Recording Equipment, M-AUDIO MobilePre USB + shure sm57 - worth the money?
Skalde
Mar 29 2008, 02:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello,

what do you think about this device? mobilePre Usb
I want to use it for recording my guitar with the help of a Shure sm57.
This would be my first recording equipment, so I don't have much experience in this sector.
Does anyone know if this works with Usb 1.0?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 29 2008, 03:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I guess it's alright. One thing that I would miss is MIDI.
There's not a whole bunch of outputs and it's 16bit/48kHz and I think tha lack of 24bit/96kHz could be another downside.

But if it has got everything you need then it's good for you.
I have no idea about USB 1.0

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 29 2008, 03:37 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
USB 2 devices generally will work with a USB1 port but will be throttled back in speed. If your pc only has USB 1 ports then see if you can add a USB2 card as you will get much better performance.

MAudio make good interfaces so I can't see any reason why the device wouldn't be a good option in its price range with a Shure mic apart from, as Micke has said, the fact that it is 16 bit resolution. Most common resolution for recording etc is 24 bit. 44.1 and 48 is fine - 96 and 192 are over hyped imo and a waste of system resources for home recording. It's the 16 bit that makes me wonder...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 29 2008, 03:56 PM
Learning Roadie
I think you are right. I have now second thoughts about this product concering the 16bit resolution. (did not know thats so bad)
Thanks for your comments, can you commend another audio interface within the price range?

/edit
Huh, it seems like the device I am looking for is called 'mic preamp' and not 'audio interface'
As far as I could find out, audio interfaces usually offer mic preamps but are designed for recording guitar without microphones, right?
I want to record the sound of my amp with the help of a microphon, so a mic preamp would do the job.
This one looks nice(according to the reviews I have read), but I was not able to finde out what cables I have to use to connect it with the line in port of my soundcard.
By the way, what sort of power supply do I need for this device, will a normal 9V power supply do?

Thanks, for helping me and sorry for the trouble huh.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Mar 29 2008, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Mar 29 2008, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
IMO everyone has to start at some place in the recording world........when i first started recording i started out with a fostex 4 track tape recorder..In that respect it kind of gave me a feel about how recording in a ever changeing world of gear and basments reacted to one anouther...Now i sit in my $12,000 dollar plus studio that has a massive amount of gear purchesed thru the years, and wonder if i have a addiction laugh.gif ..I still find myself passing up new gear options i have ,, for my old stand by units like my Digitech gsp7 or midi verb. sure my lexicon units are far better for some things.but sometimes lack that vintage color...I would sugest saveing a few extra bucks up and go with the m audio fast track pro...that would be a better investment in the long run...That and it comes with free software like ableton live lite..plus midi options and s/pdif digital hook ups..and only cost about 50 dollars more...I guess what im saying is starting small is not allways a bad thing cause after a amount of time,, small turns into medium,,and then into large..and before you know it you need a bigger room and more outletts a faster computer..better headphones..more cables..more shelves...a book case..17 more mic stands..a coffee maker..and a assistant... laugh.gif

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 29 2008, 11:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Concidering Tonys suggestion on 24bit and 48kHz I think there's a few that you could concider.
I'm not familiar with the interfaces but just browsing they look fine. We could look closer if you find one that looks good to you.

Alesis IO2
Tapco by Mackie lacks MIDI
Tascam us122
Edirol more expensive but looks good to me

As I said, I don't know these ones, the just seem to fit your needs and browsing quickly their specs look fine.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor
I would reconsider something with little better converting abilities. Minimum 24bit/96kHz to get the sound decent enough from that SM57.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:32 AM