Hey guys!
j78
Jan 10 2007, 11:44 PM
GMC:er
I thought I'd introduce myself as well.

I am 28 years old, from Stockholm Sweden, and have been playing guitar on and off since junior high school. I listen to various kind of music, basically everything between classical music and heavy metal. But my guitar repertoire tend to lean towards hard rock and heavy metal.

Self taught as I am on guitar, I would say that my "home made" style of playing has improved over the years. But for some time now, I have felt that this "home made" style will never get me as fast and accurate as I would like to become. I have come to realize the immense restrictions in the way I play.
So I decided to start over from scratch and do it with correct technique.
As you may realize, it is really, really difficult to "un-learn" what I know, and learn to play in a whole different way. So I am experiencing a very difficult and challenging time as a guitar player right now, as many basic and easy things sounds like crap and I mess them up due to this whole change of style...

But when I stumbled across this site, I felt hope for the very first time, and after 2 hours of various lessons by Kris, I have noticed more progress than I have for the past 2 weeks. So thanks Kris!!!

My gear:
* LTD M1000 FM
* ESP Eclipse 1 CTM
* Boss MT-2 distortion pedal
* Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer
* Guitar Rig 2
* .008-.038 strings
* .46 Dunlop Pick

//J78

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by j78: Jan 10 2007, 11:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 11 2007, 01:03 AM
Instructor
Hey m8! Welcome to GMC!

I know what you are talking about because at some period of time in my playing i was changing styles of picking and it was a nightmare! But with regular practice you'll get it down!
Wanted to ask you: aren't those .49 picks a bit tooo thin?
Just work on these lessons and you'll get it all!
Good luck and see you around!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jan 11 2007, 03:27 AM
welcome, you got some awsome axes dude

not only is his picks thin, his string are too!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2007, 07:32 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Hej!
I know exactly what you mean with unlearning and restarting, had terrible problems myself when I droppped everything and restarted about one year ago. A simple thing as changing the way you hold the pick made me struggle with the simplest licks, I was truly a beginner again after 16 years of playing laugh.gif

It was comforting to hear Paul Gilbert say in an interview that he held the pick "wrongly", just as I did, for 7 years. He also said he started off only playing downstrokes since his tutor told him to and some other wierd stuff. tongue.gif
So we're in great company together with Mr Gilbert.

Rock on Stockholm! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 11 2007, 08:27 AM
GMC Founder
Welcome j78!

Seems we are getting to be a whole bunch of Stockholmers here - cool! Heja Sverige! biggrin.gif Welcome to GMC!

--------------------

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 11 2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it seems like we are quite many from Stockholm area!

Heh, I get many comments and head-shakes from people when I mentione that I use soo thin strings and picks. smile.gif But it just feels more comfortable with the thin strings. As for the pick, well I have started to use .60 and .88 picks lately (I was told that thicker picks would make it easier to gain accurate strokes on the strings), but as with everything else, even this small change makes it difficult to play the easiest of licks.
Boy do I feel like a complete beginner again...

But I only have the .008 set of strings on my LTD. For the ESP, I use regular .009-.042 gauge strings.
The .008 strings in combination with the floating trem on the LTD makes it easier for me to play solos.
(Perhaps I need to increase the strength in my left hand fingers...?)

Anyway, thanks for the welcoming!

/J78

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 11 2007, 01:32 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Jan 11 2007, 03:27 AM) *
welcome, you got some awsome axes dude

not only is his picks thin, his string are too!

Hey Rob_g,

thanks, yeah I like my guitars. They are great.
the M1000 is really, really comfortable and well balanced. The only thing, is that the neck is slightly too thick for my short fingers. It's narrower than for example most Ibanez guitar necks, but it is on the other hand not as thin as the Ibanez necks.

The Eclipse (black satin finish) is soo sexy, I almost crapped in my pants the first time I saw it. (I still do, by the way tongue.gif )

// J78

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:26 PM