> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
yoncopin
Feb 15 2015, 02:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, I can hear the pitch issues in the video. It's still difficult to hear and make my fingers do when I'm actually playing though. I've practiced with the original lesson, with the backing track, a metronome and unplugged around the house. After reading your response it reminded me of what I did for the string bending lesson, record a drone note and bend/vibrato to it. It's less cluttered for my ear and I can sit on one note as long as I need to work on the muscle memory. Are all the vibrato lesson pitches essentially repeated half step bends?

I've been making these last few videos to sort of document my progress as a video diary like you mentioned. I know they aren't perfect but wanted to share how hard I've been working on these lessons. These two pieces are the only things I've been playing for the last few weeks and I've been spending a ton of time trying to perfect them. Maybe it would be better to post less?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2015, 06:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Feb 15 2015, 10:31 AM) *
Yes, I can hear the pitch issues in the video. It's still difficult to hear and make my fingers do when I'm actually playing though. I've practiced with the original lesson, with the backing track, a metronome and unplugged around the house. After reading your response it reminded me of what I did for the string bending lesson, record a drone note and bend/vibrato to it. It's less cluttered for my ear and I can sit on one note as long as I need to work on the muscle memory. Are all the vibrato lesson pitches essentially repeated half step bends?

This idea sounds promising. The problem is related to tempo, you need more time to be able to think on all the things that you need to think so that's why your idea or working everything at a very slow tempo is the key to progress. Vibrato is not always half step, sometimes when it's fast, it can be less than that but your ear must be trained enough to be sure that you are not making it sound out of scale. Listen to guitar solos, or instrumental guitar songs and pay attention to vibrato, try to notice how much they are bending the strings up and down. Listening and analyzing is part of the learning process.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Feb 15 2015, 10:31 AM) *
I've been making these last few videos to sort of document my progress as a video diary like you mentioned. I know they aren't perfect but wanted to share how hard I've been working on these lessons. These two pieces are the only things I've been playing for the last few weeks and I've been spending a ton of time trying to perfect them. Maybe it would be better to post less?

It's the best thing you can do, record, listen, share here the more you can. It's an excellent diary of progress and let's me monitor your practice. Sometimes I'll repeat the same things many times, but don't worry, it's just to keep you focus on the right things.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 9 2015, 05:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I posted a Rec Take of Ben's Land of Legato today. Thanks so much for your guidance! We'll see what you all think but I wanted to place the video here for the purposes of recording the progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 9 2015, 06:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I also have a question about your Stoner Rock Lesson In part 3, there's a bend which the tab and Guitar Pro files say is a bend on fret 5, but on the videos it looks like you're bending 7. 7 sounds right to my ear, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2015, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to find this video from you! This lesson is evolving really good since the sound of your legato is loud and clear. This is a very important step on this technique.

Your take is good but there is still room to polish details that will take your playing to a new level of perfection. I notice that there are some moments when your timing is not completely tight, sometimes the legato pattern seems to be "hurried" while others you go a bit before the beat. This is not anything very dramatic but it should be worked to make your playing sound more regular and consistent.

I also note that there are some position changes that are giving problems (for example at 00:23), so isolate those two positions and work on the change looped over a metronome. It's tricky to make this kind of "jumps" smooth so dedicate some time to visualize the change and to get used to it.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 9 2015, 02:23 PM) *
I also have a question about your Stoner Rock Lesson In part 3, there's a bend which the tab and Guitar Pro files say is a bend on fret 5, but on the videos it looks like you're bending 7. 7 sounds right to my ear, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

You're totally right! I'll fix it, thanks for notifying! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 15 2015, 02:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I posted this to REC, but kinda wish now there was a delete button. The more I listen to it, the more issues I am seeing and realize now that this wasn't ready for REC. I bend sharp at 0:11 but pretty much all of the B string bends are ?sharp? Tempo is close but not quite. Dunno, it just needs more practice I think, got too excited and should have just posted it here. It is much better than my previous attempts and shows improvement, but still needs work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2015, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this lesson obviously needs more work but that doesn't mean that it's not for REC. That program has been created to receive feedback from many instructors at once, and that's a big advantage because you have different perspectives and comments about the things that you could change or work to improve your playing, so never regret sharing a REC take! wink.gif

Your take is not bad, but I notice that the main problem appears when you have to play the faster vibrato. There your technique is not consistent, you lose the groove and you miss some of the pitches. I think that your left hand movement looks good so the only thing that this needs is practice. Playing along with the original lesson can really help to improve the things that are giving problems.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 21 2015, 04:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This lesson has been a lot more fun to play and jam with than some of the other more exercise type lessons I've been working. A welcome change to feel like I was actually rocking out with a band. It has a really fun riff to loop and improvise solos to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2015, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! It's cool to know that you are enjoying this one! There are some other stoner lessons in my archive and some new coming. smile.gif

Your take on this one is good, you can play the riff section very good, and excepting some little timing issues when you play the trills, I can say that it's close to be perfect. The solo section is also ok but could be polished a bit. There are some moments in which your timing is not totally tight and some unwanted noises here and there. I think that you are very close but your fingers still need to feel more familiar with those licks (mostly around 00:53).

About your vibrato and bending, it sill can be polished but your technique is really improving. You are on the right track with this.

So keep on the good job.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 30 2015, 10:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gab! I posted two REC takes over on the other forum, but am also putting them here to log my progress.

Stoner Rock Lesson

Hendrix Meets Sayce

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I commented and graded these ones at REC.

Stoner rock:
"Hi friend!

I have played 3 times this one to be sure that I wasn't missing anything and I have to say that except a little timing detail on the the first trills and some adjustment that you could give to the licks around 00:52, your take is VERY good. YOu can play the whole thing tight and comfortable over the backing.

