2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Online Ordered Guitars
Travelin' Man
Jul 13 2007, 02:42 PM
GMC:er
Has anyone gone through this process? If so, do the stores, say Guitar Center, whom you may order it from, have one in-store that you can try on for size, before ordering it, or is it just a shot in the dark?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 03:04 PM
Why order online if you are able to go into the store and try it out? I haven't ordered online, I ordered over the phone to get my Gibson Les Paul, and I didn't try it first, but I also am not in a location with stores that sell guitars.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 13 2007, 03:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 13 2007, 03:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
Never buy a guitar that you haven't tried out before!
My first guitar looked cool, I ordered it and it sucks (bad luck).

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 13 2007, 03:09 PM
QUOTE (Travelin' Man @ Jul 13 2007, 08:42 AM) *
Has anyone gone through this process? If so, do the stores, say Guitar Center, whom you may order it from, have one in-store that you can try on for size, before ordering it, or is it just a shot in the dark?

Most you can order online you can find in a shop. If its the cost thats bringing you to order online, id go in and play first.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 03:10 PM
I would never order anything other than a les paul without trying it first too tongue.gif But I really couldn't go wrong buying this. So definitely try before you buy, or you may be very sorry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 13 2007, 03:54 PM
Thnx all...I havent been to any store as of yet, but it seems when looking for a guitar in a certain store via the internet, it keeps pushing me to the "order-on-line" nonsense. I just want to see whats available IN the store...thats why I posed the Q.
Im sure the Gibsons, Fenders, etc. are available IN the stores, but the cheaper ones, maybe even the value packages, may have to be ordered on-line.
The last thing I want, is some piece of junk that is better suited as a tomato stake in the veggy garden, than plugged into an amp. I just dont have alot of funds for the more expensive set-ups.

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 13 2007, 03:57 PM
Well the reason to order online is because 9 times out of 10 guitars online are a lot cheaper than in stores or at least over here it is. Seriously went into local guitar shop the other day they had some guitar there selling for about £500 - £600 yet online they were only about £300 yet they were the exact same model. Sure try stuff out at your local shop to see if you like it and stuff but i personally would prefer to order them online.

+Quote Post
timbo81
Jul 14 2007, 01:38 AM
I bought a 2002 fender strat off ebay, I saved hundreds, I estimated it would have nearly cost double if I walked into a shop because mine was a bit of a rarer version.

True I didn't get to play it before hand but the fender name is so well known that you know you can trust that you're getting a good quality guitar.

Ordering an unknown name brand guitar yeah might be risky.

This post has been edited by timbo81: Jul 14 2007, 01:39 AM

+Quote Post
Aaron
Jul 14 2007, 01:43 AM
The best thing to do would be to check out the model you want in an actual store. Dont just look at it and play for 10 minutes. Get a feel for it and if its the one you want go for it.

This post has been edited by Aaron: Jul 14 2007, 01:43 AM

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 14 2007, 02:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Travelin' Man @ Jul 13 2007, 08:42 AM) *

The guitar center here has tons of guitars to choose from. You can get a $100 or a $4000 one and they will let you play any of them for as long as you want before you buy, and you can return it in good condition for 30 days if for any reason you decide you don't like it.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 14 2007, 03:15 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Jul 13 2007, 08:43 PM) *
The guitar center here has tons of guitars to choose from. You can get a $100 or a $4000 one and they will let you play any of them for as long as you want before you buy, and you can return it in good condition for 30 days if for any reason you decide you don't like it.

my opinion, is that the better guitars are pretty consistent, and people are kidding themselves that they find the perfect one searching in the music stores. some look better than others, when flames are concerned. if there is any problem with the guitar, if you are unhappy with it in any way, you can send it back for exchange. i did that, they sent a replacement, paid shipping. but i would not assume that online is always the least expensive. some reputable musics shops ship them, and often have good prices. again, I am talking about better brand guitars, not cheap ones.

the human mind can convince itself of a lot when it tries real hard. there is a story about j hendrix, he would complain about something, some device. they would take it away, leave the room with it. then come back with the same item, and say "here is a different one, customized, try it out". he would try it and say "now that is really fine". as Kris said, Eric Johnson thinks he can tell the difference between different battery brands in his devices. Right.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 14 2007, 03:21 AM

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 14 2007, 03:19 AM
Thnx all...I will reserve my buying for IN-store only

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jul 14 2007, 04:02 AM
I buy all my guitars online because they're A LOT cheaper and can be returned or exchanged if I don't like something about it or if it's defective.

