Audio Interface?! Which One?
SteveGuitar
Dec 30 2013, 03:52 PM
GMC:er
What's up Forum ?

I am really looking forward to buying a new USB interface for recording my stuff at home ... and for GMC Rec Lessons. What have you used , what do you recommend? Budget is about 150/160 Euro max. = 220 US $ . Go , go , go ... do your Magic tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you for ecerything,

- Steve laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 30 2013, 04:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
I use Line6 UX2 and it works for me very good. I think it's the best choice at this price wink.gif It also came with POD Farm software and easy to configure.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_pod_studio_ux2.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Dec 30 2013, 04:47 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 30 2013, 04:40 PM) *
I use Line6 UX2 and it works for me very good. I think it's the best choice at this price wink.gif It also came with POD Farm software and easy to configure.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_pod_studio_ux2.htm

Thank you Monica! I was looking at this for quite a while , just wanted to ask if anybody had anything i hadn't seen smile.gif Thanks for confirming ! Now I am really tempted hehe biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Dec 30 2013, 05:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Im using Pod Studio GX, and its enough for mine home recordings. In this interface you have input for guitar and line out for phones/speaker. Its enough for me, becouse i dont need, yet nothing more.(mics etc)

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Dec 30 2013, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Lukasz Drazek @ Dec 30 2013, 05:01 PM) *
Im using Pod Studio GX, and its enough for mine home recordings. In this interface you have input for guitar and line out for phones/speaker. Its enough for me, becouse i dont need, yet nothing more.(mics etc)

Lukasz , Thank you , It looks like the little Brother of the ux2 smile.gif
I will look at this one in detail, aswell smile.gif

- Steve

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Dec 30 2013, 05:44 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I would also check out M-Audio products. For instance
http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_m_track.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Dec 30 2013, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Dec 30 2013, 05:44 PM) *
I would also check out M-Audio products. For instance
http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_m_track.htm

Thanks ! looks nice! and cheaper :3

But wouldn't you say the UX2 is better? And if not.. why exactly ? smile.gif

- Steve

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Dec 30 2013, 06:18 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I don't know which is better. I have only used M-Audio and I am happy about it. But I am an amateur player smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Dec 30 2013, 06:37 PM
I use a Presonus Audio Box USB 1.1, it has done me well for the cheap price that I've dropped on it. Which was like $150USD, 2 years ago. I have actually been reading up on a new box, something a tad bit higher in the price tag. I'm not seeing people say much will change. Oh it has the same inputs as the lower end model so you may end up with the same results, it just has more inputs for more mics/gear. Which I don't really need as I just record DI from my modeler .

So I'm guessing from what I've read, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure they give good drivers for what you are running, that's the biggest thing I've seen them mention. As for the UX2 vs whatever, if you don't need all the inputs why not maybe look at a UX1. The only really big difference is you get PodFarm.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
SteveGuitar
Dec 30 2013, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Dec 30 2013, 06:37 PM) *
I use a Presonus Audio Box USB 1.1, it has done me well for the cheap price that I've dropped on it. Which was like $150USD, 2 years ago. I have actually been reading up on a new box, something a tad bit higher in the price tag. I'm not seeing people say much will change. Oh it has the same inputs as the lower end model so you may end up with the same results, it just has more inputs for more mics/gear. Which I don't really need as I just record DI from my modeler .

So I'm guessing from what I've read, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure they give good drivers for what you are running, that's the biggest thing I've seen them mention. As for the UX2 vs whatever, if you don't need all the inputs why not maybe look at a UX1. The only really big difference is you get PodFarm.

Good Points, Thx SpaseMoonkey , I already looked at the UX1 , but I just like the UX2 better (at the moment) , but maybe I will give it another short glimpse wink.gif

- Steve

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Dec 30 2013, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (SteveGuitar @ Dec 30 2013, 12:55 PM) *
Good Points, Thx SpaseMoonkey , I already looked at the UX1 , but I just like the UX2 better (at the moment) , but maybe I will give it another short glimpse wink.gif

- Steve

The little gauges on the front set it off for me. laugh.gif Stupid things make the difference.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 30 2013, 09:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
are you wanting one that comes with a daw or not , if you want it to have a daw ( usually a light version) make sure accepts vst's , this might help you from having to pay to upgrade

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 31 2013, 01:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think UX1 or UX2 would be a good choice for the purpose. These some with their own amp/cab modeling software and really nice in home production environment. I use UX2 myself for 6+ years now and recorded a bunch of stuff on it.

Other options / possibly slight upgrades would be :

* Focusrite SCARLETT 2i2 USB AUDIO INTERFACE
* Presonus AudioBox USB

But you loose the convenient guitar modeling of Line6 devices.

When I record, I usually use the Line6 modeling for sound reference (it has direct monitoring option), I just setup a "quick tone". But, I actually record both processed and unprocessed sound. Then I just use the dry, unprocessed guitar signal and run it through more advanced modeling like Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube in the mixing stage to get a more quality sound.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 31 2013, 01:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SteveGuitar @ Dec 30 2013, 03:47 PM) *
Thank you Monica! I was looking at this for quite a while , just wanted to ask if anybody had anything i hadn't seen smile.gif Thanks for confirming ! Now I am really tempted hehe biggrin.gif

A friend of mine has it and he is really happy with it! I also posted two tones here on the forum that you can try out with the software it comes with - I do believe it's gearbox, correct? Check'em out here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=41250

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2014, 08:11 AM
UX1 and UX2 are very solid and come with pod farm which is very handy smile.gif If possible, try these out at a store, but if not, make sure where you buy it has a return policy. As bogdan mentioned, I'd suggest also taking a look at the SCARLETT 2i2 simply because it has slightly better preamps and DA conversion. But honestly you may not even notice the difference depending on your monitors, etc.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 31 2013, 07:24 AM) *
I think UX1 or UX2 would be a good choice for the purpose. These some with their own amp/cab modeling software and really nice in home production environment. I use UX2 myself for 6+ years now and recorded a bunch of stuff on it.

Other options / possibly slight upgrades would be :

* Focusrite SCARLETT 2i2 USB AUDIO INTERFACE
* Presonus AudioBox USB

But you loose the convenient guitar modeling of Line6 devices.

When I record, I usually use the Line6 modeling for sound reference (it has direct monitoring option), I just setup a "quick tone". But, I actually record both processed and unprocessed sound. Then I just use the dry, unprocessed guitar signal and run it through more advanced modeling like Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube in the mixing stage to get a more quality sound.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2014, 02:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 2 2014, 07:11 AM) *
UX1 and UX2 are very solid and come with pod farm which is very handy smile.gif If possible, try these out at a store, but if not, make sure where you buy it has a return policy. As bogdan mentioned, I'd suggest also taking a look at the SCARLETT 2i2 simply because it has slightly better preamps and DA conversion. But honestly you may not even notice the difference depending on your monitors, etc.

Good call here from Todd smile.gif What sort of monitors do you own?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:30 PM