Counting Loud When Playing
Phil666
Oct 24 2009, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Can you count loud the beat (for instance 1 - 2 - 3 - 4) when playing (intricate) guitar parts?

I've been told it's a good exercise to develop rhythm, which makes sense. What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 24 2009, 05:46 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Yeh, any way of counting that helps you with rhythm placement is good imo. Just don't do it when you play a gig. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil666
Oct 24 2009, 05:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Yeh, any way of counting that helps you with rhythm placement is good imo. Just don't do it when you play a gig. tongue.gif

Actually, sometimes Bruce Dickinson (singer of iron maiden) does it. He shouts "one two three four"!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 24 2009, 05:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil666 @ Oct 24 2009, 05:54 PM) *
Actually, sometimes Bruce Dickinson (singer of iron maiden) does it. He shouts "one two three four"!

Is that not to count in to the start of something though. Not too keep time.

+Quote Post
Phil666
Oct 24 2009, 06:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Is that not to count in to the start of something though. Not too keep time.

Of course!!! it just sounds cool in that context.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 24 2009, 07:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Phil666 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:54 PM) *

Yeah that is a common singers trick to count in cool parts of the song and make it more interesting to audience and to anticipate a more drastic change in rhythm! smile.gif

Counting out loud or tapping your foot is a good practice!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 24 2009, 11:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil666 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:54 PM) *

Actually I heard Ozzy count to three... (but only once) laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Skalde
Oct 25 2009, 01:35 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil666 @ Oct 24 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Can you count loud the beat (for instance 1 - 2 - 3 - 4) when playing (intricate) guitar parts?

I've been told it's a good exercise to develop rhythm, which makes sense. What do you think?

nope, I can't do it. playing triplets and counting 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -> no way laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 25 2009, 03:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 25 2009, 12:56 AM) *
Actually I heard Ozzy count to three... (but only once) laugh.gif

Could be they were playing in 3/4 wink.gif

That said, we used to count into everything 1, 2, 3, 4 in my band. We thought it became a bit messy to count into 9/8, 15/16 or something weird.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:47 PM