13 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
Phil66
Mar 16 2016, 10:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab,

I meant like this. Both scales as one, a whole bunch of notes to choose from. Or should we play licks using one scale and then the other swapping from one to the other

Cheers Gab

UPDATE

I have been reading the linked theory and I don't understand this statement in it.
"Using the intervals 1-2-3-5-6, this scale doesn’t have a 7th in it, which is why it can be used to solo over both 7th and maj7 chord, or even major triads, in various improvisational settings.""
Why is it OK to use a scale WITHOUT a 7th over 7th chords. I would have thought a scale WITH a 7th would work with a 7th chord but what do I know smile.gif
Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 17 2016, 09:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 17 2016, 10:07 PM
Take 1, struggled to get any flow going.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-1

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2016, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 16 2016, 09:29 AM) *
Hi Gabriel

when i play on with A major penta, sometimes it sound so awfull and sometime it sound good !!!!!!

both scales seem to work on the BT, but i do not kow why , the A major penta sound weird sometimes....

edit:

first assignement take, A blues scale

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/12bars

Laurent

Laurent that is brilliant, you have come a long way in such a short time, keep it up mate smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2016, 08:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 16 2016, 06:36 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I meant like this. Both scales as one, a whole bunch of notes to choose from. Or should we play licks using one scale and then the other swapping from one to the other

Cheers Gab

UPDATE

I have been reading the linked theory and I don't understand this statement in it.
"Using the intervals 1-2-3-5-6, this scale doesn’t have a 7th in it, which is why it can be used to solo over both 7th and maj7 chord, or even major triads, in various improvisational settings.""
Why is it OK to use a scale WITHOUT a 7th over 7th chords. I would have thought a scale WITH a 7th would work with a 7th chord but what do I know smile.gif
Cheers

At first it's better to switch from one to the other to get used to the different colors that you get. Then you can use different approaches to create music with them, but take your time to get used to each scale and arpeggio.

7th chords have a minor seventh, while Maj7th chords include a major 7th. A scale that doesn't include any 7th can be used over both chords.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 17 2016, 06:07 PM) *
Take 1, struggled to get any flow going.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-1

Good for a first try mate, keep working and remember to enjoy this beautiful process. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2016, 10:22 PM
"this beautiful process" Powerful words Gab, like a flower forming from a seed or an oak tree from an acorn " this really made me think differently about our evolution as players. Thank you wink.gif

Another try just using the blues scale.
Really struggling to get a decent tone, why is a good blues tone harder than a metal tone? More simple approach I guess, fewer effects, less distortion, more in the fingers?
Also the guitar sounds out of tune but it isn't, intonation is fine too. It sounds lifeless.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-2

Cheers Gab

UPDATE:
19th March 2016

Another go, I didn't realise how similar this was to the last one until I played it back on here. I need more ammunition in my armoury cool.gif
All I seem to ever do when improvising is find a pattern and kind of keep repeating it along a theme. I can't seem to get any flowing runs.
The other thing I find myself doing is only listening to the brum beat, the bass and rhythm guitars seem to fade out.

Blues scale:

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-3-blues-scale

Major pentatonic scale: This is much more difficult, it's got that stretch to the root on the D string with the pinkie making vibrato difficult unless you slide with another finger.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-4-pent-maj

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 19 2016, 09:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 20 2016, 03:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi everyone , here comes my first Amin pentatonic plus blue note.

Phil, I really like your take2. The tone fits great and you have a nice bluesy laid back style. Much better than me trying to play a note each beat. This will be inspiration for my next take. biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment3-task1-take1

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 20 2016, 06:31 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2016, 07:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 18 2016, 06:22 PM) *
"this beautiful process" Powerful words Gab, like a flower forming from a seed or an oak tree from an acorn " this really made me think differently about our evolution as players. Thank you wink.gif

Another try just using the blues scale.
Really struggling to get a decent tone, why is a good blues tone harder than a metal tone? More simple approach I guess, fewer effects, less distortion, more in the fingers?
Also the guitar sounds out of tune but it isn't, intonation is fine too. It sounds lifeless.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-2

Cheers Gab

UPDATE:
19th March 2016

Another go, I didn't realise how similar this was to the last one until I played it back on here. I need more ammunition in my armoury cool.gif
All I seem to ever do when improvising is find a pattern and kind of keep repeating it along a theme. I can't seem to get any flowing runs.
The other thing I find myself doing is only listening to the brum beat, the bass and rhythm guitars seem to fade out.

Blues scale:

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-3-blues-scale

Major pentatonic scale: This is much more difficult, it's got that stretch to the root on the D string with the pinkie making vibrato difficult unless you slide with another finger.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-4-pent-maj

Cheers

Awesome stuff Phil! I really liked your metaphor: "like a flower forming from a seed or an oak tree from an acorn". It's so nice to see ourselves as player with that perspective. It's also a good way to put aside anxiety and that feeling of dissatisfaction that we (guitarists) use to have.

