> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
yoncopin
Aug 30 2017, 09:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, here's my analysis of Velvet Revolver's Slither:

- What's the relationship between the main riff and the verse?
Same riff but muted (except for last two note unmuted accent), some single note riff overdubs.

- What's the relationship between the main riff and the pre-chorus?
They are the same riff, pre-chorus 2 bars

- What's the relationship between the main riff and the chorus?
Chorus is D,C,G,D backing chords with single note main riff overdub. The first/last chord of chorus is D which is the starting note of the main riff, D. The chords are each held for 2 bars. Snare drum hits every 4 beats, instead of every 1, a much slower groove. Total chorus length, 8 bars.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2017, 02:27 PM
Instructor
Nice! I assume that you are starting to have the map of the song in your mind much clearer. Have you checked analized this in other songs?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 31 2017, 02:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
No, that was the first song I analyzed, but yes I am getting the feel for the song structure. I think I'm overthinking it all to some degree. Should I keep analyzing songs, or is there another next step?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2017, 05:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 31 2017, 10:29 AM) *
No, that was the first song I analyzed, but yes I am getting the feel for the song structure. I think I'm overthinking it all to some degree. Should I keep analyzing songs, or is there another next step?

I've been doing this for 15 years, and I'm still going... does it answer your question? biggrin.gif

Let's analize 2 more at least before moving on...

mm did I say 15? I think that 20...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Sep 18 2017, 02:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, admission time.... it's now been two weeks since our last exchange. Granted, I have been busy (true but still an excuse). I asked for your help and you gave it, and I am very grateful, but if I'm being honest I've come to realize something about myself. I don't think I actually want to write songs bad enough to put in the real work to get better at it. I've been avoiding this assignment now long enough. I think I'm ok with just improving my playing rather than my writing. I've come to realize that they are completely separate activities, while for the longest time I thought you needed to write to progress on the guitar. I think I'm going to return to learning some lessons, it's really what I enjoy and I find motivation to do that comes easy. Sorry if I disappoint...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 18 2017, 04:49 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I agree that it seems that this are like two separate worlds, but at the same time, I also think that everything is related so no matter if you dedicate time to practice, improvise or compose, you are building your own voice as a musician. Every person is different and that's why we have so many voices, and so many differeng music styles. Maybe you don't enjoy songwriting, but you like improvisation, maybe you preffer re-arranging songs and play them with your style, who knows... everything is valid and welcome.

What I know from my experience is that composition can be trained and it can take a lot of hard work to compose stuff that we are proud of... but it's nothing different to guitar playing which also requires a lot of practice.

The secret is to enjoy the journey, so I think that being honest with yourself is the key to move forward.

I'm here ready to help with the next steps of your gutar journey.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 8 2017, 02:40 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gabe,
I started trying to transcribe that Richie Faulkner solo (video below). I got the first few bars pretty quick, but when he starts doing the unison bends on 14 I started to think he may have his guitar tuned down? The opening E chord seems different sounding than when I play it too, but he's using the whammy bar to rise into it so I'm not sure. I was wondering if you could tell?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2017, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yes, he is using flat tuning, everything is "b". Is that what you are asking?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 8 2017, 04:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So Eb standard tuning?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 8 2017, 11:02 AM) *
Hi mate, yes, he is using flat tuning, everything is "b". Is that what you are asking?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2017, 04:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 8 2017, 12:03 PM) *
So Eb standard tuning?

Yes, I've been playing along with the solo. There are many great licks there!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 9 2017, 02:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks! That helped a lot smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2017, 06:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 9 2017, 10:25 AM) *
Thanks! That helped a lot smile.gif

Keep me updated, and let me know if any lick becomes impossible to recognize.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 10 2017, 02:27 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here's the opening and the first phrases. I obviously can't play it well at all, but I think the notes are right? I unblocked my Ibanez trem to learn this one, I have never used one so I have a lot to learn. I think I'm playing the right notes, but it almost doesn't even sound like the same song, maybe just because I can't really play it.

Edit: I'm going to leave this video here, but I got this audio into my DAW and realized some notes were wrong. Plus, I got the tempo aligned (135bpm) and am already playing better than in the video. My comment about it not sounding like the same song is improving.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Nov 10 2017, 02:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2017, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to see you playing this!

Yeah, I note that there are things that are different, but it's getting there. The main difference is related to rhythm of some phrases, so I think that it would be better to practice over metronome, or maybe create a backing track, in different tempos. You could also play along with the youtube audio and slow it down (there is an option at youtube).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 13 2018, 02:14 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabe! I just finished reading your take on my hard rock REC, as well as the other instructor's comments. I kinda find myself following a repeating cycle when I work a lesson for a long time. After weeks of practicing, I start to really grasp things and feel like I've "got it" I submit my video and after reading everyone's comments, immediately see the flaws and am a bit disappointed with my performance, then those flaws are all I can see.

