Which Scales?, lost
bliopster
Feb 1 2008, 06:39 AM
GMC:er
ive been playing guitar on and off for a few years starting to pick it up heavily now but i never took any time to learn scales or any notes until i sign up for gmc = ] how do you know which scales to use when soloing? i make up decent solos by trial and error but i found a site with all the scales there are so many! i know i must be using them but i have no idea how to single out the ones i need for certain sounds any advice greatly appreciated ^^;!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 1 2008, 07:41 AM
Instructor
First choice would be Major,Minor,Major Pentatonic and Minor Pentatonic.
Check out some video lessons,there are scales diagrams bellow written text
AND check out Andrew's theory lesson.

Welcome to GMC smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 1 2008, 09:33 AM
Lets go fishing!
Remember that you kill two birds with one stone - GMC Lessons provide accompanying scale charts along with lessons. You can learn technique and licks as well as scales at any one time... wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 1 2008, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC.

I suggest you take a look at Andrew's Theory board FIRST. Scales are very very good explained and it can give you some insights and ideas what to practice.
Off course if you haven't practiced scales before, i suggest the usual - A minor pentatonic in all positions for starters. Keep us updated of your learning experience, so we can help you even further. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Feb 1 2008, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (bliopster @ Feb 1 2008, 06:39 AM) *
i found a site with all the scales there are so many! i know i must be using them but i have no idea how to single out the ones i need for certain sounds any advice greatly appreciated ^^;!

There really aren't that many:
If you learn the minor pentatonic scale and the major scale, you're almost there.
Change a note in each pattern and you've got harmonic minor, change two and get melodic minor.

If you learn the minor pentatonic, major pentatonic is learnt as well (just shift the positions).

Learn the major scale in the five CAGED positions (and you will notice that the pentatonic scale fits right into that) - and play them all the time.

When you know it by heart, and played the modes (dorian, phrygian, lydian, ...), learn the harmonic minor scale. Almost identical to the major scale boxes.
And the fun begins. laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:23 PM