Gibson Les Paul Standard - Neck Question, 50's / 60's
fatb0t
Sep 3 2008, 07:23 PM
GMC:er
I'm in the market for a smokin' Les Paul. I've been checking eBay and noticed there seems to be two predominate types of necks - 50's and then 60's styles. Anyone have any experience with this? I found a super nice Standard - 60's style neck - with a desert burst finish and burstbuckers near my home town for $1700 USD.
Let me know your thoughts on that price, and the differences in the type of necks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Noangels
Sep 3 2008, 10:15 PM
My classic has a 60's neck on it-I believe they are thinner than the earlier 50's ones.
There great guitars to play on and record with,any ryth work I do is always recorded with the LP as it
sounds superb with a miced up cab and an overdriven head.

I tried a standard a couple of years ago in a guitar shop in Southampton and that played very well too,but was the 50's neck.A bit chunkier but still played the same

The scale length on them is less that strats and superstrats,and i have noticed on some of my bands tunes its a lot easier to play add9 chords near the nut end of the neck

I think the shops here were doing the standards at about 1,500 GBP

Buy one you wont regret it,quality build and great tone woods(I still prefer my strat for solos!)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Sep 4 2008, 12:40 AM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 3 2008, 11:23 AM) *
I'm in the market for a smokin' Les Paul. I've been checking eBay and noticed there seems to be two predominate types of necks - 50's and then 60's styles. Anyone have any experience with this? I found a super nice Standard - 60's style neck - with a desert burst finish and burstbuckers near my home town for $1700 USD.
Let me know your thoughts on that price, and the differences in the type of necks.

I have a 2006 Les Paul Standard Faded with a 60s neck - My guitar had the option of the 50s neck as well, but I didn't know it at the time I bought it. The 60s neck is thinner and is actually a bit tapered towards the body. Some prefer one over the other but you really should try both and find out what feels better to you, as I don't think there is one that is superior to the other, otherwise Gibson wouldn't even offer both versions.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 4 2008, 07:21 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The 60's style neck is known as a "slim taper" designed to be a faster neck. 50's style necks are aka "baseball necks", more rounded. This doesn't necessarily mean that one is faster than the other. Although I prefer the slimmer necks many people have even been known to worship the 50's necks.
I find it more easy to play different things on a 60's neck and other things on a 50's neck, so it all comes down to what you prefer. Try 'em out and pick the one that suits you the most!

If I had to choose... ... ... ... ...probably the 60's neck, but I'm not sure at all biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Sep 4 2008, 07:22 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 5 2008, 01:12 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I prefer the 50s necks, they add to the tone big time. And yes, they are the thick baseball necks wink.gif the 60s profile is very nice too though, both are very nice necks, I guess in the end it all comes down to your personal taste, and as I said, if I can chose I will always go for the fat version.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Sep 5 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
This is all news to me.. didnt know about the 50s and 60s neck ohmy.gif
Anyone know what the Les Paul Studios have?

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 5 2008, 03:13 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Sep 5 2008, 04:10 PM) *
This is all news to me.. didnt know about the 50s and 60s neck ohmy.gif
Anyone know what the Les Paul Studios have?

Yours have the 50's neck, and mine have the 60's biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Sep 5 2008, 06:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 5 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Yours have the 50's neck, and mine have the 60's biggrin.gif

Aha smile.gif Thanks.
I'm really not sure what i prefer then.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2008, 08:53 PM
Instructor
Very interesting tips guys, thanks for sharing, didn't know about the whole 50s-60s Gibson necks thing until now. Learn something new everyday smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 8 2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Yup, there are some Studios with 50s neck and some with 60s neck, same for Standard models. As I said I would always prefer the thick 50s neck, it adds so much to the tone and I love this feeling of really having something in my hand smile.gif And after all I am no shredder, so that neck is perfectly fine for me smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:09 PM