3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Lespaul Or Ibanez Jem?, Can´t descide
Gilmore
Oct 24 2007, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I´m planning on buying a new guitar (my 3rd electric). I can´t descide wether to buy Gibson Lespaul Classic or Vai´s Signature Jem. I already have a Gibson SG 1961 reissue, and a Stratocaster. Mabye the LP sounds too simular to the SG, but i´m also looking for a guitar that suits many styles, and I had the Jem in mind for that. Probably end up buying both wink.gif........no my wife would kill me. I know the LP suits my playing style more, but damn I want that Jem too.

Anyone here has a LP Classic?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 24 2007, 07:54 PM
I'd get whatever YOU want, its really all personal preference if you know what your looking for. wink.gif

Edit: Don't get what someone else suggests, because they may tell you to get something that they think is better, but you may have a different opnion!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Unleash-The-Shred: Oct 24 2007, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 24 2007, 08:05 PM
Oh and here are a few things about the JEM...I own one, I also own a Les Paul

The JEM has a JEM Prestige neck, very thin, good for shred.

Pickups: DiMarzio: Evolution Neck Humbucker, Evolution Middle Single-coil, Evolution Bridge Humbucker.

24 Frets. (Unlike Satriani's Guitar)

...I'll add more later, I have to go.

+Quote Post
Wyldedime
Oct 24 2007, 09:32 PM
It depends on what kind of guitarplayer you are.
I`m a Les Paul player, Les Paul is tha axe to get if you want to rock your balls of on the stage, and I use my Fender Strat HM to those songs who involves some fiddeling and wammybar techniques.
By the way, the SG and Les Paul is two different worlds...but that will also depend on wich model you got. My SG is kind of thin sounding, and lack a lot of sustain compared with the Les Paul.
My Les Paul feels like a firebreathing monster, and I actually need that weight
it puts on my shoulders...literally and metaforically.:-)

And you have to excuse me if I mispell and got some funny sentences, I`m from Norway...but I hope you understand what I meen :-)

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 24 2007, 11:14 PM
Your English is close enough smile.gif better than mine anyway.

I got the 61 reissue SG. It probably has thinner sound than LP, but it´s got PLENTY sustain. It´s far more superiour to the Standard or Special SG´s.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 24 2007, 11:56 PM
Instructor
LP and JEM are two different worlds. You can't compare those. If you already have SG, i think a JEM would be a better addition to your collection.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 12:00 AM
Well a LP would usually have more sustain because of the thickness of the body and neck.

A JEM has decent sustain though, LP's sustain is better.

You could also trade in your SG, for a decent LP, (more money will probably be needed) and also buy a JEM, I like LP's better than SG's

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 25 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your views guys.

I think it´s more like adding to the collection than needing another one. Like Pavel said, the Jem would be a good choice since I got the SG. I will not be selling the SG. I think I´ll buy the Jem now, then I mabye in few years I´ll be going after the LP. smile.gif

It´s also nice to have a guitar that has a good whammy bar like the Jem. My regular Strat, is not good enough for that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 26 2007, 10:04 PM
JEMM!!!!! get the jem! you get your moneys worth. les pauls pickups are just some general output, jem has high output, which should worth more, since they are more powerful, if the les paul ones cost more,it is just stupid, coz it isnt actually worth more.
the bridge of the jem is a edge pro whilst les paul has a lame old bridge, that is worth less as well.
the neck is probably worth more on the JEM as well coz its got all special inlays and stuff.
and les paul can make bout 2 sounds, loud guitar, quiet guitar. whilst jem can make loads coz of the difference between the pickups. u can do all sorts with jem pickups
and sorry if tis dont help, im just bored lol

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 26 2007, 10:10 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well, there is nothing like a Gibson Les Paul, i would give the world for one. But the Jem is new technology and well worth the cash. I think it comes down personal prefence on this one!!

Im going to buy an RG presige next! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 26 2007, 10:20 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 26 2007, 05:10 PM) *
Well, there is nothing like a Gibson Les Paul, i would give the world for one. But the Jem is new technology and well worth the cash. I think it comes down personal prefence on this one!!

Im going to buy an RG presige next! smile.gif

Versatility (Jem) vs All out tone&sustain (LP)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 26 2007, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 26 2007, 05:04 PM) *
JEMM!!!!! get the jem! you get your moneys worth. les pauls pickups are just some general output, jem has high output, which should worth more, since they are more powerful, if the les paul ones cost more,it is just stupid, coz it isnt actually worth more.
the bridge of the jem is a edge pro whilst les paul has a lame old bridge, that is worth less as well.
the neck is probably worth more on the JEM as well coz its got all special inlays and stuff.
and les paul can make bout 2 sounds, loud guitar, quiet guitar. whilst jem can make loads coz of the difference between the pickups. u can do all sorts with jem pickups
and sorry if tis dont help, im just bored lol

This isn't correct, LP's pickups can be VERY good. The bridges arent cheap, and the necks are great and there are many styles of necks for LP's. How did you come up with this. laugh.gif

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-S2170SE-NTF.html

I like these also.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 30 2007, 04:59 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Oct 26 2007, 09:48 PM) *
This isn't correct, LP's pickups can be VERY good. The bridges arent cheap, and the necks are great and there are many styles of necks for LP's. How did you come up with this. laugh.gif

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-S2170SE-NTF.html

I like these also.

rightyeah. you want sustain, get a (i think) framus sustainer pickups. dont need no les paul for sustain. and the bridges cost alot on the price tag, but it isnt really worth much, tis just fat pieces of metal screwed on to your guitar. whilst the ibanez egde pro comes with many more screws and springs and a whammy bar if your lucky wink.gif lol it is generally worth more in what you physically get unles you heavily mod it like buckethead does

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Oct 30 2007, 05:00 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 31 2007, 05:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
Gibsons Burstbucker pickups as fitted in the standards are generally considered a legend in tone.

Really these two guitars are worlds apart!! One is vintage tone, style and play.

The other is a leathal sonic weapon with all the bells and whistle that come with it !!

Are you a super sonic shredder? or a Les Paul rocker? laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 31 2007, 06:12 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 29 2007, 09:59 PM) *
... and the bridges cost alot on the price tag, but it isnt really worth much, tis just fat pieces of metal screwed on to your guitar ...

Not a comment on the relative merits of Jems vs LPs but on the quality and price tag of a Gibson (much of this would almost certainly apply to a Jem):

Bought my first Gibson about 30 years ago and during the intervening years have spent very little time cleaning it. It's been through numerous gigs, survived 9 house moves - including several changes of country and climate. The bridge looks, and works, as good as new. It has no pits, no oxidation marks, no rust. The chroming on it is first class and the intonation adjustment is as sweet and smooth as the day I bought it.

My first ever guitar had a cheap Gibson style bridge. The chroming on that started to strip in the first year. If I remember rightly I paid 75 UK sterling for that first guitar and it lasted about 2 years - it's probably worth about 5 UK sterling now. I paid 535 UK sterling for the Gibson (still have the bill and receipt) and its lasted me over 30 - its valued at over 2,500 UK sterling.

You pay your money and you make your choice.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 31 2007, 06:23 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 31 2007, 10:12 AM) *
Not a comment on the relative merits of Jems vs LPs but on the quality and price tag of a Gibson (much of this would almost certainly apply to a Jem):

Bought my first Gibson about 30 years ago and during the intervening years have spent very little time cleaning it. It's been through numerous gigs, survived 9 house moves - including several changes of country and climate. The bridge looks, and works, as good as new. It has no pits, no oxidation marks, no rust. The chroming on it is first class and the intonation adjustment is as sweet and smooth as the day I bought it.

My first ever guitar had a cheap Gibson style bridge. The chroming on that started to strip in the first year. If I remember rightly I paid 75 UK sterling for that first guitar and it lasted about 2 years - it's probably worth about 5 UK sterling now. I paid 535 UK sterling for the Gibson (still have the bill and receipt) and its lasted me over 30 - its valued at over 2,500 UK sterling.

You pay your money and you make your choice.

Cheers,
Tony

Was it an LP?

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 31 2007, 06:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
In this context it's a Gibson Les Paul.

Cheers,
Tony

Or maybe I'm misreading the question? The above took the Q as 'what is a LP?' Looking at it again if you mean is the guitar a LP then no it isn't - it's a Gibson semi - my LP is 3 1/2 years old and again the bridge shows no sign of age.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Oct 31 2007, 06:43 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 31 2007, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Lets face it your not going to be disappointed with either purchase smile.gif

Both top notch axes!

If it was my money I`d buy the Jem, purely for the weight issue .... ang on ... no the les paul awww I dunno laugh.gif

Buy both laugh.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Oct 31 2007, 06:39 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 31 2007, 07:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 26 2007, 10:04 PM) *
les pauls pickups are just some general output, jem has high output, which should worth more, since they are more powerful, if the les paul ones cost more,it is just stupid, coz it isnt actually worth more.

It's a huge misunderstanding to think more output is better. What do you want huge output for, you got an amplifier, don't you? laugh.gif

What is the output of a 489T vs. the Evolution? I know as much that the impedance is almost the exact same.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Oct 31 2007, 07:07 PM
Instructor
As Pavel said they are two different worlds. I prefer Ibanez JEM... Why?? Those are my reasons:

Thin neck
24 frets
Microtuning (I don't know if it's the correct word, I'm translating directly from Spanish XD)
Whammy bar (I cannot play without it)
Floating bridge...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:22 AM