6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
What Are You Currently Working On?
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2014, 04:04 AM
GMC:er
When I use an imported drum track, I typically reduce the drums to a simple stereo channel. Whereas I would normally use the multichannel method for better mixing. But with cover music, it's a cover after all, so usually I can find a midi file of the drums and throw it on the ez drummer track and it will mostly match up. EZ eh? smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2014, 12:48 PM) *
Hey guys biggrin.gif what's cooking here? Cosmin would love to throw some vocals in and some guitar leads as well if you guys are willing to work on something that doesn't have anything to do with the 80s , because I can't sing like that biggrin.gif But first things first - Regarding the MIDI tracks importing in order to get the drums - well, I could never make due with this method unfortunately, regardless on how much I would've wished it to work for me - but each time, the drum track was messed up to say the least... sad.gif Todd, am I doing something wrong, or is there anything we should particularly be aware of when importing MIDI tracks?

Those are cool smile.gif But they are already "Metalized" so to speak. smile.gif I liked the LOVERBOY idea as it's FAR from be Metal so making a HEAVY version of it could be cool. You got any fave songs from the 80's that are not Rock/Metal/Pop Metal, but are more like loverboy and straight pop?

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 21 2014, 07:42 PM) *
I would LOVE to collaborate with you on something Todd. I already have an idea in my head for this tune, but how about I figure out another 80s song we can work, something I know I would not be capable of pulling the solo off on.

Would you be interested one of these - I always loved them... and some of the licks would be difficult for me...

^^^^ If we did this one we would have to talk Cosmin into cutting the vocal track. smile.gif

or

or

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 24 2014, 01:42 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2014, 11:04 PM) *
You got any fave songs from the 80's that are not Rock/Metal/Pop Metal, but are more like loverboy and straight pop?

I sure do - I'll PM you about it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 24 2014, 10:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 24 2014, 03:04 AM) *
When I use an imported drum track, I typically reduce the drums to a simple stereo channel. Whereas I would normally use the multichannel method for better mixing. But with cover music, it's a cover after all, so usually I can find a midi file of the drums and throw it on the ez drummer track and it will mostly match up. EZ eh? smile.gif

Those are cool smile.gif But they are already "Metalized" so to speak. smile.gif I liked the LOVERBOY idea as it's FAR from be Metal so making a HEAVY version of it could be cool. You got any fave songs from the 80's that are not Rock/Metal/Pop Metal, but are more like loverboy and straight pop?

Thank you Todd!

I'll try it and see how it goes biggrin.gif

Spock - nah man, I can skip the spandex biggrin.gif I don't feel too comfy in tight stuff... But if you need my playing wink.gif Just gimme a sign biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 25 2014, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 24 2014, 05:42 PM) *
Thank you Todd!

I'll try it and see how it goes biggrin.gif

Spock - nah man, I can skip the spandex biggrin.gif I don't feel too comfy in tight stuff... But if you need my playing wink.gif Just gimme a sign biggrin.gif

Will do man, as with anything like this, how quickly I move on it depends on the drum part - if I can get the foundation laid the strings can start to come together - but me and drum parts have a love-hate relationship.

The good thing about the song I'm considering is that it sounds like it was written to a drum machine in the studio - which means a steady even beat which could easily be created on a grid in Logic - and I would be able to use pre-programmed (HEAVIER) drums to replace the stiff robot that was used in the original recording.

The song I'm thinking about remaking is "Shout" by Tears for Fears.

I told one of my friends about it yesterday and he turned me onto Disturbed's remake of it. The version I would like to do would sound much more industrial (in my mind) than theirs - moodier, and just as, if not heavier.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2014, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 25 2014, 09:29 AM) *
Will do man, as with anything like this, how quickly I move on it depends on the drum part - if I can get the foundation laid the strings can start to come together - but me and drum parts have a love-hate relationship.

The good thing about the song I'm considering is that it sounds like it was written to a drum machine in the studio - which means a steady even beat which could easily be created on a grid in Logic - and I would be able to use pre-programmed (HEAVIER) drums to replace the stiff robot that was used in the original recording.

The song I'm thinking about remaking is "Shout" by Tears for Fears.

