9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
The Nightwitch Broom Collab, Students and Instructors collaboration
Darius Wave
Mar 1 2016, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Wellcome to the....

NightWitch Broom collab

Here's a preview of the backing track:

Collab is inspired by Nightwish songs as requested in one of collaboration topic. There was also a request for the collab to be epic....well...I hope the backing track is epic enough to influence You to play some really epic solos smile.gif

Let's simply point out all the stuff so everyone can clearly understand what's happening smile.gif :

1. This is a video collaboration but if you don't have the ability to record a video, you can still access the collaboration. Simply send me some cool pics of you and your guitar that I could later use in the final video

2. Deadline is extended to 15th April (from 1st of April that was the first deadline)). That's the final day you can deliver complete pack of your files:
- video of you playing your take
- audio of your solo mixed with the backing track (name it "yournickname_guitar_mix")
- audio of your guitar without the backing track (name it "yournickname_guitar_only")

3. How to prepare audio files.
Preparing your audio files the way I recommend (compatible with session for further all takes mixdown) will help me to get you solos in
perfect sync with the backing track and will shorten the time I'll need to make the final mix. Follow steps below:

- open your DAW (Reaper, Cubase, Audacity, Ableton or whatever you use)
- create new project
- set project tempo to 127 bpm (that's the backing track tempo)
- import the backing track to a stereo track (do not edit it's lenght)
- move it to point 0 (zero) on the timeline (absolute beginning of the timeline/bars line
- now when you turn on your DAW's metronome, you should have exactly 2 bars (8 clicks) before the backing count in starts (hi-hat).
At this point the backing track should be in perfect sync with your project/session and it's left and righ edges shoul be perfectly matched
with the bar lines of 127 bpm tempo
- add another track to record your guitar solo. Here's a lot of options so I leave it to you (record through a miced amp, plug-in simulations
or whatever you normally use for this purpose)
- once your solo is ready, select the exact range of backing track image (mixdown range). Use "snap" option to make sure it will force the
start/end markers to match the bar lines
- now export audio mixdown of both - solo and backing track. Call it "yournickname_guitar_mix". Please export the file as 44.1kHz 16 bit
wave or mp3 file
. It has critical meaning for me, when importing to final mix session. Your mixdown should be exactly the same length
as the backing track I delivered
- press SOLO button on your guitar solo track and repeat mixdown process. This time call it "yournickname_guitar_only". Keep same
mixdown settings as above.

For video files please at least set the audio to 44.1kHz. I prefer MainConcept AVC or Sony AVC files but there is no must on this.

Don't worry if you are not able to prepare files the way I described. You can still participate and I'll simply spend some more time
trying to match your files to the final mixdown.

4. Backing track can be downloaded here: Attached File  nightwith_backing.mp3 ( 2.19MB ) Number of downloads: 342
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/KEPa4cwB/file.html
- tempo: 127 bpm
- key: D-minor or D-dorian (go to "scales" point for more feedback)

Here is additional, 3 minutes long backing track for practicse purpose: Attached File  nightwitch_backing_long.mp3 ( 5.88MB ) Number of downloads: 338

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/UO8muvp1/file.htmll

5. Post your take for preview. You can count on instructors feedback and you can make as many versions/tweaks as the time till
deadline will allow you to. You don't need to send all files everytime you want to post a take for preview. Do it once you're sure it's a final
take of yours

6. Final mix limitations. Of course it is not possible to include all solos at their full length and keep reasonable final mix length at the
same time. That's why we (instructors) cut parts or make duels to create best impression for all listeners. at the same time we allow to use
full length backing track to post your full take on your youtube channel or other social media platforms. Both - members and guest of the
forum will have access to this thread, so they can listen to their favorite take at the full length.

7. Scales and chord progression. As I found in a few Nightwish songs, same in the collab we have a key of D-minor.
There is one tricky thing though. Guitars play powerchords with no 3rds and I've purposely avoided one chord's 3rd setp to leave a
backdoor for using additional scale - D dorian

Chord progression is: 4/4 Dm | F | C | G5 |

At G5 bar we can consider both - G-minor from a regular D aeolian minor scale or...G-major from a D-dorian scale. Even it the name of
dorian scale may sounds scary for some beginners, in fact those are exactly the same notes as C-major or relative A-aeolian minor scale.
So playing over "white keys only" (notes with no # or b marks) will do the job. You can also try to match some A minor pentatonic licks
over this backign track.

As an opposite, if you want to keep playing over D aeolian minor, you need to replace every B on the fretboar with Bb note. That's all the
differs.

8. Additional questions. Simply ask in that thread and they'll be answered smile.gif

-----------------
FINAL RESULT:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Apr 27 2016, 01:00 PM
Reason for edit: uploaded backings to this thread
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 1 2016, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
GRREEEATTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 1 2016, 07:18 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Amazing!!! My first collab ever! Can't wait!

