> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Metallica For Beginners, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Victor Simion
Aug 23 2021, 03:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Metallica For Beginners by Gabriel Leopardi

Here is another Rhythm Guitar take from me, this time the lesson is a little bit harder.
I am working a lot on my Rhythm skills, since I have negleted them since the beginning on my guitar playing, because I was focusing too much on lead guitar, solos, and speed exercises.
<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Aug 23 2021, 04:08 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 23 2021, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor!

You already know my thoughts on this take (mentoring thread), so I'm here just to grade.

Keep up the good work!

Gab.-

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 23 2021, 07:34 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2021, 05:37 AM
GMC:er
Some great progress!! I think you have made some very good progress on your rythm technique! It's something that is very easy to let slip since it's easy to get focused on other stuff like scales/speed etc. Bending/Vibrato is also something that sometimes gets neglected.

The bit that concerns me here is the bit that I can't see. I can't see your palm mute? So I can't tell what your muting is doing relative to your picking. ideally, your mute should be firm and actually create a sort of metallic sounding crunch when you strike the strings. Thats the secret sauce imho to getting a really heavy tone. It's not about using more gain, or about down tuning, it's just about palm muting technique.

This song is similar to SEEK AND DESTROY which of course uses similar techniques. I think you are on your way to having much better rythm skills. i'd like to see what your palm mute looks like the next time you make another video like this. So try to shoot it in a way that lets us see your entire picking hand and how it's addressing the bridge if possible?

Good progress here, but still a bit of road left to travel!

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Aug 23 2021, 10:39 AM) *
Original lesson: Metallica For Beginners by Gabriel Leopardi

Here is another Rhythm Guitar take from me, this time the lesson is a little bit harder.
I am working a lot on my Rhythm skills, since I have negleted them since the beginning on my guitar playing, because I was focusing too much on lead guitar, solos, and speed exercises.
<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 25 2021, 07:41 AM
GMC Founder
Cool,

There are some great passages here - for example the intro and some of the open string palm muting.

Overall - my impression here is that you are struggling to play tight at this tempo. Especially around 00:45 where the riffing gets more complex.

I notice your hands look a bit strained. I would advise you to slow down a bit and see if you can relax your upper body a bit more. It is very common to strain the right hand for this kind of demanding downpicking.

If you practice with a strained hand/arm you will find it very hard to increase bpm - so it is crucial to slow down to a point where you are relaxed. Stay at this tempo for a while and then see if the original tempo feels more comfortable.

Your overall technique should be more than enough to master this piece so I think for quick progress you need to start listening to your body signals a bit more.

I also adjusted the difficulty level from 2 to 4 and removed "beginner" in the lesson title.

I am looking forward to following your progress 👊 Keep up the great work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 1 2021, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hey there Victor!

First of all You need to realize that rhythm skills are the basis for lead playing. For rock and metal playing, some riffs hardly differ form solos, when we consider how advanced they are technically - "He Man Woman Hater from Extreme as example). The path you took is most common mistake. Some players believe there is a shortcut and the will play solos sooner if the start straight from playing...solos.

Learning to play rhythm guitar makes you prepare the ground for any way, any path further you would like to choose. If you skip this it will "revenge" some day and will stop you from making even bigger progress. It is very important that you choose to rethink your priorities of practise smile.gif Will definitely help you get better including your solos!

As for the take - first thing is weird tone. It sound like you play on neck pickup. You need to know that some techniques in metal or rock are specially "designed" for articulation response fo bridge pickup and they will not work well enough on other pickups - especially palm muting and pinch harmonics. Bridge position would make your palm muting more crunchy, tighter. No matter how much practise you do, you will not be able to get THAT kind of tone you imagine, if you not use proper position of your pickup selector. That's a simple fix and can immediately boost your performance.

Timing - most often you tend to rush (play in front of the beat). Try to start playing with your foot hitting thge pulse (quarter notes), like a metronome. It often helps when you need to hold the time without a support of metronome or drums (like a middle part here).

Try to imagine that most of your strokes should cover some notes of other instruments in the recording. It's like two players playing different parts but some of their notes are perfectly in sync, because the cover the same rhythm values.

You play "resonably" being carefull so the is some very little "bite" missing in it, but that's what defines pro players.

From good things I can point out your descent control over unwanted strings/noises and your hand shaping. I see nothing critical heree to fix. I guess it will become more relaxed once you'll start to feel more comfortable with slightly more difficult stuff. Well done!

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 24 2021, 12:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:49 AM