My New Band's First Song!, Symphonic Metal
Dinaga
Jan 23 2012, 05:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey mates, I talked about my new Symphonic Metal band in an older topic, so I'd like to share with you our first song. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dolia-winter-queen-1

Everything was done in Cubase with Guitar Rig.
I won't talk much about it, I'll let the music speak for itself.

So... Please tell me what you think about the song, the overall feel, the instruments, vocals, the production and of course, the guitar solo. smile.gif Looking forward to your opinion, thanks a lot in advance! biggrin.gif

Cheers! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 24 2012, 11:40 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 11:20 PM) *
Wow, thanks a lot Sir for such a detailed feedback! smile.gif You guys really give the best feedback, this is exactly what we need right now!
...And we definitely need a better microphone because vocals are sometimes too silent and other times too loud. All in all - your're totally right, there is room for improvement!

Nice composition and playing/singing but +1 with Gab's comments on the mix - it does need some more attention.

You need to not just consider the vox mic but the preamp that is being use and you should consider using a compressor on it. To some extent though you need a more consistent recording and performance with attention to mic technique. This isn't questionng whether she has a nice voice and can sing but on being able to hold, position and work a mic appropriately. Vox needs de-essing quite a bit as well.

With reverb - you can either use reverb as an obvious effect or as ambience. In the recording, to me, the vox reverb here is used as an effect and IMHO it doesn't work. I'd suggest that you use reverb on this recording more as abience and be more subtle with it.

Bass and low mid range is rather lost in the mix and as both Gab and Chris say the mix sounds thin and it also a little like it was recorded in a long tunnel. Related to this your instrument balance and positions needs some work - drums are too low and lack power, etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 24 2012, 11:52 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks again people for the nice comments smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 24 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Nice composition and playing/singing but +1 with Gab's comments on the mix - it does need some more attention.

You need to not just consider the vox mic but the preamp that is being use and you should consider using a compressor on it. To some extent though you need a more consistent recording and performance with attention to mic technique. This isn't questionng whether she has a nice voice and can sing but on being able to hold, position and work a mic appropriately. Vox needs de-essing quite a bit as well.

With reverb - you can either use reverb as an obvious effect or as ambience. In the recording, to me, the vox reverb here is used as an effect and IMHO it doesn't work. I'd suggest that you use reverb on this recording more as abience and be more subtle with it.

Bass and low mid range is rather lost in the mix and as both Gab and Chris say the mix sounds thin and it also a little like it was recorded in a long tunnel. Related to this your instrument balance and positions needs some work - drums are too low and lack power, etc.

You're right. Now that you said it, as I listen to the song again I realize more and more that the vox reverb was waaaay too high, and it distracts from the vocals, and from the whole song. This is the first time I have the job of mixing the song and I have a lot to learn. I didn't use a compressor before (except when it was included in a Guitar Rig preset but then I didn't meddle with it), so I'll have to experiment with it and see how it can be used to give the best results... We also need to experiment with the microphone position (try to find the ideal distance from the microphone and the singer).

I don't know if you listened to the SoundCloud or the YouTube version. The YouTube version is the latest one. We also realized that vocals (and drums) in the SoundCloud version needed decreasing so we did that in the video version. I don't know if it's enough though? mellow.gif

And you're on the spot with the "tunnel" comment - yeah, I noticed that too, and it's mainly because of the excessive reverb on the vocals. We'll need to be more careful about that one, because it's really evident, especially in the song ending...

I have a question for the others who record songs with vocals: What are the things you usually add to vocals? I know it depends from song to song but are there some ideas which work most of the time? I'd like to have a solid foundation from where I can start, and then I can add more variables etc.

Thanks a lot mates. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Dinaga   My New Band's First Song!   Jan 23 2012, 05:52 PM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   hey mate!! Congrats for the firs song...   Jan 23 2012, 06:07 PM
|- - Dinaga   QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 23 2012, 06...   Jan 23 2012, 06:10 PM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 02:10 PM) Th...   Jan 23 2012, 06:20 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 23 2012, 04:52 PM) He...   Jan 23 2012, 09:15 PM
- - Sinisa Cekic   She is somewhat unsure,my first impression ,is o...   Jan 23 2012, 11:02 PM
- - Dinaga   Thanks a lot for the support friends! I reall...   Jan 23 2012, 11:19 PM
- - SirJamsalot   Nice composition! Good stuff in my opinion ~ ...   Jan 23 2012, 11:52 PM
|- - Dinaga   QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 23 2012, 11:52 P...   Jan 24 2012, 12:20 AM
nnn
- - Nihilist1   I feel as if all the advice that needed to be give...   Jan 23 2012, 11:58 PM
- - Blister   That's your FIRST song? Great job! That so...   Jan 24 2012, 01:16 AM
- - PosterBoy   How did you get Yngwie to do a guest spot? Good j...   Jan 24 2012, 07:44 AM
|- - ItSME3   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 24 2012, 11:52 AM) Th...   Jan 24 2012, 01:09 PM
nnn
nnn
- - JaxN4   You should be proud of the work you did here Dino....   Jan 24 2012, 11:59 AM
|- - Dinaga   QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 24 2012, 11:59 AM) You...   Jan 24 2012, 12:08 PM
nnn
- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 24 2012, 10:52 AM) .....   Jan 24 2012, 01:31 PM
- - Daniel Realpe   That's some great advice by Tony. Really spot ...   Jan 24 2012, 08:21 PM
- - Dinaga   Thanks again people for the feedback, great piece ...   Jan 24 2012, 11:31 PM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate! I'm not too big of a fan of the ...   Jan 25 2012, 09:51 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:54 AM