Can I also play some rhythm parts with harmony to the backing track or should it be only solo?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 1 2016, 07:36 PM
Instructor
You can try but as it goes for any additional track other than solo, I can't promise anything. It depends on how they will fit or not in the final mix smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2016, 09:43 PM
GMC Founder
Sounding awesome, I'm IN!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 1 2016, 11:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 1 2016, 09:43 PM) *
Sounding awesome, I'm IN!! biggrin.gif

I think you need a challenge, you guitar God! Play your guitar left handed! laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Mar 2 2016, 04:19 AM
GMC:er
Working on some ideas. Not sure it really is in the vein of Nightwish. My first video later. Got guests in the house unexpectedly this evening until end of the week. Comments please. The timing is not spot on yet here and there.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/broomtest1

+Quote Post
ChrisGLP
Mar 2 2016, 07:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Darius, absolutely awesome awesome awesome epic backing!!!! ohmy.gif smile.gif Thx so much!! smile.gif

In!!

To point 8. Additional questions:
I am a little bit sad that this epic backing is only 1:11 long. Is it possible to copy a part of the backing (2nd verse?) that the backing is e.g. 2 minutes long? Only a suggestion... cool.gif

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 2 2016, 07:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Chris is right.
A longest BT is needed...
3 minutes seem good to let the ideas and inspiration come

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 2 2016, 08:08 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 1 2016, 11:45 PM) *
I think you need a challenge, you guitar God! Play your guitar left handed! laugh.gif

hehe well because of my mortality, I have a constant challenge in coming up with new stuff. It is very easy to get repetitive. Thanks!!

Can't wait to get recording!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 2 2016, 09:01 AM
Learning Roadie

Too much easy for him Ben

kris: play without any hand !!!! laugh.gif

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 2 2016, 11:08 AM
Instructor
No problem guys. Longer backing track link added in the main post, "Backing Track" section. You can now search for you inspiration wink.gif But please focus over 1 minute length for your final solo. This way we can focus on doing as much tweaking as possible before the deadline and make shorter but more impressive solos smile.gif))

GeneT95:

Really nice man! It's already acceptable for the collaboration but if you have some more time, you can put yourself in listeners shoes and try to spot where you could add some more or tweak things like timming smile.gif You could for example rethink if the note C# from harmonic minor scale does fit well to the main concept of your solo. It's at 0:16 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Mar 2 2016, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 2 2016, 11:26 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Darius !!

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 2 2016, 11:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm also in!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 2 2016, 01:11 PM
I'm in!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Mar 2 2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks Darius.

I don't hear the C#. There is one at around :08 and and F# later in a passing chromatic down from GtoF. I think at :16 I slide up from Bb to C, but perhaps my articulation slurs the note some. Or my wrist puts pressure on the Trem pushing it sharp. I didn't consistently get the chromatic lines in so I'll probably try to get them more consistent and then do one with and one without to hear how it sounds. And, I like the early sliding sound with less pick attack in the other section instead of later where I hit the string more often. I'll probably try a more fluid less pick slide throughout that section or see if the pick attacks on other beats sounds better.

Heck. I've some time to fiddle with it. Maybe then try something else in a completely different vein. huh.gif

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Mar 2 2016, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 2 2016, 01:30 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 1 2016, 06:36 PM) *
You can try but as it goes for any additional track other than solo, I can't promise anything. It depends on how they will fit or not in the final mix smile.gif

Nice! It's gonna be epic!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2016, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Wou!! The backing is KILLER Darius!! Well done! I'm definitely IN! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 2 2016, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Mar 2 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Thanks Darius.

I don't hear the C#. There is one at around :08 and and F# later in a passing chromatic down from GtoF. I think at :16 I slide up from Bb to C, but perhaps my articulation slurs the note some. Or my wrist puts pressure on the Trem pushing it sharp. I didn't consistently get the chromatic lines in so I'll probably try to get them more consistent and then do one with and one without to hear how it sounds. And, I like the early sliding sound with less pick attack in the other section instead of later where I hit the string more often. I'll probably try a more fluid less pick slide throughout that section or see if the pick attacks on other beats sounds better.

Heck. I've some time to fiddle with it. Maybe then try something else in a completely different vein. huh.gif

The is a C# note for sure, right before E and F at. Check the audio file attached. There is slowdowned version included and a C# to E piece separated

Attached File  c_sample.mp3 ( 207.35K ) Number of downloads: 177

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2016, 02:12 PM) *
Wou!! The backing is KILLER Darius!! Well done! I'm definitely IN! biggrin.gif

Thx Gab! Can't wait to hear your take wink.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 2 2016, 01:11 PM) *
I'm in!!
biggrin.gif

Well...I haven't even imagined to NOT HAVE YOU IN THE COLLAB Neil! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 1 2016, 11:45 PM) *

or reversed to stringless side biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Mar 2 2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks Darius. That's what I thought.

Yeah that's a string bend slur or more likely I put pressure on my floating trem. Not intentional. I don't think I'm fretting a C# at the 14th fret. Just sloppy.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:55 AM