Travel Destinations
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2014, 04:45 PM
Instructor
The summer is coming so it's time to plan a travel. But we have an extra... we are guitar players. biggrin.gif

I always try to take my guitar when I travel for more than 3 days, if not, I miss here a lot. Sometimes I bring my nylon guitar and some other times my electric guitar with some kind of portable multiFX or a mini Marshall. I'm planning to go to New York on December (Summer but here in Argentina) and I'm already thinking on what I will do with my guitar.. if I will bring it, if not... I would like to buy one there and it would be very uncomfortable to have 2 during the holiday, but what happens if I decide that I won't buy it.. should I stay all the vacation without a guitar?? It would be a nightmare!!! sad.gif laugh.gif

Do you have any travel plans? Which destinations would you recommend visiting and what was your best holiday so far?
Do you miss guitar when traveling like I do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
SeeJay
May 15 2014, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
When I'm on vacation, I try to be on vacation. Leave me worries behind me, which usually means I leave the guitar. I have taken a trip with friends and we bring out guitars, just in case we jam. But I would say, leave it at home. Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but NY is gonna be a bit chilly in December.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 15 2014, 05:57 PM
I will go on vacation in the middle of June.
Where I'm going, I do have a small 'travel' guitar there. I'll play it a little bit but not too much. I need to get away from guitar for a few weeks every year.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 16 2014, 01:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You can get a Squier in the US for around a $100, and they're actually not that bad. Also, from what I understand the tariffs in Argentina are very high, so you can take it back home with you and sell it for a profit. Now that I think about it, just buy a nice guitar like a PRS then take it back to Argentina and sell it biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 16 2014, 07:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2014, 03:45 PM) *
The summer is coming so it's time to plan a travel. But we have an extra... we are guitar players. biggrin.gif

I always try to take my guitar when I travel for more than 3 days, if not, I miss here a lot. Sometimes I bring my nylon guitar and some other times my electric guitar with some kind of portable multiFX or a mini Marshall. I'm planning to go to New York on December (Summer but here in Argentina) and I'm already thinking on what I will do with my guitar.. if I will bring it, if not... I would like to buy one there and it would be very uncomfortable to have 2 during the holiday, but what happens if I decide that I won't buy it.. should I stay all the vacation without a guitar?? It would be a nightmare!!! sad.gif laugh.gif

Do you have any travel plans? Which destinations would you recommend visiting and what was your best holiday so far?
Do you miss guitar when traveling like I do?

I'm curious what your gonna do. . I often vacation a lot one a year to Hawaii for 2 weeks. And another to wherever me and my girl decide to go for one week. My last trip I contemplated bringing my guitar but I would be devastated if it were damaged on the plane ride.
When I'm gone from home I think about playing.

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 16 2014, 07:32 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2014, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Well, my set trips for this year would be - Budapest (Hungary) 10-13 June to see an Alter Bridge gig and then a little European tour - Budapest - where I will see Animals as Leaders and Tesseract, then Linz and Vienna (Austria) and Munchen in Germany - to participate at Oktober Fest biggrin.gif

I LOVE traveling and I don't usually carry a guitar around because I love to travel light - mostly a backpack and that's that biggrin.gif I like to draw inspiration from my trips there and if I really need a guitar, I will most likely be able to procure one ... wherever I may roam!

+Quote Post
AdamB
May 16 2014, 02:22 PM
Went to San Francisco a couple months back for GDC, that was really good. Only there for a week, weather was great and had a good time. Was extremely tired for most of it though - had this brilliant idea to go out drinking the same night my flight got in, and having not slept on the flight, when I finally got to sleep I had been awake for around 30 hours and then had to get up early the next morning. Never quite recovered from that. I didn't take a guitar, but I visited a guitar shop. I was sat in a guitar centre having a little jam on one of their guitars, and listening to other people play - over heard some kids who were shredding away like monsters, so I put the guitar back and sulked off back to the hotel to lament my lack of talent hehe.

I'm going to somewhere in NY state in June, for the Steve Vai guitar camp.

Looking forward to that! Then going to New York City for a little over a week.

Edit: Gab, have you taken a guitar on a flight before? Was wondering whether you can take guitars on as hand luggage?

-Adam

This post has been edited by AdamB: May 16 2014, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 16 2014, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (AdamB @ May 16 2014, 06:22 AM) *
Edit: Gab, have you taken a guitar on a flight before? Was wondering whether you can take guitars on as hand luggage?

-Adam

A solidbody electric in a gigbag is almost always permissible as long as you don't plan on taking another 'full sized' carry-on. you can take a 'personal' item i.e., messenger bag or purse.

