How Do You Practice Guitar?
Martin la guitar...
Feb 15 2009, 08:35 PM
GMC:er
How do you practice guitar? Thats my question. The reason why im asking you this is because i feel confused on how i practice guitar.

The last couple of months I've been practicing the guitar with a machine called TV. I've spent numeros of hours, practicing guitar while watching some of my favorite shows.

Is this good or bad, practicing guitar while watching TV?

I only practice guitar while watching TV when i need to nail a song. I usually split the song into different parts, etc I can practice a intro for 30 min while watching TV. And this works well, I feel focused and i usually play the same sequence for a long period of time.
Im pretty certain i would never manage to play the same sequence over and over again for 30 min without TV. I would lose interests.

How do you practice guitar? The reason why i practice the guitar while watching TV is to nail a song perfectly. To play a song with 100% control. This surely doesnt mean that i will never miss a note. I mean that if i have 100% control with a song, and i make a mistake, i have the control to continue the song without any problems.

I can see some benefits with practicing the guitar while watching TV, for etc - i can stay motivated to practice a intro for 1 hour which I normally wouldn't (if i didnt have the TV). I feel more focused on the things im playing when i watch TV, because I get more into the practice mood and not "play whatever you feel like" type of mood.

But, there are some disadvantage as well, although i can hardly mention some. The main disadvantage i feel is that i feel so fed up with the technology when practicing guitar while watching TV, like my whole career as musician has only been a giant bag of TV episodes.

I hope you understand, sorry for my english.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Martin la guitarra: Feb 15 2009, 08:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 15 2009, 08:45 PM
Instructor
Good question...

I use to practice with TV some technique and warm up exercises. Something thats not musical or doesn't require me to put my mind into it.
When I am working on songs, lessons, nailing specific parts, I definitely do it with complete silence. I want my metronome there, sheet music, guitar and play it many times , try to put sound in my head onto guitar - every little detail from slide to bends,harmonics, hammer on pull of things like that.

I would recommend if you can get yourself to focus without TV - it would be even more productive in my opinion.
If not, good thing is , you are still practicing one way or the other ! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 15 2009, 08:48 PM
I've tried practicing while watching tv, but it doens't work for me. I either end up forgetting about the guitar or the tv, I want to focus on something. Mostly I forget about what I'm watching in tv so then I might aswell just practice without the tv.

I usually practice in front of the computer, both so I can acces backing tracks, gmc lessons, tabs, etc, but that's not always good if people keep writing on msn or something laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Feb 15 2009, 08:52 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I use the TV when I am training on my stationary bike. While I can ride it for 40-60 minutes without TV, I can spend twice as much time watching something in the TV. But never really tried doing it with guitar. Still it should work, as long as You just "hammering" same notes/parts to Your brain/muscle memory. So it can be done in addition to normal practice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 15 2009, 08:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Feb 15 2009, 08:52 PM) *
I use the TV when I am training on my stationary bike. While I can ride it for 40-60 minutes without TV, I can spend twice as much time watching something in the TV. But never really tried doing it with guitar. Still it should work, as long as You just "hammering" same notes/parts to Your brain/muscle memory. So it can be done in addition to normal practice.

+1 on Bike thing smile.gif

I watch football games , movie or sitcoms when riding bike biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 15 2009, 09:08 PM
But isn't it easy to lose interest if you dont have the tv on while practicing guitar?

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 15 2009, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Feb 15 2009, 09:08 PM) *
But isn't it easy to lose interest if you dont have the tv on while practicing guitar?

Guitar takes loads of practice and thus time too! 99% of it can be boring. Especially when doing exercises on isolated stuff. But it's much better to do it while you concentrate, it's much more effective and you'll notice progress in less time. Even though boring exercises might seemingly not need any "brain-work", this is, IMO, not true. Paying careful attention to what you do will result in better playing!