On this one, the tone is clearly wrong. I did a quick dry take and reamped it and found a much better tone in minutes. I guess I got excited and recorded my "in the room" tone, which isn't always the right recorded tone, I've found they're often different.

I definitely slipped a bend and missed a note at the end, I knew that, but now I see the uneven vibrato and nervousness too. I think that comes from being right on the edge at the highest tempo, but it's a bit more discouraging. I've been working my bending and vibrato since we started together years ago. I think it's improving, but is it? It seems like always the same issues. Am I just trying harder music or is there something missing? Do you see the progress? Any tips on the post REC blues? Maybe I should write a song about it smile.gif Thanks.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 13 2018, 02:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2018, 03:24 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good post!

The answer to your question is YES, I note progress.

I understand what you mean about not hearing the things to fix at first and then hearing only the problems. That's normal and it's part of the learning process, and it means that your ear is being trained.

There is an element which is very important here and it's "focus" as a synonymous of "Where you put your attention". Focus is amazing related to the things that we hear. It happens all the time, we can think that something sound good until someone says, isn't this too bassy? and then, we start to hear it extremely bassy. However, we learn from each experience, and we start to contemplate more things everytime we listen to something, and this can also happen when we listen what we are playing at the moment.

I don't think that you aren't able to play with better vibrato, or that you can't hit the right pitch with your bending. I think that you were focusing on other elements from the lesson and that's why they are not precise.

The key here is to dedicate some time this week focusing on this elements, and you'll not only be training your technique, you'll also be training your ear and this will happen less and less in the future.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 14 2018, 08:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, thank you for your thoughtful answer. I'll keep working on it. Your take on focus feels spot on. It's always a careful balance between speed, tension, tempo, vibrato and that's a lot to juggle when you're recording something challenging. I'm glad to hear you note progress, I do too, but it's good to hear someone else say it from time to time. You're also right about training yourself to notice those small details. I notice a LOT more details when I listen to other people's videos or any of my older ones. I suppose all of that means I'm on the right track and need to keep at it like always. Thanks for the encouragement Gabe!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2018, 09:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 14 2018, 04:27 PM) *
I suppose all of that means I'm on the right track and need to keep at it like always. Thanks for the encouragement Gabe!

YES, you are!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 5 2019, 01:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gabe! It's been a while since I posted in our mentor thread... but I could use some mentoring smile.gif I've been feeling kinda discouraged with my playing lately and I was hoping you could help me make a plan to find my way back.

My favorite thing to do is jam to a backing track, my goal is to take that as far as I can and to be as expressive as I can with chords and soloing. I suppose that has a lot in common with songwriting, and I would love to write and record my own songs. I'm guessing my reason for avoiding songwriting is I still feel like my technique and musical creativity/expression still can't realize the songs I have in my head. I don't want to spend a lot of time on something and have it fall short, even if I'm the only person who'll ever listen to it. I also feel like I just don't have a whole lot to say musically, my "vocabulary" is just a small bag of licks. How can I say anything with only a few words and phrases?

I've also been really frustrated with my speed. It feels like an unattainable goal to shred like you guys can. I don't know what I'm doing or not doing that makes it seem so unreachable. I was trying to learn Phil Collen Intermediate and the lick at 0:35 just feels impossible and the rest is relatively easy. I've been practicing it for ages and it just seems like time wasted because I'm nowhere near the speed I'd have to reach to play it. Learning songs that have any hint of speed seem off limits to me. At the same time, the styles I want to play don't use a lot of shred speed so I'm not sure if I'm focusing on the wrong thing.

Anyway, that was just a brain dump. I was hoping you could make some sense of it and help me get a plan sorted. My goals are pretty vague right now. Below are a few artists I'd love to sound like. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2019, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Your ideas and goals are very clear. This is what I would do:

- Improvisation Practice: I would dedicate a good amount of my practice time to improvise over different backing tracks. Getting into blues, following the chords, triads and modes use as well as other concepts. Kris Dahl's Jam School lessons and his live streams should give lots of ideas.

- Technique: Being able to play some fast passages is always nice but you don't need to be Jason Becker to play in the style of the vids that you've shared. Being able to master Paul Gilbert & Zakk wylde style exercises should be your one of your diary goals but not everything. Youi don't need lots of exercise, you like these ones, an all the variations that you can create by yourself:

Attached Image

- Composition: Dedicate some improvisation time to jam over drum loops can be a good first step to compose rhythms, riffs and chord progressions that can become songs then.

You can use this thread to share your progress to stay motitaved! What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:59 PM