One Universe, Song inspired by Joe Kataldo Pop struming lesson
coffeeman
May 8 2008, 09:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi there,

Here is a song I came up today inspired by Joe Kataldo pop struming lesson. I did the progression in E minor. Thanks for the lesson Joe.

I would like to read comments about it.

Thanks.

Attached File  One_Universe.mp3 ( 926.12K ) Number of downloads: 290

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by coffeeman: May 8 2008, 11:42 PM

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Adel Alsayed
May 8 2008, 09:53 PM
GMC:er
i think it was very good biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 8 2008, 10:59 PM
Singing Instructor
Nice idea.Few tips(recording).Pad is to strong(in relation to main guitar),and try not to pan main pad,try to put him in a middle and spread a round equally.Or,make the rhythm guitar on the right and pad to the left,but make shore that they are equally in volume,but lower that solo guitar.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
coffeeman
May 8 2008, 11:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
sorry for my ignorance what is a pad?

Thanks for the tips.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jul 25 2008, 03:44 PM
Instructor
nice idea...try to improve the mix smile.gif

QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 9 2008, 12:17 AM) *

Thanks for the tips.

a background of chords like violins or such

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 25 2008, 03:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 9 2008, 12:17 AM) *

Thanks for the tips.

pad are keyboards ...

nice idea , just the mix isn't very good..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jul 25 2008, 03:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the comment guys, Im working on my mixing skills.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
JamesT
Aug 9 2008, 02:45 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Sorry for the long post. I guess I get carried away this this stuff sometimes. biggrin.gif

Mixing for sure is a bit of an art and a science at the same time.
I read an article once regarding a good starting point for a mix. You have to use your mixer's meters to do this. Most software mixers have decent meters on each track.

The idea is to get all the levels established systematically first, (the science part), and then to go back listen, reflect, and modify the mix to taste (the art part).

Here are the various levels that can be used as starting points...

• Snare = 0 db
  • Kick = -3 db
  • Hat = -6 db
  • Toms = 0 db
  • Cymbal= -6db
  • Bass = -6 db
  • Rhythm Guitar = -6db
  • Pad (soft keyboards) = -9db
  • Lead Guitar = -6db
  • Vocals = 0 db

Ok, if you're new to "db" (decibels), zero is louder, each -3db is perceptably softer but not (way softer).
The above is a good starting point in a mix.
Start without using any effects whatsoever.
Set up your song as above and then listen to see what you like and don't like about the various levels of each piece.
Panning is an important part to getting each instrument to where you can hear it and yet keeping it from competing with other instruments in the mix. Tweak this until you have something you are happy with.

From there, add effects.
  • Start with eq on each part. Use eq to also help keep instruments from competing with one another.
  • Add compression to parts that vary in loudness where they seem to be too loud at one point and too soft at another.
  • Add chorus & delay to the parts to your liking.
  • Add reverb to the total mix.
  • In general, and in a final mix, less is more when it comes to effects. Start with lower settings first.

Now that everything is "in" so to speak, take a break, give your ears a rest, and come back when you're fresh.
Tweak the whole project to your liking. I think the "art" comes in during this process. The key is listening very carefully to each part to get an idea for how it "sits" in the mix.

Of course, there are many ways to go about it and as you do more of this, your style will grow as will your ability to "get it right the first time". For me, it's a very fun part of the musicians experience, cause that's the time I get to listen to and "marvel" at my creative skills smile.gif ... and of course, it's also the time to hear all the mistakes and timing errors that I made when cutting that guitar solo track. mad.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 9 2008, 10:22 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I also think this was a good idea for a song, keep it up smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2008, 10:37 AM
Instructor
Very nice mate. I suggest leveling up the guitar with teh backings it's way to back. Try rendering again and uploading.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 10 2008, 11:09 AM
Singing Instructor
@ JamesT
Thanks for the great post man, really helpful stuff,I disagree a bout the db for pad,I use -20 db or more for the soft keyboards.IMO pad is for filling up the sound picture and it should be quiet as hell.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Aug 10 2008, 03:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank for your comments and your advices guys. I will upload a new version a.s.a.p.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:27 PM