Intermediate-Advanced [ 19 ] ** [16.38%]
Advanced [ 6 ] ** [5.17%]
Total Votes: 116
Guests cannot vote 
FrankW
Nov 14 2008, 03:40 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Nov 14 2008, 03:12 AM) *
this all depends on what advanced is. truly advanced at guitar would mean that you are advanced in all main styles of music. Eddie Van Halen is probably not advanced, I don't think he's mastered soul, death metal, or neo-classical. Same goes for Angus Young, Jimmy Page, etc. So there might not even be a truly advanced player in the world. But in shredding, some like Muris and Emir are advanced, and in blues Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn are advanced.

There are many levels of even advanced players. A true guitar master would be one who is advanced in all guitar styles, and there may even be one or two of those guys around, but I seriously doubt it. The closest you'll come to that is a first call studio guitarist who must play any number of styles convincingly.

But to master even one particular style can take a lifetime. The thing is, a players' player will tell you that he has lots more to learn. Allan Holdsworth is constantly critiquing his playing, as is Eric Johnson. These guys will never tell you they have mastered the guitar. But are they advanced? They're beyond advanced!

Eddie Van Halen was not only advanced, he was groundbreaking. Can he play like Yngwie? No. Can Yngwie play like him? No. Everyone has their own individual style, advanced or not.

There is a difference between being an advanced player and being a guitar master.

There are plenty of advanced players here at GMC, and Muris, Emir, Zsolt, and Marcus are but a few. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 14 2008, 03:41 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 04:06 AM) *
I don't see a forum poll smile.gif I would click intermediate with some advanced touches

If thats true Im an absolute beginner.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 14 2008, 04:08 AM
Instructor
Yes I have advanced technique. But advanced player is not only that. I can technicaly play almost anything with some practice. I also have a very good theory knowledge. But I will consider myself as an advanced player when I master high standard jazz concept. I am slowly getting into that stuff. When I manage to mix that style and technique I have then I can say "that's it". The good example is Frank Gambale. There is nothing strange for him on the gutar. He rules the instrument. In my case I can still see that the instrument can be my boss which is not always a pleasant feeling. This is just the way I see things.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 14 2008, 04:17 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 14 2008, 04:08 AM) *
Yes I have advanced technique. But advanced player is not only that. I can technicaly play almost anything with some practice. I also have a very good theory knowledge. But I will consider myself as an advanced player when I master high standard jazz concept. I am slowly getting into that stuff. When I manage to mix that style and technique I have then I can say "that's it". The good example is Frank Gambale. There is nothing strange for him on the gutar. He rules the instrument. In my case I can still see that the instrument can be my boss which is not always a pleasant feeling. This is just the way I see things.

I understand what you're saying, Emir. As I've said before, I consider the jazz/rock fusion players to be state of the art. I'm talking about Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, Guthrie Govan, John Scofield, Mike Stern...fusion players.

You've got to have a really advanced harmonic concept of music to play like that. These guys sound like saxophone players at times. They are playing outside with speed and accuracy. I will consider myself there when I can play like that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jdriver
Nov 14 2008, 04:29 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 02:06 AM) *
I don't see a forum poll smile.gif I would click intermediate with some advanced touches

If you are intermediate, then I am still a beginner since 2 previous reincarnations.

I've seen a video of you and Muris on Youtube that proves you've both sold your souls to the devil. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Nov 13 2008, 04:04 AM) *
I excepted that Emir or one of the other master guitarists from GMC will not vote advanced, because it always works as this: "the more You know how to play, the more You know how much there is still to learn".. Years ago if I would see some of the lessons I learned already I would think "wow if I would play that kind of stuff one day, I would truly rock". Now I see other, more advanced lessons and think the same thing huh.gif

That is so very true. When I began this journey to playing, I always thought "if I could play like that guy (favorite player here), I would feel god-like in my ability." After I actually started learning something, I understood completely, that even if I could play like Emir, Muris, or any of our other greats, I would never be able to forget the years of hard practice, and how much was yet to be learned. That will always keep us humble about our own abilities.

That being said, I vote myself beginner-intermediate, because I don't yet play many "riffs", I do know very well both diatonic and pentatonic scales and modes, and can "play along" with anything I hear. I guess that's more like an intermediate beginner. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by jdriver: Nov 14 2008, 04:33 AM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 14 2008, 04:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 10:08 PM) *

The thing with this kind of questions is that is totally relative to the person who is answering it. There is not and absolute truth about it , in your case , the way I see it I think you are an advanced player, I would like to play like you, and maybe the day I will be able to play like you I will think the exact way you are thinking today, that Im an intermediate player. So as Einstein said: "Everything is relative , it all dependes on the point of view of the observer".

In any case Im a beginner(one of these days I'll be an intermediate/advanced player as you) and you rock!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 14 2008, 05:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Nov 14 2008, 03:36 AM) *
The thing with this kind of questions is that is totally relative to the person who is answering it. There is not and absolute truth about it , in your case , the way I see it I think you are an advanced player, I would like to play like you, and maybe the day I will be able to play like you I will think the exact way you are thinking today, that Im an intermediate player. So as Einstein said: "Everything is relative , it all dependes on the point of view of the observer".

In any case Im a beginner(one of these days I'll be an intermediate/advanced player as you) and you rock!

I agree 100%. I am sure you wouldn't think much different if you get to the point where I am now.

