... Even if 99% of them are not to your liking, I'll bet there's something out there you would enjoy and appreciate...

I guess what I'm saying is that there's good jazz, bad jazz, and ok, but not especially memorable jazz...

Just like you could say the same thing about rock, pop, metal, blues, country, rap, etc., etc...

No single song or artist defines a genre, and hopefully you will keep open ears and an open heart, and not try to put a label on something, and just enjoy it for the pleasure of the music and the performance!

Good luck on your journey!

This post has been edited by Hexabuzz: Mar 28 2014, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 28 2014, 09:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ Mar 28 2014, 02:04 AM) *
But...

Saying you hate jazz is like saying you hate italian food, or comedy movies, or... Even if 99% of them are not to your liking, I'll bet there's something out there you would enjoy and appreciate...

Wise words. Give him a beer biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 28 2014, 09:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm picky about the jazz I like but Ted Greene's playing and knowledge etc made me love chord melody.

The harmony is amazing

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Sunny
Mar 28 2014, 09:35 AM
I find jazz a very very wide genre with lots of audio colours, experimenting, and original (talented) musicians. There is plenty you can hate, dislike, like and love in that soup. ^^

"Metal" jazz:

"Electronic" jazz:

For the more "ordinary" stuff, I think these are nice albums:
Diana Krall - "All for You"
Dave Holland - "Prism"
Marilyn Mazur - "Future Song"
Marius Neset - "Golden Xplosion"

--------------------
Alhambra 3C, Ibanez S470, Boss ME-50, KORG MA-30, Marshall MG15CDR, MacBook Pro

Practice Journal

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 28 2014, 09:38 AM
Learning Tone Master

Jazz it not a style for my taste at all. But I have a particular respect for all jazz players. They can understand things from musical theory that I even not try to understand.
When a music not tell me anything I prefer to avoid the style. But are some melodies from jazz that I like very much and time to time I comeback and listen them. This is two of my favorites smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 28 2014, 10:06 AM
Instructor
Jazz fusion is what I imagine going around the head of a serial killer. All that dissonance and weird lift music.

Of course, I'm joking.... but only half joking wink.gif

I can admire a lot of jazz / fusion / progressive for its musicianship but I wouldn't listen for its melody or emotional content, not that I've ever been able to discern any.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 28 2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not really a big shred or metal fan to be honest...but some of the shred and metal I have heard is amazing. I love rock and blues...but I don't love all rock and blues. Jazz...some of it bores me....some of it excites me. I suppose anyone who decides to box everything in life will let the boxes decide what they like and what they don't. Me... I like to look inside all the boxes and see for myself.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Mar 28 2014, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2014, 02:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 27 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Well, this should answer your question :-D
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSEQImJnNw

hahaha this video made my day! I'm a big fan of Spinal Tap, they are hilarious. laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:49 PM