> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 30 2016, 05:07 PM
GMC:er
Hi Gab, do you happen to have Guitar Pro 6? Or only 5.
Would like your opinion on something i am composing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2016, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hi! I have Guitar Pro 5!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 2 2016, 02:53 PM
Still need to create a bass line, add some subtle ambient things. And some druming.
You might wanna turn off the drums on the tracks, the current ones are just rough guide line sketches.

It is still a work in progress tongue.gif I think i might extend the idea around 56 bar, before the harmonic minor run.

Edit: Since we are at it, here's a demo of the main idea of a post-rock song i've been working on aswell.

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/sky-quakes-demo-1idea

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 2 2016, 09:22 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tap_Water.gp5 ( 36.52K ) Number of downloads: 201

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Wou mate!! That's really interesting! I can't wait to hear the version with real guitars of that beautiful guitar pro track. And the post rock song is even more beautiful!! I think that I'll be a fan of your music. You definitely need to continue working on this songs and start your music journey using social networks!

About the guitar pro track, it's really curious but I hear some vibes from one of my favorite Argentinian composers, and one of the most important ever. His name is Astor Piazzolla, and you should check his music.

These are his most popular pieces:

and this album is also highly recommendable:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 16 2016, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I will add Astor's work for my "daily walk". Usually do walks with my dog around town while listeing to new music.

Sorry about the low activity. But these past 2 week, I have had pretty much 0 motivation to do anything useful and been in bed with a cold.
Its always raining, I hate this weather.

I'will post some guitar updates when I return from the land of the dead tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 16 2016, 02:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2016, 07:10 PM
Instructor
hahah the land of the dead. Yeah, I don't like extreme weathers. Why can't we have always spring? biggrin.gif

I hope that you find some motivation soon mate. Also, enjoy Astor Piazzolla!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 1 2017, 07:36 PM
Hi Gab! Hope 2017 fares you well!

Big post inc.

Man, just when I thought I could composed something decent Astor Piazzolla, comes along and puts me back in my baby crib. laugh.gif
There's some pretty intense moments. I think I'll probably need another 1000 listens, to fully graps all the stuff that's going on.

I've been listening to a lot of orchestral scores and similar music. Its something i really have a desire of learning abit about, especially since i've seen some livestreams of Misha (dude from Periphery) messing with orchestral libraries and what not, but alas. Its not in my priority list atm.

Since we are talking about, composer and composing. I hope you don't mind if i ramble a bit about my inspirations tongue.gif

I've always listen to a lot of stuff but my main "inspirations" usually come from opposite sides of the spectrum.
i am a huge fan of death/black metal stuff. Especially stuff who strays from the root/trational genre and add a lot of details from others.
For instanse i totally love stuff like this and this

I am a guitar player, guitar is my main instrument and I like guitar non-sense as much as the other guy. And i will probably add some noddle shreds to by song, when I am able. But I hate the idea of solo guitar being the driven force of a music piece.

It's really hard for me explain this idea. Because i kinda contradict my self all the time. laugh.gif

Like I love this, but this does nothing to me.

As you might have guessed, Post-Rock music is a big factor in music.
And one of my biggest influences are actually two dudes from Japan, Kashiwa Daisuke and Katsuhiko Maeda. Especially Katushiko Meada and his project (World's end girlfriend)
As i've staded before, i love when people mix genres. and this was he does. A mix of Post-Rock/Classic/Electronic etc, etc.

This stuff for me it's the epitome of awesomeness, Wish i could compose something as cool.

As i said i love the pretty music aswell as the brvtal kvlt mvsik tongue.gif

So ye, I back to my feet! with guitar!

I've been working on a song. I got the inspiration from diablo 2, where you are on this grey'ish wasteland, full of hostility.
I really enjoy doing background ambient music.
I tried to use the Zelda approach, that being 4 chords through the song (Gerudo Valley Theme), Still working on it though, here just a quick midi demo.

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/they-saw-swamps-midi-demo

been also working on my guitar chops once again.
I decided to take a variation of the 100 days sweep challenge, but do 100 days (2 hours/day) legato challenge tongue.gif.
After analyzing my playing, I have come to the conclusion that after spending so much time focusing on my picking hand, my left hand fell behind.
For real after the first practise session today, my overall playing felt much more at ease!

Here's a bit of day 0 (80bpms)

I also been woking on some of Diego's lesson, espcially the Hendrix one, but that i will post when i have something decent!

Anyways, sorry for the long wall of text and thank you for your time. happy.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 1 2017, 09:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2017, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,I've really enjoyed your post. It's very inspirational and includes some nice music that I've never heard.

I can get what you say because it's what always happened to me. I can go from Jazz to Death Metal, and then go for some mainstream pop, to end the day with Explosions in the sky, haha.

I think that this is an advantage, not a problem, having an open mind is what makes us more creative and expands our mind and off course creations / compositions.

I'm sure that you even hear to more varied styles and bands, but I assume that this ones are the ones that touch you more. The good news are that I think that there is a strong connection among all those links that you shared. I think that those Death/Black Metal bands connect with Post Rock, and that "World's end girlfriend" combines everything! At the same time, all those modern players like Plini, Chon or Polyphia are related to post rock, orquestral so I can say that they are also related to World's and also to Fleshgod.

This means that I can see clearly how you can find your niche and own style easily, by making music that you enjoy listening without thinking too much in the exact genre. That's what the guy from World's end girlfriend does, and I think that's why you like it a lot.

