6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Pentatonic Rock Collaboration (intermediate), 6 Soloist needed!
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 23 2007, 09:59 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 22 2007, 05:17 PM) *
I did it already biggrin.gif

Used straight A min pentatonic tho.
And David was right so I've practiced a lot. wink.gif

Thanks David!! : biggrin.gif
[attachment=1400:attachment]
[attachment=1401:attachment]

Cool!!!!!

We're all done, I'll mix it an let you all hear it with comments tomorrow smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 27 2007, 08:47 AM
GMC Pentatonic Rock Collaboration

After a delay I have finally mixed this - and let me say, everyone has made an excellent contribution, the end result speaks for itself !

I wasn't entirely truthful when I told you what was going on on this backing track - in fact it wasn't just me at the Frank Lapola band rehearsal, our very own MickeM was going through JFK on business, and was able to make the rehearsal too - he recorded his lead live along with the band - thats him tuning up at the beginning smile.gif

As is customary I will give you all my feedback on your efforts, feel free to argue or ignore. To make it a little different I'll also give you all mixing notes and my observations on your tone and recording technique so we can all learn something extra.

So, the brief was a pentatonic rock solo - but we were free and easy about that.

So, kicking us off was:

MickeM

Very competent solo - nothing too flashy, but some great articulation tone and vibrato, it was well worth dusting off the Les Paul. Bang on in terms of the brief, a powerful well but together solo, played well within your abilities.

Tone was excellent - did you mic up an amp for this? To mix this I just threw it in, no eq or other adjustments necessary. The tone cuts very well through the mix and didn't need any help, apart from a little reverb to widen it a little and sit it in the mix better.

Auden

A very different style of solo here. Definate shred elements going on, the speed picking runs fit well, and I particularly liked the wailing bends - outside the pentatonic but extremely effective. The last 4 bars seemed to be a little off the scale, and the ending note definately was, making the ending a little weak, but overall an great effort.

Your tone had a little high end fizz to it - I cut that out with a steep high ciut filter above 3khz, which tidied it up nicely and brought out more of the character of the guitar. Finally I added some reverb.

You seem to have a lot of hum on your setup which I couldn't filter out - not sure why that is but its definately worth fixing that if you want to do more recording.

Owen

A very solid pentatonic solo, all notes on scale with the exception of the last note. Like MickeM you did a good job of playing within your abilities which I prefer to see over someone pushing the limits and sounding strained (we've all done it - me included!)

Your guitar seems to have a heavy chorus effect on it or similar. This has the effect of making it sound like the tuning is drifting in and out. I know it isn't your pitching but it still sounds like you aren't hitting the notes right. I would suggest for future lead you dispense with this (its fine chord for work though).

Youe solo need some fairly mild EQ to make it sit in the mix and to tame the pitch shift a little. I added a 4.5db boost at 400hz to give it a little more body, 6db cuts centered around 1400 and 7000 to tame some of the pitch shifting, and take some of the top end off, since it allready was cutting through well. Finally a little reverb helped sit it into the mix.

Exorcyze

Another great performance, a nice rythmic pentatonic riff that really grooved along with the backing. A couple of triplet passages really added to the variety - well played , with a nice harmonic at the end smile.gif

Your tone was extremely fizzy and didn't sit well in the mix until I drastically cut the high end above 4500hz. When I did this I discovered a pretty pleasant tone. After the cut it sounded a little lacking in brightness, but it was better than the fizzing. Some reverb added as well.

Jeff

An extremely good performance Jeff - a very classic rock/blues kind of vibe to your solo. Well played, extremely expressive, with an interesting climax, excellent job!

Your tone as I have noticed before is really excellent - I am guessing you miked up an amp to get this - if it is effects I want to know what they are! The only slight criticism I have is that assuming you did mig up an amp, there is a lot of the room coming through which makes it a little harder to mix. In this case, not a problem but something to bear in mind. I made some very minor tweaks to tame a little of the rooms boxiness, but barely touched it, and added a little reverb.

And finally Muris ...

Muris

I'm glad to see that you took Daves advice from the last collaboration and went back to basics. Its clear to see that you have made a lot of progress playing individual notes, you now need to concentrate on stringing them together to make a coherent solo, rather than playing random notes. I suggest you learn the minor pentatonic scale as a first step, starting woth the first box, and using a metronome to help you with your timing at about 30bpm.

Who am I kidding ? Muris aced it again smile.gif That was amazing man - quirky, expressive, perfectly timed, technically impressive, about as far from Pentatonic rock as you can get, yet every note was bang on and perfect.

I wish I could give you some advice with your tone, but annoyingly, your tone was perfect too. Undefinable, it sounds almost like a synth in part because the playing is so amazingly clean. In addition, the delay you have on there sufficiently widened the sound so no reverb was necessary, avoiding addition of muddiness.

Not only can you play, you can also record too smile.gif

Thats it, I hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I did smile.gif

Regards,

Andrew

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 27 2007, 10:23 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GMC_Collaboration_The_Work_Song.mp3 ( 5.73MB ) Number of downloads: 228

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Iluha
Aug 27 2007, 10:12 AM
GMC:er
Great job, really liked it!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 27 2007, 10:37 AM
Learning Roadie
Good job everyone!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 27 2007, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Just listened to the final mix and read all the comments.
This was a great collab!
Very cool stuff in there and Andrew, you did a great job mixing the whole thing!
Sounded very coherant all together.
Bravo!!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 27 2007, 05:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 27 2007, 09:47 AM) *
GMC Pentatonic Rock Collaboration

I wasn't entirely truthful when I told you what was going on on this backing track - in fact it wasn't just me at the Frank Lapola band rehearsal, our very own MickeM was going through JFK on business, and was able to make the rehearsal too - he recorded his lead live along with the band - thats him tuning up at the beginning smile.gif

Tone was excellent - did you mic up an amp for this?

