A Change Of Seasons Practice Thread, ...started practicing this today
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 14 2015, 09:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've known part I of this epic ages ago, but today I decided to start practicing it again and wanted to record my progress. Here's what I have so far:

It's still sloppy and there are lots to improve, but that will come in the next video I put up, I think smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 15 2015, 06:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Waow ..... Pretty Nice

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 15 2015, 02:20 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Great! That last fast run is a beast laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2015, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Awesome project mate! This is one of my favorite songs by DT, and I've always wanted to play it but couldn't because of the use of a 7th string guitar. I would get one just to play this song. I'll be following your progress here. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2015, 11:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Been working a bit on the first verse today. It's proving a real pain in the arse. I'm gonna have nightmares about 3/4s and 9/8s...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2015, 06:58 AM
GMC:er
Very spiff!!!! There is always room to improve but it looks like you've got a good handle on this one!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 14 2015, 04:41 PM) *
I've known part I of this epic ages ago, but today I decided to start practicing it again and wanted to record my progress. Here's what I have so far:

It's still sloppy and there are lots to improve, but that will come in the next video I put up, I think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 16 2015, 08:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's second day of practice. Started working on part 2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael, great to see you progressing with this one!

What are you using to record your guitar? The camera's mic? If not, I think that you tone needs some tweaks, it's not warm in both rhythm and solo sections, it's more like a "mosquito" style distortion. If you are recording by line, this is serious, but if you are using your camera mic, I even think that maybe some EQ tweak would be a good idea.

About your playing, you have most of this part mastered. However you should take care of the riffs/licks between 1:45 and 2:21, where the faster palm muted group of notes are not sound smoother. I think that the problem are the sextuplets but it's related to your stamina.

I also noted that you tend to play the unison at 2:37 a bit "hurried" and that the final melodies could sound tighter, and the vibrato more connected with the backing. I feel that your vibrato is a bit nervous there, while the melody is beautiful.

I hope that the feedback helps, keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2015, 04:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for listening and for the advice, Gabriel smile.gif I'll take it with me for my next take.

The tone is actually from my soundcard. I just downloaded a tone called Petrucci 1992 to my BIAS and used that. Any suggestions what exactly I could tweak?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2015, 07:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've tweaked my tone a little bit, and here are two takes, one with single and one with double tracking:

[attachment=42960:A_Change...y_3_test.mp3]
[attachment=42961:A_Change..._tracked.mp3]

Are they better tone wise?

EDIT: Don't mind the playing too much, I messed up a few times. Hadn't warmed up before playing smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 17 2015, 07:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 17 2015, 10:58 PM
Learning Roadie
i'll try both tomorow, but i'm sure to find someting fine played !

i like to can play this track as you do (at least) and some opeth ones (it can be a goal for the future )

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 18 2015, 01:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2015, 03:25 PM) *
I've tweaked my tone a little bit, and here are two takes, one with single and one with double tracking:

[attachment=42960:A_Change...y_3_test.mp3]
[attachment=42961:A_Change..._tracked.mp3]

Are they better tone wise?

EDIT: Don't mind the playing too much, I messed up a few times. Hadn't warmed up before playing smile.gif

yes, this ones are better! I would try with different mic positions to see if the EQ becomes even warmer. By the way, if would be good if you do some A/B comparison with the original song while you try tweaking EQ or mic position.

But I like this one more...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:33 PM