> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 13 2014, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! Welcome to our thread for Gab's Army! smile.gif

At first, I will share here a routine that I recommend to work during the next 3 weeks in order to master the things that I noted you have to improve based on Metallica's lesson take.

Besides this exercises, please keep on working on the musical lessons that you bookmarked. These ones are long term lessons to polish your technique:

- Warming up
http://youtu.be/1XsLRQFV7rY

- Alternate Picking
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/

- Bending
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...String-Bending/

- Vibrato
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/
http://youtu.be/Hh_pYY6UYIw

- Legato
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
yoncopin
Jan 5 2015, 03:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hope you had a good vacation, and I just wanted to post a quick update on what I've been working on. I posted a few REC takes while you were gone:

Beginner String Bending
Kyuss Style

I've been working on Ben's Vibrato and Legato lessons as well and Hendrix Meets Sayce too. Besides that I'm continuing to try to work to memorize the Major scale and the notes of the fretboard.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 5 2015, 10:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Yoncopin! I had a great time! Thanks for asking and also thanks for your update!

Congrats on passing the bending lesson. You did a great job with that one since all the bends reach the correct pitches. and there are some details to improve as timing and vibrato as the guys commented there. I think that it's time to work on a more advanced lesson that applies these technique on phrasing situations.

The kyuss lesson is also sounding really good and I think that Ben has commented there the details you need to have in mind in order to take it to a new level. Your timing is good on this one and you have a very enjoyable tone. Try to make those phrases starting at 00:37 (to 00:45) sound smoother (compare your playing with the original lesson), take that comment about bending down and keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 8 2015, 03:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've started spending some time some on the Alternating Picking Workout 2 and have run into a question. I've been playing off and on for almost 18 years now and I use a combination of mostly economy picking with some alternating picking depending on the situation. The muscle memory is pretty programmed in at this point, and if I try to adhere to strictly alternate picking my speed goes down a lot.

I don't think my pick speed is my biggest limiter right now but really want to improve my playing. Is it the best use of my time to "go back to square one" on picking vs some other aspect of my playing? Thanks for any advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2015, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Hi mate. There is not a right answer for this question, this depends on you. There are guitarist that play both ways, while some others just use alternate picking or economy picking. Each option has it advantages but what's more important a different feel and sound. Alternate Picking is a bit more difficult for crossing strings because you have 2 different possibilities (outside and inside) and it's not the most natural way to cross strings. You get a more aggressive and accentuated sound with AP. Economy picking is naturally easier and the sound that you get is smoother and lighter.

Paul Gilbert is a good example of Alternate Picking while Frank Gambale is an example of using strictly economy picking for everything.

What's best? In my opinion it's always better to be able to play the same lick with different techniques in order to have more colors, more tool to give different feeling to your phrasing. However Gambale is a good example of the opposite. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 8 2015, 04:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I agree I'd like to develop my alternate picking so I have more options. Thanks for the videos, I enjoyed them.

I guess my question is more, what's the best way forward right now? I have limited time due to work and family and the exercises I'm working on now are primarily technical (legato, vibrato, picking, etc...) I kinda feel like I'm bouncing randomly through lessons with no real goal as I've done for too many years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2015, 03:23 PM
Instructor
Hi mate. Our short term goal is to polish the techniques that you are currently working on. I mean vibrato, bending, legato and picking. Each of these techniques is equally important. You shouldn't be practicing randomly, you should be working on the routine shared previously and divide your diary time to cover those topics.

Let's say that you have around 2 hours of practice each day. You can divide your work like this:

- Warming up (5 minutes)

- Alternate Picking (30 minutes)

- Bending (30 minutes)

- Vibrato (30 minutes)

- Legato (30 minutes)

In order to make your practice more focused, the best would be to take the lessons that I suggested and work on 1 or 2 parts each day of the week. You can write down the routine for each day, for example, Monday: part 1 of Warming up, part 1 and 2 of alternate picking lesson, part 1 of bending, and the same for the other days.

As we are working on Alternate Picking, not economy as a part of this routine, you could dedicate the 30 minutes to the new way of crossing strings. (AP technique).

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 9 2015, 03:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, ok that sounds good. I'm sorry for not understanding. What I've realized after so many years of aimlessness is that focused practice is what I need to break the plateau I've been stuck on for way too long. Learning how to practice properly is what I need to make real progress. Thanks so much for clarifying!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor
Great! Use a notepad where you write down the routine, and weekly goals. You can focus a bit more on one technique over the others each week of the months and take some conclusions after the first month of practice. Practice is also trial an error, there are some things that will work better than others for you and this can be noted with experience. But as you said, focus is very important.

Please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 28 2015, 10:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gab,
I have been practicing hard on the legato and vibrato lessons and making good progress, but I have a question about Ben's Vibrato Odyssey 5 There are two parts B:5-7-9-10 (repeated at different tempos) and E:10-12-13-15 I want to practice with a metronome to bring my vibrato up to speed. I think the 'vibration beats' are as follows, can you confirm? Thanks.

