Youtube Copyright, How?, need some proper advices
maharzan
May 16 2011, 06:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Guys,

So, I covered this Until We say Goodbye by Satriani few days ago and what the heck, I got a Copyright infringement (kind of) message on YouTube. It says, the video will still be available and I don't have to do anything but it sounds pretty bad. I am sure some of you have had this issue as well.

The question is, how do we actually upload cover songs? I see a lot of ripped songs (concerts/dvds) getting millions of views and don't see any copyright thingy on their videos. So, why me? Can we not do that at all? Its a learning process and I am not making any money out of it plus I have credited the artist as well. Its sad that this copyright thing is not that good. It sounds like even listening to someones music in public is copyright infringement as others are hearing it as well without paying you know. biggrin.gif

Anyway, if anyone has any advices, they are all welcome. I am just learning to cover songs and don't want to land in a legal battle, lol.

Thanks,
Chandra

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 16 2011, 06:22 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 16 2011, 06:29 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Its normal, it just a warning pretty much. When I did montages and such for people for video games and I used music over it I always got the message, nothing was ever done though. Usually it just means that your video might have ads in it, or links to where the song can be bought.

I have those warnings on videos about a half a year old now and nothing has actually happened.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 16 2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ah Thanks The Uncreator. I was beginning to wonder. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 16 2011, 07:57 AM
GMC:er
It's because your playing is too good, you need to tone it down and not sound better than the original or they will get mad! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 16 2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
LoL! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif mad.gifmad.gif

Then, I will take that message as a "well, you have improved quite a lot now" message. I feel happy about it if thats the case. wink.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 16 2011, 08:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
May 16 2011, 10:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Aww.. you'll be ok man smile.gif

This post has been edited by zen: May 16 2011, 11:36 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 16 2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks zen. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 16 2011, 04:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I have that issue with a lot of my cover songs. I just ignore it. I try to dispute the claim, but it doesn't always work. I just leave it alone. It's annoying nonetheless. I feel your pain. wink.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 16 2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ah.. thanks for the info fireball. I am planning to do more covers so don't want to get my content blocked or account deleted. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean_1234
May 16 2011, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 16 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Ah.. thanks for the info fireball. I am planning to do more covers so don't want to get my content blocked or account deleted. smile.gif

It ain't GMC over there wink.gif In the worse case the audio will be muted and your work on that video will have been for nothing wink.gif

I've got quite some covers online and never any serious problems, but I've received the same message as you have wink.gif

This post has been edited by Sean_1234: May 16 2011, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 16 2011, 07:41 PM
Instructor
Never happened to me tho. I named the artists and said that the songs are being used for non-commercial purposes. Not sure how YT robots can see if something is right or not mellow.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 16 2011, 08:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yes this happens with some videos. It happened to me too and video got "disabled" for some countries.
It's very impressive how youtube does this automatically. I'm guessing they have some kind of software like "Shazam" that automatically recognizes songs.

Don't worry much about it, they shouldn't ban you or something.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 16 2011, 09:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
There's no worries guys.
YouTube automatically scan every video upload for songs or videos that companies have decided they don't want there. For example WMG have removed most of their music from youtube, and all WMG songs will be muted by upload (YouTube didn't pay them enough).
You can however dispute covers, excusing them as educational. But if you dispute for no valid reason, you -could- face legal action (I doubt it though). But you will probably recieve a warning (several giving an account-removal). Of course it depends on the severity.

Edit: Spelling.

2nd Edit:
When you dispute, if I recall correctly, your dispute is sent from YouTube to the copyright holder for them to look through and decide if they want to take action or allow it to stay on YouTube. That is why when you dispute, the video/audio will automatically be unmuted. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: May 16 2011, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 17 2011, 03:20 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Cool.. Thanks for sharing all your valuable experiences. I will just leave it as it is for now. Lets see. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 17 2011, 07:12 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Interestingly, the copyright message is now gone from my video today. smile.gif I changed the title to "Cover" the other day, maybe something to do with that. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 17 2011, 04:15 PM
Instructor
Might, that's good luck smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:58 AM