2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Yep, Google Is Taking Over The World
Canis
Jul 9 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Check this link out.

It was just a matter of time, and now Google is coming out with their own Operating System tongue.gif
It's gonna be based on Linux, which means it will be free and Open Source all the way.

I'm not that into the whole OS/coding war, so will this be a good or bad thing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 9 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
at the moment it is aimed for netbooks. it will take some time till it can compete with microsoft on desktop pcs.
Some rivalry in the OS buisness is always good for the customer, but when it comes to privacy issues I neither trust microsoft nor google.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jul 9 2009, 08:21 PM
Instructor
Cool, but it seems more like a OS for notebooks and not so much for desktops and it's more functional to use the web and not other programs...but it has many cool new features smile.gif

THanx for posting it! wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 9 2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor
This is great news that someone else makes a move and gets into a battle with horrible Microsoft. And I agree with Skalde that when it comes to privacy issues I don't trust anyone.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 9 2009, 09:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Am I the only one who think Windows and MS rocks? smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 9 2009, 09:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Fighting Windows will be hard, every, every, everyone has it! All games, all programs, all compatible!

MickeM: yep wink.gif naah, I like MS, but only because I don't know anything else. ATM I'm using my dad's apple, but I don't like the fact that it's not compatible with about everything.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2009, 12:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 9 2009, 10:43 PM) *
Am I the only one who think Windows and MS rocks? smile.gif

After checking out some Linux distributions and Mac OS couple of times I think Windows is the lousiest of them all definitely...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jul 10 2009, 01:07 AM
GMC:er
I like Windows, but for all the wrong reasons.

I grew up with it, and I am comfortable with it. I know alot of back doors in windows, and how to get things to work when they are broken (maybe this doesn't happen on other OS's, or maybe the solutions are staring you in the face)

either way, when I use a MAC I feel lost, because I don't know how to do basic tasks...

yes I know, I should put in the time to learn how macs work...

oh well tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Rolls
Jul 10 2009, 01:19 AM
Well M$ has its place...which happens to be businesses. Linux and Apple (both are pretty much based on Unix) are way more secure than M$ is out of the box. Linx/MAC are becoming more compatible with software and you can even install M$ applications in Linux or MAC (Using software like wine / Crossover). I happen to be on a M$ box now but at home I use nothing but *nix. There are a lot of opensource applications for musicians now too. In fact you can run an entire recording studio from free opensource software. biggrin.gif:D

Check this out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8yrOAjfKM

I love the last line....Ubuntu? I'm going to learn Ubuntu???

+Quote Post
Mygas
Jul 10 2009, 04:11 PM
While I've hated M$ for a long time...I gotta say I appreciate them because their lack of ability to release a break-free OS has helped me keep a job as IT Support.

That and Windows 7 has fixed many issues and is the best OS I've used for multitasking on one screen. It's troubleshooter actually troubleshoots now too.

Google's "cloud computing" makes all that obsolete though...

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Jul 10 2009, 04:35 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Wow, google is everywhere now !! although it's great to have some competition against microsoft wich is becoming really hungry of money !!

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 10 2009, 09:28 PM
It's only a matter of time before Mozilla makes an OS of there own.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 10 2009, 09:55 PM
My favorite 20th century technology/cultural critic (now dead), Neil Postman, cited 6 points to consider with new technology.

1) What problem does this solve?
2) Whose problem is it?
3) What new problems does the new technology create?
4) Who is hurt by the new technology?
5) How is language changed due to the new technology, and what is lost?
6) Who gains power and influence due to the new technology?

answers:

1) None, there is no problem.
2) Nobody's
3) Same problem they had when train track widths were not standardized, and the one I have when I pay $100 for some silly car part that is generic, but made a bit different than anyone else, so they can charge you $100 rather than $10, and we can have inefficiencies due to having to stock a zillion different varieties of some generic part.
4) The pubic, unless you think living in an even more extreme play time fantasy world of make believe is a full fulling life style.
5) Not sure. This one is subtle, but important. When words change meaning, it affects cultures.
6) Google and the politicians they pay off in some fashion with Google money.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2009, 10:46 AM
Instructor
I think you are right about some things fkalichm, but everybody deserves a chance to show what kind of new technology they have. It's better to have a choice then not to have a choice at all. If I can choose from two evils, I can choose evil that is less bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jul 11 2009, 12:27 PM
If I can choose from two evils, I can choose evil that is less bad.

If I'm going to choose evil, I want the most evilest I can get! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 11 2009, 01:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I'm looking forward to this new OS, little competition to Windows is never a bad thing...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2009, 01:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jul 11 2009, 01:27 PM) *
If I'm going to choose evil, I want the most evilest I can get! biggrin.gif

And that is? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 13 2009, 01:04 PM
Instructor
I thought that they already took over biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Nadir
Aug 13 2009, 01:14 PM
Learning Roadie
I posted this earlier on another thread, but maybe it is more appropriate here:

http://wave.google.com/

I was amazed with this. The fact that all of this is on web and running in browser make us to think that in few years most users will have only OS (Googles for example) and browser on computer and it will be enough for all they need.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 13 2009, 07:34 PM
Instructor
So far M$ have been a pain down there for more than 10 years for me. For office work people would be ok with windows 95 to do the ussal M$ office task. Howvere we are pbliged to get the "new" version which is very heavy in order to get compatibility with the other people who also arent interested in the new "features". IE has been the most obsolete browser of historym very very far from Opera or Mozilla and still more than 80% of the people keep using it.
Hate hotmail it gets full of spam so fast and got the get throught a whole page of publicitary stuff. Windows live sure takes a lot to inicialize to be a simple chat client... so I think that M$ should get some really seriuos competition.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:08 AM