Dual Treble Bleed Mod. :), Coil tap mode
Mertay
Mar 14 2014, 04:53 PM
GMC:er
This week the guitar went to the luthier to mod. the volume pot to a push/pull. It activated or deactivated the treble bleed which was default on the guitar. After playing a little turns out the guitar was very muddy without the treble bleed mod.

I made some web research to figure out what else I could do but it was tough, there are many treble bleed mod info but not much that combines the coil tap and the possibilities (like wiring etc.). Then I asked Darius for help and he saved the day biggrin.gif

He actually draw a diagram which I don't believe can be found anywhere else; I got to install back the original treble bleed cap ( .033uF) and also installed a .001uF smile.gif

To keep it short, what a treble bleed does it it keeps the guitars sound from darkening when the volume is rolled down. The other cap (activated by push/pull pot) works the same but is smaller value so actually brightens (or brings forward) the tone.

I just got this mod. done yesterday so I'm not sure if its perfected (and keep in mind I'm not much of a clean tone expert either biggrin.gif). But it seems to work nice with the brighter sounds the switch has to offer, might even work better with more open sounding pickups or splits to get closer to vintage sounds.

The example I recorded is (volume turned 180 degrees, soundcard preamp turned full on only di "no fx or amps");

Attached File  dualcap.mp3 ( 1.67MB ) Number of downloads: 148

1- Parallel neck with .033 cap
2- Parallel neck with .001 cap
3- Neck+bridge with .033 cap
4- Neck+bridge with .001 cap
5- Neck+bridge inner coils with .033 cap
6- Neck+bridge inner coils with .001 cap

PS; After the new cap was installed the tone of the guitar slightly opened up. When asked The luthier said the wires and solderings are started to go bad and new ones must be resoldered. The guitars close to 20 year old so keep this in mind if you have an old guitar and find it dark sounding wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 14 2014, 04:57 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 15 2014, 12:49 PM
Instructor
Nice review of Your experiments smile.gif I'm glad I could help smile.gif Been doing similar experiments too. It's true that with some values of cap at some particular volume knob position You can get almost strat-like tone...even on humbucker with no coli split smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 15 2014, 02:46 PM
GMC:er
Thanks! smile.gif

I modded the neck pickup last night and things are getting better smile.gif now I'm slowly working on a vst amp, seems if I can balance its gain and tone well enough there won't be any need to turn on the soundcards preamps. I see a Gary Morre collab. is on, might be a nice chance to test the tone in action smile.gif

I'm also adding links I liked while researching just for archiving incase anyone needs it;

http://rowbinet.co.uk/2011/10/02/guitar-re...ble-bleed-mods/

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/...nse-curves.html

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:20 AM