*I fly with a guitar all the time (just, not on vacation).

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 16 2014, 05:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 15 2014, 05:22 PM) *
When I'm on vacation, I try to be on vacation.

Definitely this. A holiday should be a complete change in scenery and activity.

There's so many different places I'd love to see I can't really name them all.

Best holidays so far have been Lake District, Scotland and Germany.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2014, 09:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 15 2014, 01:22 PM) *
When I'm on vacation, I try to be on vacation. Leave me worries behind me, which usually means I leave the guitar. I have taken a trip with friends and we bring out guitars, just in case we jam. But I would say, leave it at home. Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but NY is gonna be a bit chilly in December.

What do you mean by chilly? expensive? Unless things go triple, it will be still a good deal for people that lives in Argentina. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 15 2014, 09:16 PM) *
You can get a Squier in the US for around a $100, and they're actually not that bad. Also, from what I understand the tariffs in Argentina are very high, so you can take it back home with you and sell it for a profit. Now that I think about it, just buy a nice guitar like a PRS then take it back to Argentina and sell it biggrin.gif

yeah, it would be an excellent business.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 16 2014, 03:31 AM) *
I'm curious what your gonna do. . I often vacation a lot one a year to Hawaii for 2 weeks. And another to wherever me and my girl decide to go for one week. My last trip I contemplated bringing my guitar but I would be devastated if it were damaged on the plane ride.
When I'm gone from home I think about playing.

Well, we are still planning this, but the main reason of the date and place is that girlfriend's sister and her husband moved there this year, and they invited to visit them and stay at their home to be together during Christmas and New Year. The last time I traveled that far has been a long ago so I'm really exited of the opportunity. smile.gif

QUOTE (AdamB @ May 16 2014, 10:22 AM) *
Went to San Francisco a couple months back for GDC, that was really good. Only there for a week, weather was great and had a good time. Was extremely tired for most of it though - had this brilliant idea to go out drinking the same night my flight got in, and having not slept on the flight, when I finally got to sleep I had been awake for around 30 hours and then had to get up early the next morning. Never quite recovered from that. I didn't take a guitar, but I visited a guitar shop. I was sat in a guitar centre having a little jam on one of their guitars, and listening to other people play - over heard some kids who were shredding away like monsters, so I put the guitar back and sulked off back to the hotel to lament my lack of talent hehe.

I'm going to somewhere in NY state in June, for the Steve Vai guitar camp.

Looking forward to that! Then going to New York City for a little over a week.

-Adam

yeah, I bought my first Ibanez in Miami in 1999 and I bring it home by plane without any problem.

lack of talent? what's that?? There is not that thing of lack of talent, it's just necessity of practice. Build a good guitar plan and be sure that you will be able to play whatever you want.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 16 2014, 10:41 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 16 2014, 01:29 PM) *
What do you mean by chilly? expensive?

No. Chilly as in potentially freezing cold with ice, rain and snow.
http://gonyc.about.com/od/planyourtriptonyc/a/December.htm

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 16 2014, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
everyday is a vacation with this community

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2014, 01:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 16 2014, 06:41 PM) *
No. Chilly as in potentially freezing cold with ice, rain and snow.
http://gonyc.about.com/od/planyourtriptonyc/a/December.htm

ahh.. ok! so yes, I know it. I will have to start a thread where everybody suggest me how to prepare for snow. I don't have too much experience...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 17 2014, 05:47 AM
Snow is great!

I love the cold. Scarves, hats, gloves, a big coat and a thick skin. You'll be alright in NY.

have a snowball fight. Just don't hit someone in the ear, it's not nice. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 17 2014, 12:10 AM) *
ahh.. ok! so yes, I know it. I will have to start a thread where everybody suggest me how to prepare for snow. I don't have too much experience...

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 02:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 16 2014, 03:45 PM) *
A solidbody electric in a gigbag is almost always permissible as long as you don't plan on taking another 'full sized' carry-on. you can take a 'personal' item i.e., messenger bag or purse.

*I fly with a guitar all the time (just, not on vacation).

I have heard about an official announcement that stated the fact that airlines should allow musicians to carry guitars and basses in the plane, without being forced to place them below.

I had one too many adventures on this matter while flying from Romania towards various places in the world smile.gif

Have you guys encountered trouble while trying to get your instrument on board ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 10:46 AM) *
I have heard about an official announcement that stated the fact that airlines should allow musicians to carry guitars and basses in the plane, without being forced to place them below.

