> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

B.B's Blues, Lesson By Chris Harrington
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
9 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Peter VP
May 21 2016, 02:31 PM
Experienced Tone Master
Original lesson: B.B's Blues by Chris Harrington

Hi Guys, Here's my take of this wonderful lesson. Hope you like it! Thanks Chris, keep 'm coming Cheers Peter

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 23 2016, 06:42 PM
Instructor
Hey Peter smile.gif
Well done. Not much to spot here smile.gif I think the very first details that captures my attention is the note at 0:07 (14th fret prebend). It definitely sound a half-step too high (getting into major rather than minor mood). I can't notice anything serious to fix. Timing is a slippery thing in blues playing - we do not try to fit it that much precise so it's even a kind of "nasty" to try to judge timing in this take - it sits well to me smile.gif

I remember talking about the vibrato (not directly with me - rather an insctuctors feedback at one of your previous takes). I think you've progressed but it is still not exactly what people would expect. First your vibrato was very fast but shallow. Now it got deeper and it sound closer to what we can hear in blues playing very often. Yet...for my subjective feelings it still sort of more "looks wide and fast" than sounds. Maybe try to sacrifice like 10% of rate for the sake of depth. The problem that happens is that at some point your finger keeps moving but it does not affect the string that much anymore (not as much as at the beginning of the note). I think I would start searching for a cause riught there smile.gif Of course the take is still a piece of great work smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2016, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Peter, nice take!

You can play the whole lesson very well, without any notable thing to fix. However, I feel that you can get even more from this lesson.

There are 3 elements that I would review from the original lesson and the reason is not because we want you to copy instructor's feeling, the reason is that I think that it can add more tools into your playing.

- Dynamics: Just take the first phrase and notice how much dynamics is Stephane using. The difference in intensities is so tasty.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato tends to be small and fast most of the time, making everything sound like "nervous". Listen carefully to Stephane's vibrato and notice how his technique tends to be wider, and not as fast.

- Bending: There is more room to make your playing more expressing by reaching the pitches slower or faster depending on the lick. Just put some attention on this trick.

That's all mate, again, your take it good, just some details to make it even better.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2016, 07:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Peter, that was really really good! After a while, I felt my foot tapping and I was being drawn in to your playing.

Tone choice is excellent.. you can really feel the warmth and it's ideal to inject a bit of dynamics.. if you pick softly it sounds soft, if you pick harder it's reflected in the tone.

The guys mentioned your vibrato but I don't find an issue with it at all. Why? Because it's a BB King lesson cool.gif and BB was well known for his fast, narrow vibrato - sometimes called a "bee sting" because it was quick and sharp.

However, I know what the guys were meaning... in general, a fast, narrow vibrato can sound nervous and inexperienced. But in this case, it's appropriate for the lesson and the piece.

The only thing that could improve it for me is just to get more of that loose, blues "feel" which can only come with years of playing.. so just keep doing it and doing it. It comes naturally smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
May 30 2016, 09:37 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:42 PM