4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Are We Self Taught?
FretDancer69
Nov 19 2007, 07:08 AM
GMC:er
Hey there GMCers. While I was practicing (Im stil am tongue.gif ), something came to my mind. "Are we self taught?" i said. Ive never recieved lessons from a live instructor since i took the electric guitar, so i guess that means i am self taught.

But

We are members of an awesome community called GuitarMasterclass. Instructors record their lessons to help us become better and professional guitar players.. So we do recieve tuition here, but its not live tuition.

So the question is, could you say that you are a self taught guitarrist if you practice the lessons here and those lessons are what is making you improve alot (like in my case).

Personally, i wouldnt mind saying "Self taught? hmmm...not really, i was part of a learning community for guitarrists and thats basically were I learned almost everything i know now. Im proud being a GMC member!"

what do u think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 19 2007, 07:10 AM
I don't think we are self taught because we are still in contact with all of the instructors if we need help on a specific subject. If you are self taught you have no contact with an instructor from what I believe.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Nov 19 2007, 07:10 AM
ahh im confuzed! >.<

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 19 2007, 07:16 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I`d say still self taught, although your provided with the lessons its still down to us to put in the effort and practice to learn and become better.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Nov 19 2007, 07:31 AM
To be honest, I don't think anyone is self taught, because in one way or another someone always finds some kind of info or advice somewhere. But I could be wrong

+Quote Post
Testament
Nov 19 2007, 07:39 AM
yeah, i agree with wyvern. unless you've never looked at a chord, scale or tab before, you're not really self-taught.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 19 2007, 07:45 AM
QUOTE (Testament @ Nov 19 2007, 06:39 AM) *
yeah, i agree with wyvern. unless you've never looked at a chord, scale or tab before, you're not really self-taught.

Yea I agree up to a point, but thats a little picky imo, if I sat and read a book on what chords are which what notes are what it wouldnt mean a great deal, it doesnt instantly make me able to play it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 19 2007, 07:48 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Testament @ Nov 19 2007, 06:39 AM) *

Well there is a difference between being taught 101 and a referrence such as a chord or scale book.
I think our lessons here at GMC are boarderline, as we have instructors, but its also kind of like a reference to certain styles/techniques that we search for.

However, i think our instructors deserve waaay more credit than that so when i'm asked if i get lessons i tell them
"Yeh Online lessons at GuitarMasterClass.net"

Hopefully that way i'm helping out the site as much as it helps me.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 19 2007, 07:56 AM
lol I'm not self taught. I was once asked what music school I attended, and I told them "I'm currently enrolled at GMC University, and this semester I'm taking classes from Professor Dahl, Professor Varajic ect. ect."

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 19 2007, 07:59 AM
Instructor
Really hard to tell what is self taught 100%.
Guess it means having no instruction or advices but taking everything by yourself.
My point of view. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 19 2007, 08:01 AM
Learning Roadie
I have a question about this. A place like berklee college of music in boston requires two years of professional training in your chosen instrument. However, nowhere that I can find is that defined. I know that if you look up someone in the phone book and take piano lessons, that counts. Since I'm paying for GMC, and doing *lessons* with *professional instructors* (isn't the definition of professional that it is your profession, and or that you're payed for it?). So I wonder if Berklee would accept that as professional instruction.

There is an audition though, and they say if you're good enough they will make exceptions to self taught people. Just makes me wonder.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 19 2007, 08:02 AM
QUOTE (Wyvernx @ Nov 19 2007, 12:31 AM) *
To be honest, I don't think anyone is self taught, because in one way or another someone always finds some kind of info or advice somewhere. But I could be wrong

good point there.

QUOTE (Muris @ Nov 19 2007, 12:59 AM) *
Really hard to tell what is self taught 100%.
Guess it means having no instruction or advices but taking everything by yourself.
My point of view. smile.gif

I agree, another reason i asked this, was because ive read some guitarist biographies and they say that they were self taught, of course, back in the day there was no Internet, but could they really become that good alone?

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 08:03 AM
Instructor
Rusty says he's self-taught although he was learning by Metal Method's video instructionals. I think you are self-taught as long as you don't officially get a degree on some music academy or something. That's my opinion, i'm not sure.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Testament
Nov 19 2007, 08:04 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 18 2007, 10:45 PM) *
Yea I agree up to a point, but thats a little picky imo, if I sat and read a book on what chords are which what notes are what it wouldnt mean a great deal, it doesnt instantly make me able to play it.

sure, but neither does taking an in-person lesson from an instructor.

i've got a friend who's never taken a lesson in his life and he tells people he's self-taught. though i wouldn't consider using guitar pro to learn things as self-taught, just like i wouldn't consider reading scales and chords to be self-taught. not that it isn't harder to learn without an instructor, it most certainly is. honestly, i think the problem lies in the wording. if there was an in-between place that didn't have to be self-taught or taught by an instructor, things would be much clearer.

However, i think our instructors deserve waaay more credit than that so when i'm asked if i get lessons i tell them
"Yeh Online lessons at GuitarMasterClass.net"

i couldn't agree more. cool.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 19 2007, 08:07 AM
QUOTE (Testament @ Nov 19 2007, 07:04 AM) *
honestly, i think the problem lies in the wording. if there was an in-between place that didn't have to be self-taught or taught by an instructor, things would be much clearer.

agreed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Nov 19 2007, 08:26 AM
Instructor
if you are a self taught you wouldnt be here. you have a good chance here to built your playing and style . you have many intsructors at GMC .and each one of them has a different style . i think its a big chance for you here. have a nice day

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 08:30 AM
Instructor
I think that Online resources and books don't count as "being taught". it's like learning C++ by online tutorials - you're not a degree programmer/developer. Same goes here - you're self-taught as long as you don't enroll some educational institution.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 19 2007, 08:33 AM
QUOTE (Wyvernx @ Nov 19 2007, 01:31 AM) *

Thats true, everyone has someones help at certain points. Except for the first person to ever play the guitar probably.

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Nov 19 2007, 08:35 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 18 2007, 11:33 PM) *
Thats true, everyone has someones help at certain points. Except for the first person to ever play the guitar probably.

Yes! that was the only exception I was going to mention laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 19 2007, 08:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 08:30 AM) *
I think that Online resources and books don't count as "being taught". it's like learning C++ by online tutorials - you're not a degree programmer/developer. Same goes here - you're self-taught as long as you don't enroll some educational institution.

I can almost agree here in total with you Pavel,regarding to instructional videos,books,tabs,sheets etc.
But having private classes in person with real instructor,that probably eliminates self taught option,
even if you don't get degree for it.
Once more,my opinion. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:48 AM