I told one of my friends about it yesterday and he turned me onto Disturbed's remake of it. The version I would like to do would sound much more industrial (in my mind) than theirs - moodier, and just as, if not heavier.

Good choice of a song, but very difficult task - at least for me it would be, because I can't even think about this song without having Disturbed's version in my mind smile.gif Plus, it's already been done by them, why not pick something which hasn't yet been tackled?

I was thinking of this maybe smile.gif

It's got good groove which can surely be transformed into a killer riff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 25 2014, 02:59 PM
I had no idea about Disturbed's version until yesterday, so I had in my head a different version, which to me, I think I would like better. It may have some of the same "junk" components - but it will sound more like something Korn would do than Disturbed.

+Quote Post
Kalkilla
Jul 25 2014, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 17 2014, 04:01 PM) *
Hello guys! This thread is to invite everybody connected (those who usually participate of the forum and also the new ones or those who are a bit shy) to tell me what you are working on right and also to give you some help if it's needed.

We can use this thread, my personal board and also GMC Chat to work on the things that are locking you.

so the question is:

What are you currently working on?

I am working on my picking hand and my left fretting hand. I'm starting to understand some of the Theory in regards to the modes, thirds, fifts etc. I understand the building blocks of chords from the scales, but for the life of me, I can't seem to learn the notes on my fretboard. I know them if I go string by string, fret by fret etc. I can also play some of the stuff from here at level 3 but can't seem to move on beyond that. I need a strict regiment as far as my practicing is concerned. I see the speed building up, but I don't need to play 300 bpm. I also don't understand key signatures and what chords go together. I'm also terrible with chord fingering, "I know open and power chords", but would love to know more. Can anyone help!!! Please!!! I usually practice about 2 hours a day. Need guidance

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2014, 04:05 AM
I forgot all about the disturbed version!! I had been thinking about doing a cover of this for a long time as well actually before I heard the disturbed even. I was glad to see SPOCK bring it up!! SERENDIPITY!!!! I think it will be a fun one smile.gif There are plenty of songs to choose from for the next one. But as they say you gotta start somewhere! I'm pitching in a bit and we have some starting tracks so we will keep you guys in the loop!

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 25 2014, 09:59 AM) *
I had no idea about Disturbed's version until yesterday, so I had in my head a different version, which to me, I think I would like better. It may have some of the same "junk" components - but it will sound more like something Korn would do than Disturbed.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2014, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 25 2014, 01:59 PM) *

If you have any ideas or a structure, post them here so we can see what you have in mind smile.gif I think that starting out with the song structure would be a great first step. I very much liked Korn's version of Pink Floyd's hit song, except for the solo - they are definitely not lead players wink.gif

Is this the kind of sound you are trying to achieve?

QUOTE (Kalkilla @ Jul 25 2014, 02:12 PM) *
I am working on my picking hand and my left fretting hand. I'm starting to understand some of the Theory in regards to the modes, thirds, fifts etc. I understand the building blocks of chords from the scales, but for the life of me, I can't seem to learn the notes on my fretboard. I know them if I go string by string, fret by fret etc. I can also play some of the stuff from here at level 3 but can't seem to move on beyond that. I need a strict regiment as far as my practicing is concerned. I see the speed building up, but I don't need to play 300 bpm. I also don't understand key signatures and what chords go together. I'm also terrible with chord fingering, "I know open and power chords", but would love to know more. Can anyone help!!! Please!!! I usually practice about 2 hours a day. Need guidance

Hey man smile.gif Welcome back wink.gif Are you interested in picking up where we left with your mentoring program based on your current needs? If so, please let me know and we can begin right away!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 26 2014, 02:14 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 26 2014, 07:59 AM) *
If you have any ideas or a structure, post them here so we can see what you have in mind smile.gif I think that starting out with the song structure would be a great first step. I very much liked Korn's version of Pink Floyd's hit song, except for the solo - they are definitely not lead players wink.gif

I have a working idea and Todd is helping me behind the scenes. I'm aiming for more of a hybrid sound, not all Korn-ish. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's going to sound like, that remains to be seen, but it will be heavy, and slammin, and nothing like Disturbed's version.

