Pickup-install Question
Xuestor
Mar 2 2009, 07:43 PM
GMC:er
Hey!

I'm just about to install new pcikups in my Les Paul, and I'm a bit unsure about how to do. The previous gibson pickups was one-conductor pickups with the outer wire soldered onto the pot as ground, and the inner wire as HOT.

The new pickups I got is 4-conductor. According to the Seymour duncan schematics, I have to change A LOT of the soldering. I was just wondering if I instead can solder bare and green as ground on the pot. White and red togéther, and black as hot, similar to the one-conductor setup?

This is confusing I know, but this was my best attempt at explaining...

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 2 2009, 07:45 PM
Are you going to coil tap them?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Mar 2 2009, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 2 2009, 07:45 PM) *
Are you going to coil tap them?

nope, just regular setup

--------------------
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 2 2009, 08:44 PM
I don't know the Seymour Duncan color codes but you should be able to solder the two "inner" wires together so the pickup is in a serial configuration. Then you should be able to use it like a 2 connector one.

Edit: I just looked it up for you:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...tic=color_codes solder black to hot, back & white together and green to ground. And the unshielded wire to ground too.

Hope that helps.
- Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Mar 2 2009, 08:49 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Mar 2 2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, got it all working. The tricky part was that in SD's schematics, they had A LOT of ground wires going to all pots around. My setup didn't look like that, cause the input jack had it's own grounding plate soldered in the middle of the pots. I took a guess and it worked.

Thanks for the different brands colorcodes!

--------------------
Gear:
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 2 2009, 09:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Mar 2 2009, 09:07 PM) *
Yeah, got it all working. The tricky part was that in SD's schematics, they had A LOT of ground wires going to all pots around. My setup didn't look like that, cause the input jack had it's own grounding plate soldered in the middle of the pots. I took a guess and it worked.

Thanks for the different brands colorcodes!

I think DiMarzio is similar, but red and green are different. Right or wrong I think I soldered two together, like you suggested with krympslang (shrink hose?) and "hot" to where the old connection went.
I havn't installed that many new pu's to concider myself good at it especially since there's always some problems like - no sound - the tone pot doesn't act as it should - etc etc. It's fun though smile.gif

Glad you pulled it off!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:48 PM