Everything is relative , it all dependes on the point of view of the observer.
this is a very cool one. The experiment with 2 trains, light and the mirror smile.gif

edit: sorry it was 1 train smile.gif

p.s. I can see we have 4 advanced players in the poll. We're actually not doing bad here smile.gif

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Nov 14 2008, 05:33 AM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Nov 14 2008, 07:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Wow, it's amazing how these threads develop. I was only thinking of these categories in the context of the GMC community, and based on the levels of GMC lessons you could play. I wasn't considering theory knowledge, comparisons with famous guitarists or the theory of relativity. It just shows how specific you have to be when conducting a poll.

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Nov 14 2008, 08:56 AM
I would say Intermediate...

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 14 2008, 09:39 AM
I think being advanced in Jazz rock/fusion/blues/country/neoclassical would be a goal many guitarists aspire too:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 14 2008, 10:03 AM
I understand and admire how people are being humble in this thread. smile.gif

But, I still think it is much more accurate to look on what you accomplished so far than the way you still have to go. There will always be some incredible guys to look at and realize there is still a long path to go.
Example in other area: Anyone who got a M. Sc or PhD degree knows that the more you study the more clear it becomes the amount of things you don't know. There will always be the authority on your field of study or the nobel prize winner when you look forward. But if you go for statistics, 1% of US population has a PhD and much less in other countries. So how can one not say someone who has a PhD is advanced in studies?

Coming back to guitar, someone who is within the 1% of population of guitar players in the world in terms of technique, theory knowledge, etc, is definitely advanced. Then just remember of the huge amount of people who plays just a couple of songs in guitar, and one can see that according to this criteria we have much more advanced players here at GMC than this poll tells us wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Nov 14 2008, 10:20 AM
What makes one an advanced guitar player?

I think the only aspect of measuring that is by having a huge theory quiz and an aural test. The rest is pure subjectivity. I mean, sometimes people even think that guy from Green Day is a 'great' guitarist... which I really doubt. That guy from Fall Out Boy, idolized, but really sloppy playing. Yngwie Malmsteen, people around here couldn't care less if he played 1000 notes per second, while everyone on here would almost immediately offer themselves to be his loyal servants (which he wouldn't mind judging from his attitude in his vids, I think tongue.gif).

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Nov 14 2008, 10:21 AM

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 14 2008, 06:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 10:06 AM) *

NAaah.. you're advance for sure tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 07:15 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 10:06 AM) *

pfft!!!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 07:59 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 14 2008, 04:08 AM) *

Completely agree!

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Nov 15 2008, 08:10 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 13 2008, 10:34 AM) *
hehe, I voted Intermediate-Advanced. I see nobody clicked advanced yet.

The thing is how I see an advanced player. For me it's not only a technical issue. As long as I find some players almost "untouchable", I would consider myself intermediate. Those don't have to be a famous stars. I think I still have to learn a lot.

Completely agree with you ! I think the day, we think we're advanced it means we have nothing left to learn. And it's better to say that you're intermediate (and if you're advanced people will notice it when you play)

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Raph
Nov 15 2008, 08:22 PM
An advanced player doesn't just mean he can play 1000 per millisecond. An advanced player is someone who has mastered all parts of his instrument. Take Yngwie for example. Just because he can play really fast doesn't mean he's an advanced guitarist. It's the fact that he transcribed Pagiani pieces for the guitar or the fact that he would know and F#b5M713 arpeggio across the fretboard. An advanced guitarist in my opinion is someone who has mastered every aspect if his instrument and not just the impressive stuff.

--------------------
Yesterday my fastest speed was 300 bpm - on a whole note exercise.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Raph @ Nov 15 2008, 08:22 PM) *
An advanced player doesn't just mean he can play 1000 per millisecond. An advanced player is someone who has mastered all parts of his instrument. Take Yngwie for example. Just because he can play really fast doesn't mean he's an advanced guitarist. It's the fact that he transcribed Pagiani pieces for the guitar or the fact that he would know and F#b5M713 arpeggio across the fretboard. An advanced guitarist in my opinion is someone who has mastered every aspect if his instrument and not just the impressive stuff.

I believe we have different aspects of being advanced. Yngwie has a great ear, great technique. Not a great creativity though, but sometimes. Generally speaking, we can say he is really advanced.

However, I get what you mean.

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Nov 15 2008, 08:50 PM
I guess an advanced player is a better judge when it comes to the level of his playing. He knows better what the overall limits are and what are possible goals he will reach or not. Like Emir said it's all relative and depends on your own experience but the more you learn and interact with other musicians the easier it is to determine your level relative to other players. And as it was stated a couple of times already you can be good in one thing but pretty behind in other things but you learn more about yourself through interaction with other players. Thats why GMC is so valuable on many levels. It allows beginners and advanced players alike to interact, reference and explore new territory. An example:
I just uploaded something for the bossa colab and then listened back to it to determine the level of playing I'm at. I thought ok harmony and scale use are on an beginner intermediate level, technique somewhere in the same area. But then again if I compare it to Emirs playing it's all beginner level and when I compare it to other beginners it might be more intermediate. So you have to consider all the players you know and compare yourself and then determine an average laugh.gif . Mmmm stupid stuff I say there. But anyway taking GMC as an reference for all levels I put myself in the beginner intermediate category

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Nov 15 2008, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 15 2008, 09:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I didn´t read every post in this topic. I voted Intermediate-Advanced. Why? I thouht: "Which level of lessons are you able to play, Tolek?" Answer: From 1 up to 7 or 8. Sometimes even 9, but not perfect.
If comparing myself to the whole guitar world, I´d say I am a beginner-intermediate player. I can play a lot of Vai stuff because I´ve been practising that style for few years now. More technical/fast stuff like Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen is very hard to play for me. If I practise it slowly and very long, I can play it a bit only...

What about a new topic where we can vote comparing us to GMC lessons?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:04 PM