Once I get the parts down, there are 2 places in the song that would be great for solos and Todd suggested it would be a good idea to open the song for a solo collab.

So, that's my working plan, to complete the song, then put it up for a solo collab for anyone that wishes to throw something on top of it.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Kalkilla
Jul 27 2014, 07:29 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 26 2014, 12:59 PM) *

Is this the kind of sound you are trying to achieve?

Hey man smile.gif Welcome back wink.gif Are you interested in picking up where we left with your mentoring program based on your current needs? If so, please let me know and we can begin right away!

Thanks. Yeah, by all means I do man. My arm is ok now. I do alot of stretching before playing and it seems fine. I would love to pick up where we left off, that would be great.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2014, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kalkilla @ Jul 27 2014, 03:29 AM) *
Thanks. Yeah, by all means I do man. My arm is ok now. I do alot of stretching before playing and it seems fine. I would love to pick up where we left off, that would be great.

Great to know it mate! Welcome back to the site and guitar! Be careful with your arm now that you get back to practice. Doing stretches and massages before and after every session is fundamental. Have you ever seen this clip?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2014, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kalkilla @ Jul 27 2014, 06:29 AM) *

Great! Glad to see you back in action and the fact that your arm is in good shape is amazing! Let's rock then! I just sent you a PM smile.gif And since Gabi posted the famous Petrucci stretches and massage routines, I will also share a massage form I learned a few years ago:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 27 2014, 04:27 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2014, 04:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 26 2014, 01:14 PM) *
I have a working idea and Todd is helping me behind the scenes. I'm aiming for more of a hybrid sound, not all Korn-ish. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's going to sound like, that remains to be seen, but it will be heavy, and slammin, and nothing like Disturbed's version.

Once I get the parts down, there are 2 places in the song that would be great for solos and Todd suggested it would be a good idea to open the song for a solo collab.

So, that's my working plan, to complete the song, then put it up for a solo collab for anyone that wishes to throw something on top of it.

Attached Image

Hah! Good plan mate smile.gif Let me know if you want me to throw a solo or something and please post some progress here, if you wish smile.gif I'm curious on how it's going and maybe I can help too at some point.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 4 2014, 07:48 PM
Have not forgotten about you all. Been working some alt picking and slowly increasing sweeps. But then I took a turn for the worse...

https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/test-lig_01

As for clip everything is as is, no eq nothing except a limiter to boost the sound levels. The tones are some rolled downs knobs on clones from some guy named Lasse Lammert, the solo is a slightly tweeked clone of a lead from some other weird guy named Nolly I dunno they claim he's famous. But thats all right out of the box. Critique the sound/tone I'm sure the timing is off minus the synth due to that's a fast 5 minute lay down of guitars.

The reason I posted considering the wide changes. I was wondering how would I incorporate synth better? I've started to fall for bands that do that heavy riffing and add some industrial/electronic sounds.

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Aug 4 2014, 07:53 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 5 2014, 09:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 4 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Have not forgotten about you all. Been working some alt picking and slowly increasing sweeps. But then I took a turn for the worse...

https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/test-lig_01

As for clip everything is as is, no eq nothing except a limiter to boost the sound levels. The tones are some rolled downs knobs on clones from some guy named Lasse Lammert, the solo is a slightly tweeked clone of a lead from some other weird guy named Nolly I dunno they claim he's famous. But thats all right out of the box. Critique the sound/tone I'm sure the timing is off minus the synth due to that's a fast 5 minute lay down of guitars.

The reason I posted considering the wide changes. I was wondering how would I incorporate synth better? I've started to fall for bands that do that heavy riffing and add some industrial/electronic sounds.

Hey matey smile.gif I think that if you want to achieve that sort of sound, you should definitely think about the way in which the tone builds up with the drums, bass and synth. I too like the industrialized, electronic sounds mixed with metal and from your example, I can say that the whole context is lacking the punchy rhythmic rhythmic section that could make the tone sound completely different. I will let Gabi talk about the parameters, but in the mean time, you should analyze the bands whose sounds you wish to come close to. How are they being implemented in the contexts? smile.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM