Korg Pandora Px4d - Seldom Mentioned Feature
WTN
Nov 24 2007, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
There are several reviews of the Korg Pandora PX4D in Muris's forum, but one feature that really comes in handy is the "AUX PITCH" button. I.E. - I find that in most of Muris's lessons, his guitar is about 3-4 cents too sharp - not to say that it is not in tune, but all the conversion that goes on somehow changes the pitch slightly. Now, since I received my RG370DX, it would be a royal PITA to retune it once it is locked down.

No problem with the Pandora - I let it retune the input signal. Here is my setup for these lessons. Dell laptop with an Edirol USB UA-1EX Audio Interface (nice unit). I use a stereo 1/8 inch cord (on both ends) to attach the UA-1EX to the Pandora's Aux input. One can just use the same cord to attach to the laptop's headphone output, but it seem's the first thing to crap out on these Dell laptops is that blasted headphone connector.

Here is a closeup of the Pandora. The three cords at the bottom are (from right to left) The aux input, the guitar input, and the output which is stereo and goes to a set of self-powered Wharfedale Monitors:

Back on topic: All you have to do is hit the "AUX PITCH" button and adjust the tuning - in this case I went flat about 3 cents. Presto - you are in perfect tune with the lesson. The only drawback is that the input will be in mono but who cares - it still sounds great.

Finally a shot of the monitors and my 24 hour old RG370DX:

OK - so we know the Pandora sounds great (listen to any of Muris's lessons), but it also has some cool features. I did not mention the Rhythm or Phrase Trainer mode, but these allow you to have a backing track to practice with (mucho rhythm combos - even the weird stuff - 7/8 etc.) - these include bass and drums. Plus you can actually record a rhythm (or whatever) from the input and store it in memory.

All in all, a great little practice tool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 24 2007, 10:30 PM
Cool, maybe I should check it out...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Nov 24 2007, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 24 2007, 10:30 PM) *
Cool, maybe I should check it out...

Check out the Boss micro br as well....It has tons of features as well. I returned my pandora for a micro br.

Only down side to the br...eats batterys so make sure you have a boss 9v power supply handy.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 25 2007, 01:20 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Sorry WTN but unless you have word clocked your gear to Muris's rig you can not determine accurately whether or not he is 4 % within pitch. Quite simply you do not know the accurate sample sync in comparison with his. There are enough discussion on many forums about the differences in sample rate issues affecting tuning accuracy by a few cents to invalidate any comparison like this IMHO. That is even before any consideration of whether you are both tuned to A=440.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 25 2007, 01:45 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 24 2007, 06:20 PM) *
Sorry WTN but unless you have word clocked your gear to Muris's rig you can not determine accurately whether or not he is 4 % within pitch. Quite simply you do not know the accurate sample sync in comparison with his. There are enough discussion on many forums about the differences in sample rate issues affecting tuning accuracy by a few cents to invalidate any comparison like this IMHO. That is even before any consideration of whether you are both tuned to A=440.

Cheers,
Tony

Great Tony,

Maybe I am missing something - you say ""word clock your gear" and I know what you mean, but I am definitely missing something here - more help please. How can I "word clock" my gear to Muris's rig over the internet?????

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 25 2007, 02:25 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Afraid you can't WTN and so none of us can say accurately whether someone is out by a few cents based solely on a video or mp3 recording. Now if it is a professionally recorded and mastered cd you may because that is the responsibility of the producer to ensure. Interestingly if I put a lot of recordings through software capable of pitch correction - Melodyne and Antares Autotune for instance - it's amazing how much is off pitch by a few cents but 'in tune' relative. And that includes professional commercial cds.

Years ago the situation was 'worse' as lps and tapes could not physically produce a format that was fully accurate across a complicated frequency mix. (Single frequency fine - complicated mix no.) Indeed NO turntable is capable of producing a 100% pitchlock throughout the entire range of travel of an LP. I use a Michell Orbe - a not inexpensive turntable - something that has massive inertia and even Michell acknowledge that on complicated music that the speed can alter particularly as the density of grooves per inch alters with information recorded and as the needle tracks inwards - so changing the drag on the needle. Tape - as we know - similarly suffer from wow and flutter, etc. CDs are also not 100% - one reason why some hi fi bods pay buckets of cash for clock 'accurate' conversion and sync locked tables wink.gif .

Without a final pro produced cd you need to physically connect a bnc cable to Muris's workclock and yours and check at full sample timing accuracy of his ad/da out and then you can maybe say he's out by a few cents. Seriously I've seen it said an awful lot of times that such and such a recording is out by x, or that someone tunes with a physical tuner and then checks against a computer/digital tuner, whatever - or vice versa - and one is out from the other. Problem is if you don't lock all the kit then you can be out by a few cents frequency or timing wise. Video is particularly an issue here as you run into issues with inaccurate clocking on all but the very high end pro gear - and even there you need to clock. Put it another way - how do you know Muris is a few cents out rather then it being the video recording, running/playing back, or your pc playing back the file at the wrong rate - or some combination?

The only real way to know if someone is out a small amount is to plug their guitar in to your Peterson Strobe.

On a separate note - I'm a complete Luddite and was always told in studios to 'if in doubt tune to the in-house piano'. I'm such a Luddite that I still use a tuning fork and harmonics to tune if there's no piano wink.gif.
On second thoughts it's because I'm a cheapskate and so won't pay money for a digital/strobe tuner whilst I still have my old and knackerd (and so no longer accurate) tuning forl laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:05 AM