So what I would do in your place is composing the more you can and group the ideas. You can create folders based on the "feel" of the ideas, or maybe the tempo / tonalities, to then get back to then, and combine them when it's possible. Don't limit yourself, record and produce everything that comes to mind. Then, after some months of production, you can select the cooler stuff and work on it (record, mix, mastering, production).

At the same time, some song analysis is always welcome. Analyse the chord progressions, the song structures, and how the songs are arranged and you'll get more concepts and ideas for your own music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 2 2017, 10:26 PM
I am a firm believer there is good music in every gerne.
But I wasn't always like this.
There was a time when I used to be one of those folks who post stuff like, IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION! laugh.gif It seems so silly looking back.
I remember back in 2011 hearing Periphery for the first time, and actually enjoying. But my brain would tell me! No! the singer, sings just like those in "false metal bands". So i followed my brain, and didn't listen. (Funny enough, he's one of my favorite vocalists rigth now)

It was such a brainwashed, childish mind set. rolleyes.gif

Anyways, record, mix, mastering, production.
I want to get better at this, but I dunno where to start! Everytime I try, i just get this kind of overwhelmed feel.
I am running a Poor's man setup atm.

-Guitar
-Digital Piano Fame Dp-680. It has a lot of sound banks (500 and some)
-A simple m-audio fast track (which i can plug, guitar or piano)
-Reaper as Daw
-Guitar Rig 5.2 for guitar tones.
-Superior Drummer 2, Got it from a friend, but have yet to go around and mess with it and config it into the DAW.

I have no problem, recording, but I have 0 knowledge of mixing, mastering and what not. I do not hope to get super high end quality, just enough to show it to my friends, or put it online without sounding like complety poop. tongue.gif

Do you have any advice where to start? Because this is really day 1, complety new ground to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2017, 06:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Great post!

I can guide you with recording, mixing and mastering. I would take two direction.

The first one would be learn the basics behind sound, audio, acoustics, and once you know the basics, you can get into the concepts used in mixing, like EQ, Compressors, Processes, Effects, etc. The more you know the basics, the better you'll be because you'll know what's happening in what you hear, and you'll know what you need to use in order to get what you are looking for. For this, I recommend using any well organised Sound and Recording book, and complement the info with Youtube or something else. You can make all the questions here too.

This one is recommended: https://mikethevideoguy.files.wordpress.com...cal-2010-ww.pdf

The second direction that can be started just a bit after you start to feel familiar with the basic concepts would be to do some Mixing courses (there are a lot free ones at Youtube), and also read articles from sites like this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 3 2017, 11:20 PM
Thanks a lot! biggrin.gif for real!

I will update, whenever I have new stuff!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2017, 01:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 3 2017, 07:20 PM) *
Thanks a lot! biggrin.gif for real!

I will update, whenever I have new stuff!

wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 6 2017, 06:29 AM
Yo Gab!
Remember me telling you that I am going take the audition for a Music School this summer? Well its in seven months. And I am already feeling the knot in my stomach, wacko.gif

I have yet to think about the two songs that I am going to take, but from what I have gather they are Jazzy oriented school.
Which means, self-indulgent long ass jams everynow and then; Which I hate. laugh.gif

Regardless, i am thinking on getting my improvisation proficiency a bit better. So would you mind if i post improv of random backing tracks?
Like once a week or so.

I am thinking on doing a Raw take after listening to the backing tracks. And then a constructed take, after analysing the backing tracks. (Kinda working both Ear and Theory)

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 6 2017, 09:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2017, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that sounds good! I think that it's a good plan to start. I recommend you to work on jazzy oriented backings, maybe you could start with some "neo soul" and "funk fusion" vamps.

I'll wait for your vids!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 22 2017, 01:22 AM
Hi Gab.

So yeh, i suck at it. tongue.gif
My brain kinda stops working and I completely lose sense of the chords movements on the background and of myself.
And then I get really sad and kinda tongue.gif.

Anyways I decided to try it anyways, with a simple Soul/Blues G Major backing track.
I just listened to with once and clicked record, completely oblivious of the chords.

Its pretty raw and amaturish. There is a quite a few mistakes. And nothing really that interesting. I just have 0 control over it tongue.gif

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/303893923&amp;color=ff5500&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false"></iframe>

Ops copied the wrong link.
https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/blues-soulish-jam-in-g-major-guitar-practise

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 22 2017, 01:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 22 2017, 03:39 AM
ps: the guitar might be slighty out of tune. I recorded that after a whole day of practise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2017, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, how is your approach to this solo? are you thinking on 1 scale? are you trying to follow chords?

The first thing that I would try over this one is to follow the chords with their thirds. Once you can do it all along the fretboard, you can do the same with fifths and roots. However you'll note that thirds sound great over the chords, so you can slowly connect these notes with notes from the scale.

Another thing that your phrasing is lacking is rhythm variations and silence. Experiment with this and listen to some great players to get inspiration.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 22 2017, 09:44 PM
I know the Major Scale, in several "boxes" through the neck, which I used for guiding. But I kinda ignore the chords...no going to lie.
I often kind try to make a little melody and go from there. I just not very experience.
I will follow your advices and try to rec another one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2017, 03:46 AM
Instructor
Good. Start following the chords with thirds and tell me what happens.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 4 2017, 08:18 AM
Hi Gab!

Just to tell you that I am going to disappear for a while.
I got this job going and gonna try and save up some monies for the music school. Still gotto see if I sneak 2-3h days for guitar practise.
But dunno my full schedule yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:54 PM