Your takes are interesting. I don't think that the tones that you've used don't fit with the backing. Each blues player has its own tone, and I think that this style as well as cleaner jazz stuff depends a lot on each part of the chain, starting on the guitarist finger, passing through guitar, pick ups and amps. So it's a good idea to focus on tone too in this assignment. A good first exercise would be to try to emulate the tone of a blues player that you like and when you think it's close enough, do the same with any other one. This will train your ears and will make you explore a lot your gear.

About your playing, I think that these takes show that you are focusing on creating clear phrases (well done!) but mostly on exploring each of the scales. That's exactly what I think you should do at this stage. Explore the sound of each scale and discover how each note sounds over the different chords. Pentatonic Major scale is trickier, but it give a very unique sound that combined with the other stuff is pure BLUES.

Keep on practicing and share new takes soon!

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 20 2016, 11:21 AM) *

Phil, I really like your take2. The tone fits great and you have a nice bluesy laid back style. Much better than me trying to play a note each beat. This will be inspiration for my next take. biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-as...nt3-task1-take1

Hi Tom! Great to see your first take on this one! smile.gif

I'd like to hear you jamming more using this scale but with a small difference. Instead of using the blue note as a target note (a note in which you end phrases), try using it as a passing note and end your phrases on other notes from the scale. Please focus only on this small task and share a take after 1 or 2 days of practice, deal?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 20 2016, 07:53 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 20 2016, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 20 2016, 02:21 PM) *

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-as...nt3-task1-take1

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate your comments. I always try to keep in mind, it's not what you play, but what you don't play that works with the blues, maybe a little harder with the tempo of this trick but have a listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tin Pan Alley for some inspiration to not play a note a beat wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2016, 06:56 PM) *
Awesome stuff Phil! I really liked your metaphor: "like a flower forming from a seed or an oak tree from an acorn". It's so nice to see ourselves as player with that perspective. It's also a good way to put aside anxiety and that feeling of dissatisfaction that we (guitarists) use to have.

Your takes are interesting. I don't think that the tones that you've used don't fit with the backing. Each blues player has its own tone, and I think that this style as well as cleaner jazz stuff depends a lot on each part of the chain, starting on the guitarist finger, passing through guitar, pick ups and amps. So it's a good idea to focus on tone too in this assignment. A good first exercise would be to try to emulate the tone of a blues player that you like and when you think it's close enough, do the same with any other one. This will train your ears and will make you explore a lot your gear.

About your playing, I think that these takes show that you are focusing on creating clear phrases (well done!) but mostly on exploring each of the scales. That's exactly what I think you should do at this stage. Explore the sound of each scale and discover how each note sounds over the different chords. Pentatonic Major scale is trickier, but it give a very unique sound that combined with the other stuff is pure BLUES.

Keep on practicing and share new takes soon!

Thanks Gab,

New takes will be coming very soon. I'm getting worried about the arpeggio assignment though unsure.gif

Cheers

UPDATE:

New take sooner than I thought. I tried something new 0:12-0:22

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-5-pent-maj

I find I struggle if I try to hold notes for a while.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 20 2016, 10:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 21 2016, 08:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2016, 07:56 PM) *
Hi Tom! Great to see your first take on this one! smile.gif

I'd like to hear you jamming more using this scale but with a small difference. Instead of using the blue note as a target note (a note in which you end phrases), try using it as a passing note and end your phrases on other notes from the scale. Please focus only on this small task and share a take after 1 or 2 days of practice, deal?

Ok - Let's try it this way. Thanks Gab and Phil for feedback.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 21 2016, 02:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 20 2016, 05:01 PM) *
Thanks Tom,

I appreciate your comments. I always try to keep in mind, it's not what you play, but what you don't play that works with the blues, maybe a little harder with the tempo of this trick but have a listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tin Pan Alley for some inspiration to not play a note a beat wink.gif

Thanks Gab,

New takes will be coming very soon. I'm getting worried about the arpeggio assignment though unsure.gif

Cheers

UPDATE:

New take sooner than I thought. I tried something new 0:12-0:22

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-5-pent-maj

I find I struggle if I try to hold notes for a while.

Hi Phil, thanks for that SRV track, it's really inspiring for this thread. Let's keep sharing inspiring videos that can bring fresh ideas here.

About your solo, it's good to see you experimenting with double stops, keep on doing it and try different rhythms. I think that your tone is a bit dirty on this new take, I would try with less distortion and with more presence. I also think that you could experiment using more silence, and different rhythms, as well as using more bending and vibrato. Let's start making this sound more and more bluesy.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks Gab,

On that section 0:12-0:22 I wasn't actually playing double stops, I fingered the barre chord and then strummed down once and up twice but it doesn't cut through in the the sound for some reason.

More bluesy stuff tonight hopefully

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 21 2016, 03:37 PM
Learning Roadie
So here is a new try about not ending a phrase on D#. Hope I got it?

