Andy Timmons - Cry For You, one of newest live performances
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Love his playing and this song...probably most famous as far as I can judge by covers frequency smile.gif I also love the idea of leavinf some space for impros in original compositions...so every performance of same song is speciall and unique smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 13 2013, 03:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 13 2013, 04:17 PM) *
Love his playing and this song...probably most famous as far as I can judge by covers frequency smile.gif I also love the idea of leavinf some space for impros in original compositions...so every performance of same song is speciall and unique smile.gif

Back when I used to play with a band, I always said that the songs we made should have improvised solos, unless of course it's something special or part of a theme or whatever, but for me improvised solos are the way to go.

Andy Timmons is such a great player! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Feels so natural and I remember one vid where he smashed Vai and Satriani (or Malmsteen hmmmm?) while live jam smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 13 2013, 05:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Of all the guitar instrumental guys out there he has a passion and rawness to his live playing, even though he plays cleanly, there are a lot of string rakes etc and he doesn't just stand there.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 13 2013, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
Andy really have something unique. I also love the idea with "leave some space for impro".
Every time (daily biggrin.gif ) when I look at his style of playing I realize how many millions hours and how hard work he put behind for every perfect note. His feeling of playing, I didn't find it at many guitarists. For me Andy always is and will be standard of perfection smile.gif

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 13 2013, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
cry for you by andy timmons was the main reason I started to practice guitar again 7 years ago after a longer break from playing. i found a youtube video of this song and actually started playing again (in addition to that I saw a column of kristopher dahl which gave me additional motivation!)
In my opinion andy timmons is one of the greates when it comes to phrasing and tone.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 13 2013, 08:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
I worked out one of his easier songs and it was pretty brutal. I still feel I could use a year or two practicing before I could truly nail it. Also that is just learning something already written, it's a big difference actually writing such a piece.

Cry for You is a beautiful song and the build up is my favorite part about his songs. His breakdowns are so catchy. The soloing during that tune is amazing.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 09:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wollace03 @ Sep 13 2013, 06:38 PM) *
cry for you by andy timmons was the main reason I started to practice guitar again 7 years ago after a longer break from playing. i found a youtube video of this song and actually started playing again (in addition to that I saw a column of kristopher dahl which gave me additional motivation!)
In my opinion andy timmons is one of the greates when it comes to phrasing and tone.

Huge thing my friend! Great to know this smile.gif I think he also made many players start they guitar adventure smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 13 2013, 07:21 PM) *
I worked out one of his easier songs and it was pretty brutal. I still feel I could use a year or two practicing before I could truly nail it. Also that is just learning something already written, it's a big difference actually writing such a piece.

Cry for You is a beautiful song and the build up is my favorite part about his songs. His breakdowns are so catchy. The soloing during that tune is amazing.

The main problem with similar songs is...HOW CAN WE learn something that even wasn't learned by the author because 3/4 of the song is improvised smile.gif Same with Beck...You want to copy him but...He cannot copy himself either so...the task is twice as hard biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 14 2013, 07:15 AM
Learning Roadie
This clip blows me away with Andy, No showing off doing his job as a side man and creating a beautiful solo that complements the song.
The fact that he does nothing fancy but backing up with simple chords, shows what a great musician he is.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 14 2013, 10:49 AM
Instructor
Now imagine how many times You go to a concert where guitar player plays tasty backing and You how no idea of what he realy can do with this instrument. Now that's a culture of playing smile.gif

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 14 2013, 11:09 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 14 2013, 07:15 AM) *
This clip blows me away with Andy, No showing off doing his job as a side man and creating a beautiful solo that complements the song.
The fact that he does nothing fancy but backing up with simple chords, shows what a great musician he is.

thanx for the vid.
another example of his tasty playing ad very inspiring!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 14 2013, 11:48 AM
A great example of impro playing...thats how I like it. You don't have to commit thing to memory...just play and enjoy...use the stuff you have learnt and go for it...Thats true musicianship IMO opinion and the most exciting type of music. cool.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 17 2013, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Electric Gypsy with some Improvisation

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 18 2013, 09:02 PM
Instructor
Another great example smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:38 AM