To keep yourself motivated I think you should brake up your practicing into small sessions. Like 30 minutes or 20! Do a little warm up riffing at the beginning of each and concentrate on only 1 or 2 things. Maybe a song, or an exercise or a GMC lesson. Then put the guitar down, have a rest, watch TV, play games and then return! If you do this like 2-4 times every day, it will take you much further than doing a 2 hour session while watching your favorite movie and constantly making the same errors or practicing with wrong technique you don't even notice.

hope this helped smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 15 2009, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Feb 15 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Guitar takes loads of practice and thus time too! 99% of it can be boring. Especially when doing exercises on isolated stuff. But it's much better to do it while you concentrate, it's much more effective and you'll notice progress in less time. Even though boring exercises might seemingly not need any "brain-work", this is, IMO, not true. Paying careful attention to what you do will result in better playing!

To keep yourself motivated I think you should brake up your practicing into small sessions. Like 30 minutes or 20! Do a little warm up riffing at the beginning of each and concentrate on only 1 or 2 things. Maybe a song, or an exercise or a GMC lesson. Then put the guitar down, have a rest, watch TV, play games and then return! If you do this like 2-4 times every day, it will take you much further than doing a 2 hour session while watching your favorite movie and constantly making the same errors or practicing with wrong technique you don't even notice.

hope this helped smile.gif

Ye, that made sense, thanks

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 15 2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor
The more you think while practice the more good results you'll get imo.
As Berko said, even some most boring exercises need you to think about them,
otherwise you might miss many critical point and eventually
end up with kind a sloppy playing. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 15 2009, 10:18 PM
My guitar teacher told me not to do this. When you focus on something else while practicing how do you know that you are doing it right? Getting rid of a bad habit can easily cost you more time then what you gained by practicing in front of a TV. But I don't watch television anyway. But I practice during my breaks at work with an epiphone sg. I think that helped me a lot. It's not really about the 30 mins of practice that I gain that way but about practicing in the in morning, over lunch, in the afternoon and of course all night long.

- Jonas

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: May 11 2009, 12:57 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Feb 15 2009, 10:28 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 15 2009, 08:48 PM) *
I've tried practicing while watching tv, but it doens't work for me. I either end up forgetting about the guitar or the tv, I want to focus on something. Mostly I forget about what I'm watching in tv so then I might aswell just practice without the tv.

I usually practice in front of the computer, both so I can acces backing tracks, gmc lessons, tabs, etc, but that's not always good if people keep writing on msn or something laugh.gif

I always practice in front of the computer... learning something from gmc or youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Feb 15 2009, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 10:28 PM) *
I always practice in front of the computer... learning something from gmc or youtube

same here, it gives fast acces to everything smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 15 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:28 PM) *

me too smile.gif Computer is great

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2009, 02:02 AM
Instructor
I like practicing with TV, but only something that doesn't require a lot of attention, like so simple boring exercises (vibrato). I think practicing everything with TV is not a good idea cause you must really focus on a lot of things while practicing, and with TV it's really hard to do that.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sigma7
Feb 16 2009, 02:11 AM
sometimes I practice outside or in a garage, depending how nice it is outside, other than that, mostly in concentration in my room or in front of the computer

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 16 2009, 02:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, always in front of computer, i set the loops on the GMC backing tracks and just try to improvise over the top of them, I was playing over one of Davids Lessons for like 30 minutes last night biggrin.gif

I think people should place less emphasis on learning other peoples stuff and try and create their own, by all means steal their ideas of course wink.gif but try and develop your own style.

Just my humble opinion, i'm off tp plagarise some more GMC lessons!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2009, 02:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Unfortunately I don't practice guitar anymore. I had some good hours during fall and late summer, where I practiced more concentrated. These days all I get of practicing is trying to record for collabs.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 16 2009, 02:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have just one great tip... Have Fun!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 16 2009, 11:58 PM
Jazz Instructor
There is nothing wrong with practicing while playing, I do it all the time. It isn't as efficient as playing in the silence, but time goes by faster.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:46 AM