Guitar Tuning Nightmares
SeeJay
May 13 2014, 06:27 PM
GMC:er
This is a rad article about tuning.
Guitar Tuning

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
dcz702
May 13 2014, 07:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great article. Thanks for sharing. stated in the article about the needle jumping around because of the highs, I used to drive myself nuts trying to tune, as perfect as I could get. From experimenting I learned that switching to the neck would give me a better reading, never new why. smile.gif I especially have issues tuning my drop c guitar, tuner just jumps all over the place. The way I corrected it was to take my time setting intonation, and checking intonation after string changes, then I tune as close as I can get using headstock tuners, then lock the nuts and tune at the 12th fret using fine tuners, on the trem. Good article.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 13 2014, 09:02 PM
I think I was lucky when I started out, because I had a crap electric that could never hold tune very well (especially as much as I bend) and the intonation was never setup well. I've always had a decent ear, so I could tell when a string was out. I always thought this was part of being a guitar player. So for years, I've always adjusted the way I hold each string to get the strings in tune.

So when it comes to tuning, I always let the tuner give me an idea of where the tuning is. So if it displays I'm 5 cents flat, I adjust the machine head to what I think is 5 cents and move on to the next string. I do that twice over and it's usually pretty close, and I just play to make sure it's in tune.

It KILLS me sometimes watching people tune. Especially in a studio situation. You either got the dude who just PICK PICK PICK PICK PICKs the string over and over, up and down until the tuner kinda says it's in tune. OR you got the dude who strums the string and waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiitttts, then barely adjusts. Then picks the string again and waaaaaaiiiiiittts and barely adjusts. They think they are really locking it in. But once you start chugging on it, your a little out because you waited till the tuner registered a barely moving string instead of measuring the harder attack you play with.

But really, it's whatever works for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca
May 13 2014, 10:10 PM
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 13 2014, 05:27 PM) *
This is a rad article about tuning.
Guitar Tuning

Hey SeeJay, great article there and really informative. I was always taught to use the harmonic on 12th with an electronic tuner but had no idea the Boss tuners were such an easy fix. I use a Korg on my board but often use the POLYTUNE app on iphone. Suprisingly good. Considering buying the proper pedal version. Not sure if the pedal can tune into chords a la Keef Richards though. I would deffo get one if it could do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
May 13 2014, 10:15 PM
Probably at least worth mentioning that tuners have come a long way since this article was written in 2002.

Headstock tuners, strobe clip-ons like the Peterson Strobclip, Korg Polytune, etc...

Also, app tuners for iPod/Phone, Android, etc...

Lots of good advice, just don't forget how much tech has improved, too...

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 13 2014, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ May 13 2014, 09:15 PM) *
Probably at least worth mentioning that tuners have come a long way since this article was written in 2002.

Headstock tuners, strobe clip-ons like the Peterson Strobclip, Korg Polytune, etc...

My tu3 works great. I like to use the stream mode that way it's easy to see when it's just a tad flat or sharp.
I'm wondering if any of you guys use the tuner in Logic Pro x? I use it as much as I use my tu3, the tuner in logic seems to be very accurate, but the needle jump around a lot, so I tune using the frets and harmonics.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 14 2014, 04:44 AM
Oh very true. Hadn't thought about that. A good ear for tuning I think is important. It's great to have the technology to help us get there, but if you can't hear yourself, it can only get you so far.

QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ May 13 2014, 09:15 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:27 PM