New Strings .., Help me please!
AlexLion
Feb 7 2009, 03:09 PM
GMC:er
Guys, i have a problem, today i put on new strings, but seems that i can tune them... when i tuned to C#G#C#F#A#D# my whammy bar was completely lifted in the air (and strings was like 1cm above frets..)
and that was pretty scary i must admit. I untuned them to like A# or something (completely untuned) and whammy bar looks like this on picture above.. I was using 10-46 and now that`s 10-60(10-13-17-36-52-60) but i wasn`t ready for insane strenght of those strings (with old strings whammy bar was in horizontal position when tuned to drop d). So what should i do now? Weaken or strenghten springs? I need drop D and it should be safe, because i don`t want to hurt my guitar.. Or i can forgot drop D and standart tuning? (it can`t be..)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Feb 7 2009, 03:10 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ZakkWylde
Feb 7 2009, 03:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
The new Strings are pulling harder (because they are thicker) and therefore lift up the tremolo when tuned to your old tuning. You have to open the back of your guitar and strenghten the springs until your tremolo floats were it should be. That task of tuning, strenghtening and tuning again until your guitar is set up right can be a real pain in the lower back, especially for someone who has never done it before...

You can try yourself or take it to a pro if you don't want to damage your guitar + you can learn how to do it yourself while looking how the guitar tech does it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2009, 03:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
the fundamentals are that the force pulling the strings (and tremolo) towards the head should have a counter force of the exact same strength to hold the tremolo back. It should be in level with the guitar surface.

String gauge is one force, can't be affected.
The orther force can be adjusted by adding more or thicker springs in the back of your guitar. Then you can see that the springs are hooked to a claw which is screwed into the body. Turn the screw clockwise if you want to increas the counter force and lower the tremolo.
And the opposite if you want to raise the tremolo incase it sinks into thej body.

This can take quite some time the first couple of times until you get the hang of it.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 7 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks, i remember i weaken springs with old strings but that was just a bit.. here it looks like hard job. I think i`ll try a bit and see how it goes if too hard then yeah i should take it to guitar tech=/

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 7 2009, 03:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
biggrin.gif Floating trems - I luv 'em! There's loads of information on maintaining your trem and changing strings/balancing spring tension etc on the internet. There should be some good videos that go through things step by step too.
The only advice I'll give is this: don't take it to a guitar tech - learn to do it yourself, however long it takes. You will get the hang of it and it will take less and less time to do. I used to be a bit intimidated by floyd rose trems so I forced myself to learn by buying/making lots of guitars with floating trems so that I'd get the practise. (Same applies to pickups and electronics and, well, everything. That's just the way I am though..)

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 7 2009, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Feb 7 2009, 04:31 PM) *
biggrin.gif Floating trems - I luv 'em! There's loads of information on maintaining your trem and changing strings/balancing spring tension etc on the internet. There should be some good videos that go through things step by step too.
The only advice I'll give is this: don't take it to a guitar tech - learn to do it yourself, however long it takes. You will get the hang of it and it will take less and less time to do. I used to be a bit intimidated by floyd rose trems so I forced myself to learn by buying/making lots of guitars with floating trems so that I'd get the practise. (Same applies to pickups and electronics and, well, everything. That's just the way I am though..)

Ok, really good advice i should find some videos.. And i can imagine my guitar without floyd rose smile.gif i`ll better spend additional hours to tune her, but finally i`ll got what i really want smile.gif

I guess bad news for me, i almost twist the screws to the end and tremolo is far from horizontal position.. I have 3 springs in tremolo system and there are also 2 additional holes for springs. Did i need to buy 2 springs?(sigh) And should it be exactly from my guitar model? (this will be a total nightmare..) Or just any springs? Or replace old ones?

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Feb 7 2009, 03:57 PM

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 7 2009, 04:15 PM
That's quite insane. I've never had to use more than three springs for 10s strings. You can use more springs 4 or 5 but the spring tension increases of course so the trem action will not be so light and for 5 springs you may need to start using the whammy bar with your feet or go to the gym (joke)
Good luck. Hope it gets sorted without too much stress (no pun intended) smile.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 7 2009, 04:38 PM
Haha actually i go in the gym (LOL). And off course high 3 strings don`t require any real strengh(of tremolo), but that 0.60 0.52... require a lot it seems.. I`m quite depressed rigth now... Till monday i have to play on acoustic it seems.. and i`m not sure that it will be done in monday

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Feb 8 2009, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2009, 05:04 PM
Tighten the screw that holds the claw the springs are attached to!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 7 2009, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 7 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Tighten the screw that holds the claw the springs are attached to!

I think he tried this - he said the screws went to the end and the trem still isn't horizontal. Although it's odd that with three springs there isn't ample tension.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2009, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Feb 7 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I think he tried this - he said the screws went to the end and the trem still isn't horizontal. Although it's odd that with three springs there isn't ample tension.

Oh, I missed that. I see it now.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 7 2009, 05:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Can i ask why you need a string set of this size? 6o 54 .. is quite unusual big and i think for to archive the right setup you will need to do a few more adjustments ... move saddles for example.

As said above, you will find some good tutorials on youtube and it's good to learn how to do these setups on your own. Small adjustments you will have to do all the time when changing to different sets. If its your first try i would suggest to stick to more common string sets.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 8 2009, 12:00 AM
I need those because so thick strings have incredible sound smile.gif for metal they`re would be perfect.. rhythm parts will sound very nice and solos can be executed as well without any problems, because high strings is pretty thin. And yes they looks big biggrin.gif
IS here any guitar tech`s? Maybe instructors should know what i need to do? Attaching 2 more springs will not be easy.. and tremolo will be hard as rock. (even now it`s far from light)
p.s.- and of course it`s not first time, but it is first time when i bought so thick strings..

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Feb 8 2009, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 8 2009, 02:46 AM
Instructor
I don't know if you did but some advice to the future would be: change string by string like it says in the Ibanez manual, because if not this kind of things happends a lot smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 8 2009, 08:58 AM
I`m sorry, where i can get that Ibanez manual? Youtube? Google? And did this manual apply on Jackson too? I woul be very grateful if someone included URL`s too in advices:)

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 8 2009, 09:30 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
When I increased my string size from .009 to .010 on my Ibanez it needed 4 springs instead of 3, so it wouldn't surprise me that you just need that as well (especially as you have heavy bottom strings as well (might even need 5).

Oh, and my whammy bar is still perfectly able to dive-bomb without a muscle injury smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Feb 8 2009, 09:31 AM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 8 2009, 12:39 PM
Instructor
010-060 must be really heavy tension then,
try adding more springs Alex!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Feb 8 2009, 08:02 PM
Yes i think this is the only way, well thanks for your replies, guys! smile.gif Tomorrow i`ll go searching for additional springs:)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 8 2009, 10:55 PM
Instructor
Springs shouldn't be too expensive, buy only 2 of them if you have 3 already. Detune the strings, and attach the springs and try again with the screws all the way in the wood, and then just slowly build up a tension and balance it with the screws. Also check the manual if the guitar can hold these strings, so you don't get your neck twisted or curved.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 31 2009, 09:43 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Off topic: What is the width of the high e string?

Well what I can recommend you is to downtune your guitar, so the pulling strenght of strings is not that high... If you want to stay in normal tuning, add another spring OR (maybe the best idea) take it to guitar tech and he will take care of it...

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:27 PM