Boulevard Of Broken Dreams ( Bass Cover)
Insidious
Mar 5 2014, 08:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMCers, my wife bought me this Ibanez soundgear 200 from guitar center for $100. It was a christmas present biggrin.gif Well, she has been griping at me because she only see's me playing my guitar rolleyes.gif So I learnt this song for her, and thought I would come here for feedback cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice."

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 5 2014, 10:19 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great to see you playing bass! smile.gif

That is a beautiful song, I got to see a part of Green Day show last year they rock.

My suggestions about playing : it seems that you are playing slightly ahead of the beat throughout the song. Trick to making a bass line site well in the song is to find what we call "the pocket". That pocket is usually right on top of the beat or slightly behind it. The one in front of the beat is also called "anti beat" as it is not that often used by bassist (but can be useful in some situations). Imagine having two pictures on top of each other. The top one is slightly transparent so you can see the one below (which represents the backing track). Try moving the top picture just slightly to the right. That way you are slightly "behind the beat", like you are trying to be "late" on purpose. This should be done very slightly and once you hit the pocket you'll hear your bass line sitting in the song perfectly and adding the nice groove. Second thing I notice is that notes you pluck are not always even duration and in relation to the drums. For a ballad song like this, bass and drums need to be really spot on to work well. Try isolating two finger movement and try to get the exact same sound from both fingers. Play a straight line against a metronome to isolate and work on timing and getting the note durations even. Usually one or the other finger tends to be stronger so it can throws us around in dynamics of playing and possibly timing.

I like the bass sound with a lot of bottom and punchy attack - fits a ballad like this.

Hope to see more bass covers from you smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Mar 5 2014, 10:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Very nice Insidious!
I felt like the volume on the bass could be higher, since it's a cover.

Now play this biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Very nice smile.gif I think my woman wouldn't not challenge the idea of buying me any kind of music gear. It's the same risk of failure as If I choose the shoes color and design for her tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 5 2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 10:11 AM) *
Very nice smile.gif I think my woman wouldn't not challenge the idea of buying me any kind of music gear. It's the same risk of failure as If I choose the shoes color and design for her tongue.gif

laugh.gif I couldn't've put it better myself wink.gif Wouldn't it be amazing to have a girl who pays A LOT of attention to what you are doing and saying and one day... presto! 'Honey, I thought you needed more punch in that lead tone and I got you the Bulb OD from Pro Tone Pedals!' laugh.gif

QUOTE (Insidious @ Mar 5 2014, 07:43 AM) *
Hey GMCers, my wife bought me this Ibanez soundgear 200 from guitar center for $100. It was a christmas present biggrin.gif Well, she has been griping at me because she only see's me playing my guitar rolleyes.gif So I learnt this song for her, and thought I would come here for feedback cool.gif

Very nice cover mate - use Bogdan's suggestions to take this to perfection wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 5 2014, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2014, 02:17 PM
Instructor
hahaha it's a cool situation to see your girlfriend buying and instrument and then motivating you to play it. biggrin.gif If this is the first thing you played on bass I can say that you did a very nice job. Bogdan gave good feedback about timing and the connection between drums and bass that it's fundamental to get a solid track.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 5 2014, 03:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
Very nice cover smile.gif I will wait to see another video from you smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 5 2014, 12:17 PM) *
laugh.gif I couldn't've put it better myself wink.gif Wouldn't it be amazing to have a girl who pays A LOT of attention to what you are doing and saying and one day... presto! 'Honey, I thought you needed more punch in that lead tone and I got you the Bulb OD from Pro Tone Pedals!' laugh.gif

Hahaha.......you guys always complains laugh.gif The same situation is if you look from my side tongue.gif When you will find a similar guy as girl from your story, please tell me biggrin.gif I must see, if this zeus it's real laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Mar 5 2014, 03:43 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:40 AM