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-task1-take2

No idea why all videos you both share are not available here ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 21 2016, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2016, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 21 2016, 02:37 PM) *

That sounds better to me Tom smile.gif If I were you; and please don't think I getting above my station; I would try adding some vibrato to your extended notes to add a bit of flavour smile.gif

Here's something that might inspire us and give us some ideas for this track.
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Shake For Me

Gab,
Here is another go. I struggled to come up with anything in the Major Pentatonic scale tonight so went back to the blues scale.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-wor...e-6-blues-scale

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-workshop-assignment-3-take-6-blues-scale

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Mar 24 2016, 09:33 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2016, 02:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 21 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Great job, this sounds much better! You are now on the right direction. You need to continue exploring this scale, and slowly start with the other two approaches.

One cool trick that you can try, based on this new take is to add a slow half bend every time you play the 5th fret on the 3rd string. This will bend the minor third to the major third. Try it and let me know if you like what you get.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 21 2016, 04:47 PM) *
That sounds better to me Tom smile.gif If I were you; and please don't think I getting above my station; I would try adding some vibrato to your extended notes to add a bit of flavour smile.gif

Here's something that might inspire us and give us some ideas for this track.
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Shake For Me

Gab,
Here is another go. I struggled to come up with anything in the Major Pentatonic scale tonight so went back to the blues scale.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-wor...e-6-blues-scale

The Soundcloud gremlins are back sad.gif

That's a nice new take mate. In order to start mixing both scales I recommend you to explore the licks of this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-...nor-Pentatonic/

Learn some of them and try to find out how the instructor combines both scales in the same solo. It's a great lesson. You'll also find some double stop licks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm on it. What about the tone? That was my amp with a bit of drive from a pedal and an SM57 near center of speaker.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 22 2016, 04:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - I will try this trick with the bend and share a new take soon.

Hi Phil - I really appreciate your candid feedback wink.gif Thanks much!
I just restricted my time to this thread to about 30min/d to leave time for the other lessons. That's why I stopped yesterday at a raw idea. Currently I struggle a little doing all the things I want in my guitar practice as well as work and family commitments. And late at night its hard being creative.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 22 2016, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2016, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 22 2016, 03:08 PM) *
Thanks Gab - I will try this trick with the bend and share a new take soon.

Hi Phil - I really appreciate your candid feedback wink.gif Thanks much!
I just restricted my time to this thread to about 30min/d to leave time for the other lessons. That's why I stopped yesterday at a raw idea. Currently I struggle a little doing all the things I want in my guitar practice as well as work and family commitments. And late at night its hard being creative.

I know what it's like mate. I just struggle to stop on something at the 30 minute mark. I keep saying, "One more take" laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 22 2016, 07:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes Phil, on days when "sound flows" one should not stop at all...but usually I fight for every single phrase.

So here is a new take of the same idea where I bend the 3rd of A from minor to major. Hope I got that right so.
Maybe It was not so clever to do that bend at the end again as I so end on C# . sad.gif
Will spend some time with the Maj pentatonic and dominant arpeggios today.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take3

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 22 2016, 07:52 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2016, 10:08 PM
Hello Gab,

I only had 30 minutes tonight sad.gif Here is anothr take. I did look at that lesson you suggested but it's a little advanced. I did get some ideas though.
I've tried for a bit of a jazzy feel here, you will be able to tell me if I got anywhere near. It was totally improvised hence the errors (I didn't know where I was going at times laugh.gif )

I didn't have much time to work on tone so it's a little bit fizzy. Oh what I would give for Stevie Ray's tone cool.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-7-blues-scale

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2016, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 22 2016, 03:51 PM) *
Yes Phil, on days when "sound flows" one should not stop at all...but usually I fight for every single phrase.

So here is a new take of the same idea where I bend the 3rd of A from minor to major. Hope I got that right so.
Maybe It was not so clever to do that bend at the end again as I so end on C# . sad.gif
Will spend some time with the Maj pentatonic and dominant arpeggios today.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take3

Hi mate, you have to be sure that you are reaching the correct pitch, so play the 6th fret first and then bend from 5th for a few times before you start improvising over the backing. Only little detail, this trick works better over the I7 chord, in this case A7 so please avoid it when the other two chords are played in the backing. Also, don't use it as a target note, use it as a passing note to a chord tone, preferable the root (A).

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 22 2016, 06:08 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I only had 30 minutes tonight sad.gif Here is anothr take. I did look at that lesson you suggested but it's a little advanced. I did get some ideas though.
I've tried for a bit of a jazzy feel here, you will be able to tell me if I got anywhere near. It was totally improvised hence the errors (I didn't know where I was going at times laugh.gif )

I didn't have much time to work on tone so it's a little bit fizzy. Oh what I would give for Stevie Ray's tone cool.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-7-blues-scale

Cheers

That's very cool. I like the rhythm of your phrasing, it can become a bit repetitive after some measures but as we are at a practice stage it's good to repeat ideas to incorporate them. If you want to make your phrasing sound more "jazzy" I recommend you to listen some Scofield or Henderson albums, as well as something from Robben Ford.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:16 PM