Keep on rocking soldier!"

Hendrix meets Sayce
"Hi again mate!

I also think that you are doing a great job with this lesson. Your playing is consistent on this one as it happens with the Stoner Lesson. I think that there are two things that could be improved on this take:

- Vibrato: Working on a wider and more consistent vibrato (for example the one at 00:32)

- Tone: I feel that a tone with more presence and definition could make this one sound better.

Other than that you're on the right track. Keep on the good job!"

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 1 2015, 03:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks! Those got some good grades, probably some of my best yet. I'm still working the vibrato lesson, it and the alternate picking #1 are going to take some time I think. Building that strength and speed is just going to take time, but I've got a good start on both. I'm going to start on your 2nd stoner rock lesson too.

I also found a new website playthisriff.com last night which has video lessons directly from some of the artists I mentioned in your other thread (High on Fire, 3 Inches of Blood, Dead Meadow) It's pretty cool to hear the artists themselves describe their playing. I'd like to learn/record some of my favorite covers at some point so might check out a song to work on too and post it here. A downside is a lot of those bands use dropped tunings which I don't feel like dealing with, maybe I can just transpose them somehow?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 1 2015, 04:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
After thinking about it, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of 12-60 gauge strings to set up one of my (too many) guitars for drop C. I don't know why I was resisting it. Hopefully that will be good enough for a 24.75" scale length. I'll either use my Schecter C1 or an Epiphone Les Paul. Should be fun!

For recording a cover song video, how do guitarists go about creating a backing track for an actual song? I could manually program drums, bass etc... but one song would take forever to produce. I was also thinking about using Riffstation to try to filter out the guitar parts on the actual recording. Any ideas/opinions?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2015, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great stuff!

It's a very good decision to set on of your guitars with C tuning if most of the bands that you heard use that tuning. Regarding backing tracks, all those options are possible. If you decide to produce your own backings, it will take more time but the learning/practice process will be richer since you'll be also learning and analyzing what other instruments are doing. Using software to filter guitar or searching for backings on youtube is also ok so I think that you have to do what you prefer.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 10 2015, 08:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Gab, I made a recording of your Stoner Rock 2 lesson. I think it's pretty close, what do you think?

I used a new technique for recording this time. Based on the tone comments from the Hendrix video, I wanted to be able to re-amp my recordings using my Pod HD500X. I was able to figure out how to route a dry track from the DAW back into the Pod and re-record my track with any tone I want. That should let me focus on just the take and then dial in the best tone afterwards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 11 2015, 09:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I was able to learn the Queens of the Stone Age lesson in about a day and get (what I think) is an almost identical recording. I posted it on the Rec forum with some details about the new re-amp technique I'm using to match tones.

Queens of the Stone Metal

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 12 2015, 06:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 10 2015, 04:55 PM) *
Hi Gab, I made a recording of your Stoner Rock 2 lesson. I think it's pretty close, what do you think?

I used a new technique for recording this time. Based on the tone comments from the Hendrix video, I wanted to be able to re-amp my recordings using my Pod HD500X. I was able to figure out how to route a dry track from the DAW back into the Pod and re-record my track with any tone I want. That should let me focus on just the take and then dial in the best tone afterwards.

Fantastic work mate! The tone of this one is perfect for this tune and style, it sounds very stoner. It has that fuzzy feeling but it doesn't lack definition. Your playing is also very tight on this one. Just the last solo vibrato could be a bit more consistent (check kyuss and quees of the stone age "wide/fast vibrato") but it's just a details. You did a great job.

It's always really helpful to be able to reamp or adjust amp setting when you are doing the final mix so this new method is very clever.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 11 2015, 05:25 PM) *
I was able to learn the Queens of the Stone Age lesson in about a day and get (what I think) is an almost identical recording. I posted it on the Rec forum with some details about the new re-amp technique I'm using to match tones.

Queens of the Stone Metal

Once again the tone is KILLER!! Great job mate! And I also agree that your playing is perfect on this one. Nothing to fix, it's a 10 at REC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 21 2015, 09:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, here's my latest take on Stoner Rock 2. I posted it to REC and tried to give the vibrato a wider/faster feel after your comments.

I'm still working on the vibrato and alternate picking. The vibrato is much better but the tempo of the 16th notes is still challenging on the lower frets. Any trick to improving on 5 & 7? I find that I have a lot more leverage on the higher frets. I'm up to about 120bpm on the alternate picking, that lesson is really going to take a long time to master.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 22 2015, 01:00 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great job with the Stoner lesson! You can play the whole thing really good, I like the vibrato added on lower strings during the firs riff, it goes great with the tune's groove. Just be careful with the connection at 00:38, and the timing of your only down strokes riffs, starts exactly at 00:39. Other than that, the take is killer!

" Any trick to improving on 5 & 7? "

I don't understand what you mean with this question... blink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 22 2015, 01:06 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks! Sorry that question wasn't very clear. On Ben's Vibrato Odyssey I have difficulty with the 16th note vibrato on frets 5 & 7 on the G string, but I find it gets easier the higher up the neck I go. I can play the 16th note vibrato pretty well on the 10th fret because I can get more leverage with my hand there. Is there anything I should focus on to improve my faster vibrato on the lower frets?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 21 2015, 08:00 PM) *
Hi mate! Great job with the Stoner lesson! You can play the whole thing really good, I like the vibrato added on lower strings during the firs riff, it goes great with the tune's groove. Just be careful with the connection at 00:38, and the timing of your only down strokes riffs, starts exactly at 00:39. Other than that, the take is killer!

" Any trick to improving on 5 & 7? "

I don't understand what you mean with this question... blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 PM