Concepts Of Playing Bass
ElHombre
Dec 3 2013, 01:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have a few questions regarding recording bass.

What does a bass play? smile.gif
Say If I play over a riff

Do I mess around with arpeggios, chord tones or what "can i play"
I want to do something more than just laying on the root chord

I drop my guitar in a pitch, 1 octave.
So over my 7 string riffs, would I record bass using the low A flat string or would that be too heavy?
So I would use the E flat string mostly?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 3 2013, 02:41 PM
Instructor
Let's talk about single situations..otherwise we could just say - bass can do everything smile.gif

In rock music for example bass usually supports root notes of the chords, being also a good company for the bass drum rhythm smile.gif Very often it playes exacly the sam notes as guitar but in the low range. Sometimes it repeat some parts of the melody etc

I think that a the stage of getting know with the bass arrangement for Your records You could try for the basic concept. Try make similar bass part to the backing guitars track.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 3 2013, 03:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very interesting questions.

You've got it right when you mentioned arpeggios and chord tones.
Bassist usually stick to these notes as the best choice when supporting the band. These notes are part of chords played by the guitarist/keyboard player so the notes usually sound very strong. Of course, the root note is and always will be your friend. Other chord tones and scale tones are usually used for fills and short licks.

This is if we would really generalize the bass instrument. Sometimes you want to create fun intervals against guitar chords/riff so you might intentionally drive another interval/note instead of a root.

When it comes to riffs, bassist usually play the same lines as guitar but slower. So if the riff has some repeated notes played in 16th note pulse, bass would do the same in 8th notes. Also, you might just want to keep the background chords (roots) to support the riffs - this depends on type of music.

Most important is to have an excellent relation to what the drums are playing, usually you don't want to play too much on bass (as if you would prefer to do on guitar smile.gif ), rather try to find space for bass between the kick and snare drum hits.

About the tuning - I would stick to regular or dropped bass tunings for 4 and 5 string bass.
Check out bands that are similar to style you want to play and see in which tuning their bass guitarist plays for best reference.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 3 2013, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks

Well yet again drums are mentioned
So there is no esacpe for me not to learn about drums I guess smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 3 2013, 07:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 3 2013, 07:35 PM) *
Thanks

Well yet again drums are mentioned
So there is no esacpe for me not to learn about drums I guess smile.gif

Yes - drums and bass are the best friends! smile.gif

I would suggest learning about drums essentially like elements of a drum kick, how does drummer play a simple groove, how drums work against a metronome. If you have drums VST, you could try to "draw" simple midi grooves in your DAW - that is the best way to learn how drums work. It is very important to learn to listen to the drums and see when kick is playing in time (on which beats in a bar) and also be able to isolate other main elements : snare and hi hat. Those 3 elements are enough to get a feeling for the drum groove and be able to blend in with the bass.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:46 PM