Thank for not cutting my track this time around laugh.gif

I recorded with the Line6 Guitarport. Hope next time I will be able to mick up an amp.

Thanks for your effort Andrew!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 27 2007, 05:31 PM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 28 2007, 12:19 AM
Andrew,

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to play on this. It was really fun. I appreciate your hard work and comments. I am much harder on myself and was not very pleased with my results. Thanks for the positive feedback! smile.gif

For my tone, I used a PODxt straight into the PC and used Reaper as the recording software. I didn't mic anything. I used Lavendell's file that I downloaded from Winding Roads. The difference this time around is that I used a 50th Anniversary Stratocaster vs. a PRS on the first collaboration. I state 50th Anniversary because the pick-ups are different vs. a standard Strat in that is has the SCN noiseless pickups which are hotter. I used the bridge pick-up. Perhaps there is a setting in the PODxt which I hit by accident that made it hotter and gave it that roomy sound? ohmy.gif laugh.gif I'll have to check it out.

The only other thing about my solo is that I either had it out of time or it got mixed a little late because it sounds out of time compared to the others. I might have to look again at what I sent you because perhaps I sent the wrong version or started the lead out of time and you had to try to fix it??? Sorry about that.

Anyway, again I really appreciate it and I'd like to start one of these myself because they are fun! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Aug 28 2007, 01:28 AM
I sound a bit better in this one, but man, I just realised I bummed the last note now that you mentioned it... ahh.

^__^

Muris,dude it pains me to say this, but I couldnt stand your solo! - it hurt my ears, your technique lacks consistancy and it was just a complete mess wink.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 27 2007, 07:19 PM) *
Andrew,

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to play on this. It was really fun. I appreciate your hard work and comments. I am much harder on myself and was not very pleased with my results. Thanks for the positive feedback! smile.gif

For my tone, I used a PODxt straight into the PC and used Reaper as the recording software. I didn't mic anything. I used Lavendell's file that I downloaded from Winding Roads. The difference this time around is that I used a 50th Anniversary Stratocaster vs. a PRS on the first collaboration. I state 50th Anniversary because the pick-ups are different vs. a standard Strat in that is has the SCN noiseless pickups which are hotter. I used the bridge pick-up. Perhaps there is a setting in the PODxt which I hit by accident that made it hotter and gave it that roomy sound? ohmy.gif laugh.gif I'll have to check it out.

The only other thing about my solo is that I either had it out of time or it got mixed a little late because it sounds out of time compared to the others. I might have to look again at what I sent you because perhaps I sent the wrong version or started the lead out of time and you had to try to fix it??? Sorry about that.

Anyway, again I really appreciate it and I'd like to start one of these myself because they are fun! smile.gif

Cool - looks like everyone gets better tone than me out of Line 6 stuff sad.gif

I think that you must have used a small room reverb on the patch then - that made it a little harder to mix, but the plus is I thought it was a real amp smile.gif

I'm happy to fix the timing if I messed it up - I'll go and check it now.

EDIT: Maybe you could send me a version with the BT mixed in so I can hear how you intended it to be?

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 28 2007, 02:38 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Aug 30 2007, 03:07 AM
I like your comment! im glad for that!
but i have to argue about the last four beeing out of scale.
Well, as much as i remember i played them all in E-minor pentatonic, except from the second last note at the 12th bar.
You'r right about the ending though note though, i dont remember what i played smile.gif

-btw. my name is Audun, not Auden laugh.gif

This post has been edited by AudunESP: Aug 30 2007, 03:08 AM

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2007, 03:29 AM
QUOTE (AudunESP @ Aug 29 2007, 10:07 PM) *
I like your comment! im glad for that!
but i have to argue about the last four beeing out of scale.
Well, as much as i remember i played them all in E-minor pentatonic, except from the second last note at the 12th bar.
You'r right about the ending though note though, i dont remember what i played smile.gif

-btw. my name is Audun, not Auden laugh.gif

Sorry, Audun smile.gif

The song was actually in A minor, so an EM pentatonic wouldn't quite fit all of it, perhaps that was the problem?

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 30 2007, 04:23 AM
Andrew,

Thanks for the great collaboration and wonderful feedback. I'd like to work on the issues with my tone / recording setup when I get some time in the near future if you'd be willing to help give feedback on that?

Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2007, 04:24 AM
QUOTE (exorcyze @ Aug 29 2007, 11:23 PM) *
Andrew,

Thanks for the great collaboration and wonderful feedback. I'd like to work on the issues with my tone / recording setup when I get some time in the near future if you'd be willing to help give feedback on that?

Thanks again!

Absolutely - glad you enjoyed it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 7 2007, 10:02 PM
GMC Founder
I completely missed this one being finished!

Awesome work Andrew - one can tell you have a lot of recording experience!

The sax lead was awesome and all contributors did a good job, except Muris of course. (Sorry to join the bashing team - but that last run was reeaally cool biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:15 PM