Some (cheap) guitars have fret problems, but all the big name brand $500+ guitars I've ever seen are pretty consistent. I've played guitars in the shop, but I've never bought into that whole "10 identical guitars but one of them plays perfectly" kind of thing.

It's a guitar. It's not Excalibur. No matter how well it plays, you should have it professionally set up after you buy it to make it even better.

My $150 Epiphone SG plays just as good as my Gibson SG after I got it set up.

People just like to feel important and in control. It's why they order water in restaurants, sip it, demand for fresh mountain springs mineral water, the jaded waitress comes back with a glass of toilet water and the guy who ordered it thinks the new glass is better.

And it's the only reason Starbucks is even in business. I went in there once and tried to order "coffee" and the person working there looked at me like I was insane or retarded.

But, I digress.

My advice: if you find a good deal online, take it. What little playability differences you find between in-store guitars will be rendered moot once you get the guitar set up.

This post has been edited by radarlove1984: Jul 14 2007, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 14 2007, 01:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I bought my last 4 guitars online - all decent brands, $500+ and have had no problems.

Whilst all online merchants I have dealt with have been good - Sweetwater push it a step further. I have one huy who always handles my orders, took some time just to chat with me and find out what I was into after my very first order and saved my a boatload of money on that purchase by alerting me to a manufacturers offer that I hadn't seen. Also, this guy was a musician and knew his stuff, not some unknowlegaeable teenager who didn't know the first thing about music.

In addition, when I bought my Jem, they set it up to my specifications before shipping it - for free. And finally, my guy just left Sweetwater, but I got a call from his replacement, informing me and introducing himself. Needless to say, that given that all the prices are identical, this kind of attitude makes a huge difference!

So, online is cool and cheap IF you know what you want.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jul 14 2007, 07:20 PM
Are you talking about www.sweetwater.com? I assume you are since I just ran the name through Google and that's the first site that came up.

I've never heard of them before. Did you place the order online, or call it in? Do you remember who you talked to?

Aside from Carvin, I've never heard of a music shop doing that. Sweet Water sounds like it's worth checking out.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 14 2007, 10:28 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Jul 14 2007, 02:20 PM) *
Are you talking about www.sweetwater.com? I assume you are since I just ran the name through Google and that's the first site that came up.

I've never heard of them before. Did you place the order online, or call it in? Do you remember who you talked to?

Aside from Carvin, I've never heard of a music shop doing that. Sweet Water sounds like it's worth checking out.

Yep, Sweetwater.com - I just ordered online, and within an hour someone called me back to talk. They'll assign you a personal contact guy first time you order, or you could call and ask for advice, they are very big on that.

Oh, and they give you free sweets in the shipping box when it arrives smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
CrashOops
Jul 15 2007, 12:16 AM
I dont order anything online. for me I find shipping to be a hassle and I like to be able to talk to a real person. as far as guitars are concerned I want to be able to play the guitar before I buy it, because some guitars do have issues with scratchy volume knobs, tone knobs etc.
As for Andrews comment about talking to a teenager that doesnt know anything about music, there's a reason I go to the music store that I do. It's a Tom lee's in Surrey BC, and that's two towns over from where I live, and the third furthest Tom lee location from where I live. YOu need to find a store that you feel comfortable with the environment, and trust the employees knowledge. The manager at the store I go to is a really great older guy that's played his fair share of gigs, and is always willing to talk with you about any questions you may have. there's been a couple times where he has steered me towards something a little bit cheaper or better value to get what I'm actually looking for, instead of steering me towards the most expensive thing hanging on the wall.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is not all guitar stores are lousy. just need to find the right one.

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 16 2007, 09:54 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 14 2007, 11:28 PM) *
Yep, Sweetwater.com - I just ordered online, and within an hour someone called me back to talk. They'll assign you a personal contact guy first time you order, or you could call and ask for advice, they are very big on that.

Oh, and they give you free sweets in the shipping box when it arrives smile.gif

Haha, yeah that's weird. I ordered a new digital camera and some extras because my son broke the old one. Just got it the other day and I got a complimentary candy bar with it. A special edition even!?! biggrin.gif

I wasn't sure if I dared to eat it so I gave it to my kid and he seems OK still biggrin.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 16 2007, 09:58 AM
There are a number of trustworthy vendors on ebay

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jul 16 2007, 10:22 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Anyways I have ordered my Cort EVL X2 via internet.. spared 'round 50$ (which is a lot for me:-D ) and I am fully satisfied with it:) expect the tremolo sux.... but its not problem of piece, but problem of these "licensed" floyd rose tremolos..anyway, the guitar is great and I havent found her in local shops:(

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:57 PM