85bpm

B:5-7-9-10
1) 1/4 notes
2) 1/8 notes
3) 1/16 notes
4) 1/32 notes

E:10-12-13-15
10=1/8
12=1/8
13=1/16
15=1/32

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2015, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, it's an excellent plan to work on this over metronome. I checked the rhythm used for each vibrato part and I think that this is the correct description:

B:5-7-9-10
1) 1/4 notes
2) 1/8 notes
3) 1/8 notes (triplets)
4) 1/16 notes

E:10-12-13-15
10=1/8
12=1/8
13=1/8 (triplets)
15=1/16

Please record yourself practicing this and share it here. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 30 2015, 02:59 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, well you asked for it... I feel kinda embarrassed sharing this because it's just so awful. In the video is first a take of the vibrato lesson with the backing track followed by the legato lesson to a metronome at 90 bpm (I can't even come close to full speed yet). I have mistakes all over the place in both of the takes.

Vibrato lesson: I clearly have pitch problems, but I'm struggling most with tempo. I need to keep working on my endurance for the 16th notes and I lose all sense of the beat when I try the triplets.

Legato lesson: I'm having a lot more success with this one. I have lots of mistakes and excess string noise, but I can hammer-on/pull-off all of the notes pretty strong. I'm making progress on the transitions at slower speeds and feel confident I'll get this one if I just put the time in. I've made tremendous progress since starting, I couldn't even get all the notes to sound at first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2015, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for this video! It's a big help for me to give you feedback and for you to note the issues and notice the future improvements.
Let's go with some comments:

Vibrato lesson: As you said, one of the biggest issues on this on is the pitch. It seems that the higher you go in the neck, the more notorious is the problem. Maybe you are basing the technique on "strength" instead of "hearing". The strength that you have to do when do the vibrating bends is different depending on the fret that you are playing so you have to be sure to listen to the pitches while you do the vibrato. The second issue, which is a bit less notorious is timing, mostly for the faster vibratos. You are close, but you are still slower, focus on it while you practice, and use the slower backings if it's necessary to be sure of the rhythm. At 00:58, both issues are combined and the result is an irregular out of pitch vibrato/bend. I notice that you don't get back to the note's pitch, you keep the string bent. It's the trickier part so pay special attention to it.

Legato: Once again I agree with you, the things to improve on this one are avoiding the unwanted noises and adjust a bit more timing. As there are parts that sound tight, and others that sound clean, I think that this is not a problem that you can't solve soon, it's just a matter of practice. You already know and can apply the techniques, just take your time to polish the lesson, it's going on the right track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Feb 7 2015, 03:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gab, I'm planning to make another progress video shortly (hopefully this weekend). I've continued improving on both the legato and vibrato quite a bit. In the meantime, I was hoping you could recommend another lesson on right hand speed/timing/rhythm. My left hand has been getting a LOT of work lately with the big stretches and vibrato strength and is getting pretty fatigued. I was hoping for something I could continue to work on primarily with my right hand that was easy to fret with the left. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2015, 04:01 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. What about one of these?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-rock-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r-rock-lesson2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Queens...he-Stone-Metal/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Feb 7 2015, 04:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Those look great thanks! A bit more fun in terms of musicality too. Would the Queens one work in Drop D? I don't have a guitar I want to tune to Drop C without the setup being off and floppy loose strings.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 7 2015, 10:01 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Feb 8 2015, 08:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, here is an updated practice video after another week of progress. Things are definitely improving, it's cool to watch the last video and be able to see it after just a week of work. It definitely helps you see that you are slowly getting better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2015, 10:51 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for this new video.

The main problem on the vibrato lesson the pitch of your vibrato. You are bending too much most of the time and that makes your notes sound out of tune over the backing. Your timing is ok but if you pay attention to Ben's original take, he is bending the strings to notes that are part of the scale that he is playing, and this makes his vibrato sound on key. You need to use a lot your ear at this stage and play along with the original lesson to be sure that you are reaching the right pitches for each bend. As the strength and tension will be different for each fret, I recommend you to work slowly on 1 fret each time. This means that you listen to ben's first vibrato, then you try to replicate it, again listen, again replicate it, until you feel that you are reaching the same notes. This process should be applied to each note.

The legato lesson has improved! I notice that you avoided unwanted noises on this one which was one of the last tasks I gave and now this one just needs more practice to polish the sound of some sections and to keep timing tight along the whole lesson. It needs more work but you are on the right track! Well done.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Feb 14 2015, 09:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks so much for the feedback Gab!

Here's an update video after another week of practice. The vibrato is still giving me difficulty with pitch and tempo, but I think it's improving... some. The legato is going much better and this take was getting pretty close. I'm up to full speed now but need to work on my pinky more. It tends to fatigue by the end of the piece and I lose the timing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 15 2015, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, congrats on your good job. I note that both are improving compared with the previous entry. The vibrato lesson is still the one that has more important problems and they are still related to the pitch of your bending. I'm not sure how you practiced this but it would be important to re-check the pitch of end bend comparing and playing over the original lesson. That's the only way by now that I think will help you to fix the pitches issues. However, I'd like to ask you, can you hear the pitch issues when you replay your take?

The legato evolves good, there are not unwanted noises now, there are just some notes sounding weak, and what's the main thing to focus now, I notices timing issues here and there. You tend to play the hammer ons and pull of a bit faster than you should and it makes the patters sound sometimes before the beat.

You are going forward, so keep on the hard work. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:08 PM