I had one too many adventures on this matter while flying from Romania towards various places in the world smile.gif

Have you guys encountered trouble while trying to get your instrument on board ?

no, now I remember that I travelled by plan with my acoustic guitar to Misiones, a providence at the north of Argentina, and it wasn't a problem. They even asked me to bring it with me in the plan, not with the luggage, to keep it safe.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 17 2014, 05:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 06:46 AM) *

The airlines are private companies (here in the states), they don't 'have' to do anything. It's just a suggestion by the TSA.
Rarely will you ever have a problem if you follow this advice and tactics ...

"HOW TO GET YOUR GUITAR IN THE CABIN" (of a plane)

Look like you do this all the time. Sling that gig bag over your shoulder (do not try to take it in a hard case) and make it look like you don’t even know it’s there. Never mention it at the ticket counter. If they ask at the ticket counter just say that you’ve never had an issue before and that it fits in the overheads. If they say no tell them you’ll ‘gate’ check it. Always be VERY polite and smiling.

I'm convinced it's my positive/pleasant attitude along with self-assuredness that has gotten my tele or strat into the cabin on every flight but one since about 1995 (maybe 100). The exception was a little puddle jumper from N. Carolina to Delaware where there actually wasn't any room in the cabin for any luggage at all (guitar in gig bag under the plane was fine).

I usually ask - at the gate - if I can board with the first boarding group (after kids, elderly, soldiers, disabled and 1st class) because 'I want to stow this guitar as quickly and efficiently as possible so as not to take up too much of the other passengers space and the flight attendants time'. Doesn't always work. I just say "no problem". As I walk into the plane I ask the first flight attendant I see if there's a closet (or place) where I can stow this vertically?

Let me tell you, the 'polite' thing goes a long way.
In November I was coming home from Wash D.C. on a totally packed flight. I was in the last boarding group. They were telling all the passengers boarding in line in front of me that they had no more room for any carry ons - you have to gate check your bag. I was just about ready to hand over my guitar (which I count as my one carry-on) to a stewardess when another stewardess recognizes me from my previous flight to DC, takes my guitar, hands me a mimosa (from biz class) and says, "we'll find a place for this darlin', how you doin' today?"

Be nice.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Great advice Ken!

I once flew from Bucharest to Amsterdam and the stewardesses were kind enough to offer my guitar a place in the clothing space of the pilots, where it sat vertically and basically held in place by a lot of clothes hung on supports. Best seat in the house! biggrin.gif

I totally agree that being polite and self confident will get you through almost any situations, but there were times in which this recipe didn't work unfortunately and I had to pay extra to get the guitar onboard...

+Quote Post
AdamB
May 19 2014, 11:06 AM
OK good advice!

I think I will call the airline ahead of time and see what they say about it, but hopefully it'll just be fine smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 19 2014, 03:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 17 2014, 01:37 PM) *
The airlines are private companies (here in the states), they don't 'have' to do anything. It's just a suggestion by the TSA.
Rarely will you ever have a problem if you follow this advice and tactics ...

"HOW TO GET YOUR GUITAR IN THE CABIN" (of a plane)

Look like you do this all the time. Sling that gig bag over your shoulder (do not try to take it in a hard case) and make it look like you don’t even know it’s there. Never mention it at the ticket counter. If they ask at the ticket counter just say that you’ve never had an issue before and that it fits in the overheads. If they say no tell them you’ll ‘gate’ check it. Always be VERY polite and smiling.

I'm convinced it's my positive/pleasant attitude along with self-assuredness that has gotten my tele or strat into the cabin on every flight but one since about 1995 (maybe 100). The exception was a little puddle jumper from N. Carolina to Delaware where there actually wasn't any room in the cabin for any luggage at all (guitar in gig bag under the plane was fine).

I usually ask - at the gate - if I can board with the first boarding group (after kids, elderly, soldiers, disabled and 1st class) because 'I want to stow this guitar as quickly and efficiently as possible so as not to take up too much of the other passengers space and the flight attendants time'. Doesn't always work. I just say "no problem". As I walk into the plane I ask the first flight attendant I see if there's a closet (or place) where I can stow this vertically?

Let me tell you, the 'polite' thing goes a long way.
In November I was coming home from Wash D.C. on a totally packed flight. I was in the last boarding group. They were telling all the passengers boarding in line in front of me that they had no more room for any carry ons - you have to gate check your bag. I was just about ready to hand over my guitar (which I count as my one carry-on) to a stewardess when another stewardess recognizes me from my previous flight to DC, takes my guitar, hands me a mimosa (from biz class) and says, "we'll find a place for this darlin', how you doin' today?"

Be nice.

This is a very good advice mate. I could say that this two attitudes "positive/pleasant attitude along with self-assuredness", can help us in many situations. Our life can be much easier than being in the opposite way, don't you think so?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:28 AM