Secret To Vintage Tuners?
Chris S.
Jun 25 2015, 04:21 AM
Learning Roadie
Howdy!

So I picked up a vintage series MIM Stratocaster a little while back and I just threw a fresh set on and boy was it a pain in the tookus!!!

I've only ever dealt with locking or standard tuners so this was a completely new experience for me but I followed this video:

E A & D were flawless no issues, total breeze.

G B & e were complete [insert as many explitives you can think of]!

The video made it look like a cake walk but the higher strings would slip right out as soon as I tried to do the first wrap.

So, is there a trade secret to making this a lot easier or is it just like everything else - the more I do it, the easier it gets?

Thanks!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2015, 05:03 AM
GMC:er
I've always used locking trems with modern tuners or locking tuners so I can't be of much help here sad.gif The good news is that we have wads of start/tele guys here @ GMC and I"m sure one of them has exactly the info you need smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 25 2015, 05:48 AM
GMC:er
Leave a hands width (or a little more) distance of slack. I cut the excess.
Wrap around 1/2 the post first then around the entire post.
3 full wraps are best.

This vid shows the technique ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 25 2015, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 25 2015, 11:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I actually though all tuners were like this since the guitar I had all had this type of tuners/system. I always found it to be pain in the ass to do and I would end up with cuts on my fingers from sharp string ends. Thanks for bringing this up though, I didn't know those would classify as "vintage" and that there are other "easier" types of tuners out there.

I usually just bring the string to tension and leave like 5 cm of excess length in relation to the tuner (cut the rest) so that when I start winding it up, it doesn't take forever.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 25 2015, 11:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 25 2015, 04:48 AM) *
Leave a hands width (or a little more) distance of slack. I cut the excess.
Wrap around 1/2 the post first then around the entire post.
3 full wraps are best.

This vid shows the technique ...

Thanks Ken!

Will definitely try this next time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:55 PM