Synth. Curious?
Mertay
Dec 25 2019, 09:59 AM
GMC:er
I was never a synth. guy but do enjoy playing with them time to time. The number of freeware synth.s on web is insane so its easy to get lost but I got 2 which should cover most needs (cause most freeware do the same thing, only designed different). These are for mac and pc;

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io

https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one-synt...lenge-122-surge

Currently most popular and under constant development.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190331141735/...1969/softsynth/

Synth1 is older but still gets updates, follow the link for 25000+ presets;

I like the fact that while most payware stuff is focused on dance/edm/hip-hop etc. these (although very capable) seem to serve a more universal perspective when you start browsing presets. They're also very easy on computer resources as they don't use samples.

Also, if you find yourself wanting to get a bit deeper U-HE freeware is a good starting point (as a gateway to payware). Check their freeware here;

https://u-he.com/products/#synths

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 25 2019, 10:14 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2019, 02:39 AM
Cool stuff! Thanks for the share! My favorite price as well smile.gif As reaper gets better and better I'm guessing they will start including synths and presets much like how LOGIC X has synths built in that have been absorbed in to logic over time. Also, having a big built in midi library is a handy think in logic and something that i'm thinking reaper may add as well at some point.

Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 25 2019, 04:59 AM) *
I was never a synth. guy but do enjoy playing with them time to time. The number of freeware synth.s on web is insane so its easy to get lost but I got 2 which should cover most needs (cause most freeware do the same thing, only designed different). These are for mac and pc;

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io

https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one-synt...lenge-122-surge

Currently most popular and under constant development.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190331141735/...1969/softsynth/

Synth1 is older but still gets updates, follow the link for 25000+ presets;

I like the fact that while most payware stuff is focused on dance/edm/hip-hop etc. these (although very capable) seem to serve a more universal perspective when you start browsing presets. They're also very easy on computer resources as they don't use samples.

Also, if you find yourself wanting to get a bit deeper U-HE freeware is a good starting point (as a gateway to payware). Check their freeware here;

https://u-he.com/products/#synths

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 26 2019, 09:09 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 26 2019, 01:39 AM) *

Not likely unfortunately, cause there are only 2 guys behind Reaper. Even Cubase can't bring its price down to what Logic asks being as feature-rich so its better to say Reaper is aiming for a different crowd.

Aside homestudio guys, Reaper gets those who customize their plug-ins to a point they don't needs what their DAW offers.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 26 2019, 09:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 27 2019, 03:29 AM
They don't have to code it themselves of course. The folks who built what became logic, just bought companies that were doing cool stuff and added them to the package. I don't know how much money reaper makes these guys, but I do hope it's enough to add features to the daw that make it more complete. But I'm spoiled by LOGIC X which has TONS of stuff built in and includes it's own audio and midi library. It's impossible for other daws to offer that much stuff for what logic charges.

They sell logic at a low price simply to get folks to buy a mac. The mac is just the dongle that makes LOGIC run smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 26 2019, 04:09 AM) *
Not likely unfortunately, cause there are only 2 guys behind Reaper. Even Cubase can't bring its price down to what Logic asks being as feature-rich so its better to say Reaper is aiming for a different crowd.

Aside homestudio guys, Reaper gets those who customize their plug-ins to a point they don't needs what their DAW offers.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 27 2019, 03:35 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 27 2019, 08:57 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 27 2019, 02:29 AM) *
They don't have to code it themselves of course. The folks who built what became logic, just bought companies that were doing cool stuff and added them to the package. I don't know how much money reaper makes these guys, but I do hope it's enough to add features to the daw that make it more complete. But I'm spoiled by LOGIC X which has TONS of stuff built in and includes it's own audio and midi library. It's impossible for other daws to offer that much stuff for what logic charges.

They sell logic at a low price simply to get folks to buy a mac. The mac is just the dongle that makes LOGIC run smile.gif
Todd

Logic is owned by Apple itself so the bonus starts (and fair competition ends) there smile.gif Apple is smart to keep the prices so low, as you mentioned the profit comes from the computer sales rather than the program.

Reaper still is only 60 bucks. The bonus here is more funds left for personalization, like someone can buy reaper+THD instead of logic and get a better guitar sound etc. . Infect there are so many good quality freeware these days logic needs a step-up for a while now (its been forever since everyone is still waiting for the big update)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 27 2019, 09:54 AM
Yes, logic is an apple product. That was my point smile.gif It's insanely cheap for what it provides because it's owned by apple who just want you to buy a mac so they will take a huge loss on LOGIC.

Just the midi and sound library the logic comes with are worth way more than the price tag of the DAW. Then again, the massive sound/midi library that comes with GARAGE BAND is worth several hundred bucks and GARAGE BAND is FREE! LOGIC is really just GARAGE BAND PRO as was pointed out in another thread. The interface can look just like Garage band if the user wants it to which makes switching to logic quite easy.
It's true that LOGIC has not seen an update in forever. Not a BIG update I mean. There have been many incremental updates. However, it's really darn good like it is. Which is why so many folks use it. Well, mac folks use it. One can get a used macbook pro from 2012 and buy logic and have a good basis for a home studio right there. Add some monitors and a scarlett interface and bam.

However, as you mention, the guitar processor in logic is not even close to being as good as something like OVERLOUD. Which is why I use overloud with logic. It's just sooo much better than the built in processor. Also, I use EZ drummer with logic since I don't like the built in drum plugins. I do use the Midi that came with logic which works with any midi plugin so that's handy.

It's still way more pricey than reaper. Still for mac folks, it's one of the main reasons to own a mac to start with. If one doesn't use logic, or final cut, there isn't much reason to own a mac imho.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 27 2019, 03:57 AM) *
Logic is owned by Apple itself so the bonus starts (and fair competition ends) there smile.gif Apple is smart to keep the prices so low, as you mentioned the profit comes from the computer sales rather than the program.

Reaper still is only 60 bucks. The bonus here is more funds left for personalization, like someone can buy reaper+THD instead of logic and get a better guitar sound etc. . Infect there are so many good quality freeware these days logic needs a step-up for a while now (its been forever since everyone is still waiting for the big update)

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 4 2020, 06:44 PM
https://www.kv331audio.com/synthmasterplayer.aspx

Can't believe I forgot about this one, the developer is a facebook friend of mine biggrin.gif

Great for beginners, preset based but does give some control for tweak. Free, the payware gives extra presets (very affordable). Synthmaster is highly respected in the software community.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:20 AM