Lesson Request: Blues Slide Guitar Lesson
Pio Jr.
Aug 8 2008, 09:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC,

It's been awhile since a I post something or since I play the guitar. I married this summer and went to much drinking and celebrating. Now after a month "It's time to get serious about the guitar" again tongue.gif

Is there any instructor like to make a blues guitar lesson with a bottleneck (slide guitar)? Maybe in style like these youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-3T0bA-04

Or like this man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECpA9a_2zQ biggrin.gif with a teaspoon

Thx Pio Jr.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitartonemaster.com - +2500 free guitar jam- & backing tracks -
All styles (Blues, Rock, Metal, Ballad, Reggae, Jazz, Acoustic, Funk,...) -
Backing Tracks: Top 10 Backing Tracks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 8 2008, 10:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Well muris has done this slide lesson, but slide is such an interesting topic and deserves way more attention I think!

[edit] fixed the link tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 9 2008, 12:28 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 10:05 PM
Instructor
I'll try to do one blues slide lesson, with some famous slide licks, but in september probably.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 9 2008, 12:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 8 2008, 05:05 PM) *
I'll try to do one blues slide lesson, with some famous slide licks, but in september probably.

Looking forward to it Ivan smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 9 2008, 01:13 AM
Instructor
I may come up with something but itnwill take time, got to prepare gear (put high action, hard gauge strings and heavy slide and may be some alternative tunning.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Pio Jr.
Aug 9 2008, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for all reply's - Looking forward for the lessons.

Pio Jr.

--------------------
Guitartonemaster.com - +2500 free guitar jam- & backing tracks -
All styles (Blues, Rock, Metal, Ballad, Reggae, Jazz, Acoustic, Funk,...) -
Backing Tracks: Top 10 Backing Tracks

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 10 2008, 04:22 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Heck yeah!! I just got my new slide from V-picks!!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Nancy Smith
Aug 10 2008, 09:16 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Aug 9 2008, 07:22 PM) *
Heck yeah!! I just got my new slide from V-picks!!!

So, have you had a chance to play that new V-Picks slide??? Did you get the regular size or the large?

--------------------
Nancy
Mrs. V
www.v-picks.com

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 17 2008, 06:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Nancy Smith @ Aug 10 2008, 04:16 PM) *
So, have you had a chance to play that new V-Picks slide??? Did you get the regular size or the large?

Sure did...it sounds great! I have a long way to go before I am good with it though! It takes a very gentle touch!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 17 2008, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Slide generally requires very gentle and specific kind of touch techniques in order to sound good. That and thick strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 17 2008, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Higher action is required as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 17 2008, 04:37 PM
Instructor
Aah yes, higher action is good to have too.

But thick strings and higher action are not mandatory - I've seen a couple of people playing with regular action and thin strings and it still sounds pretty cool. They just got the technique down nicely. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 17 2008, 06:34 PM
I'll be looking for that lesson also. I have a collection of slides I have not done much with yet, including the new V-Pick slide is on the way.

My original goal was to play slide, but then I decided I needed to learn scales better first.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 17 2008, 06:44 PM
Instructor
I have a Jim Dunlop glass slide for pinky finger and it serves me well smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 18 2008, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 17 2008, 08:37 AM) *
Aah yes, higher action is good to have too.

But thick strings and higher action are not mandatory - I've seen a couple of people playing with regular action and thin strings and it still sounds pretty cool. They just got the technique down nicely. smile.gif

I just bought a Slide Extension nut from Stewmac.com(Guitar repair supplier) that fits over the existing nut of your guitar and raises the action for Slide without having to resetup the guitar(Just need to loosen the strings , slip on, and tune up), and just got my Dunlop thick glass slides today(Forgot about V-pick having one), so this lesson discussion is perfect timing.

Some people use standard tuning and some use an alternate tuning - I'll have to look at the pros and cons as I dive into this.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor
I tried to use alternate tunings, like open D and similar, but then I realized that I can't get a grasp of all the stuff I wanna do on the fretboard, so I moved to standard, and now I can play a lot more stuff. Just a thought for those who start with slide smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 18 2008, 11:37 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Pio Jr. @ Aug 8 2008, 10:34 PM) *
Hey GMC,

It's been awhile since a I post something or since I play the guitar. I married this summer and went to much drinking and celebrating. Now after a month "It's time to get serious about the guitar" again tongue.gif

Is there any instructor like to make a blues guitar lesson with a bottleneck (slide guitar)? Maybe in style like these youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-3T0bA-04

Or like this man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECpA9a_2zQ biggrin.gif with a teaspoon

Thx Pio Jr.

Congrats man in the married thing.smile.gif
Slide lesson would be extreme interesting.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 19 2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor
I'd like to see more of this lessons, I'm too bad in this field tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 21 2008, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 18 2008, 03:33 PM) *
I tried to use alternate tunings, like open D and similar, but then I realized that I can't get a grasp of all the stuff I wanna do on the fretboard, so I moved to standard, and now I can play a lot more stuff. Just a thought for those who start with slide smile.gif

I agree. I know standard tuning is not that popular for slide but one thing that confuses me is all the more common slide open tunings(Such as Open-G) are great for playing major chords , but I can't see how to play a minor chord in those tunings. Am I missing something. In standard tuning, you can play the 3 high strings(G B E) to get a minor chord(Such as Em in open strings) or a major chord with the D G B Strings ( G if played open). This is assuming we are playing slide straight across strings.

I have been searching the net to see how to play a minor chord in an Open-G or an Open-D(Another popular slide tuning) but have not been able to find anything. Does anybody know how they do play minors in those tunings with a slide. or do sliders not play minor chords very often

I must be missing something as I can't see a reason to want to not use standard tuning in Slide.

Thanks,

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:24 AM