Can You Make A Video From That Angle?, Paul Gilbert´s alternate picking
dairwolf
Nov 15 2012, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, I finally found a clip of Paul Gilbert that might solve my biggest problem concerning alternate picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEMA6HX8H88

What I find especially interesting about this clip is that you actually get to see how Paul lifts the Pick up so that he can get over the next string. In fact, I´m surprised by how far he moves the fingers away from the guitar.

However, what I´d like to know is: Do all of you do it like that? And could someone do a video from a similar angle (maybe a little closer to the guitar and of course without the credits) and explain the mechanics of how you move the pick up and down?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2012, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
Paul is THE MAN IMHO on picking. I ripped off pretty much my entire picking strategy from him and it worked! Just tweaked it a bit. His approach to music and the guitar is really amazing.

His mechanics in his vid are really close to what I do. Here is neck cam vid I made from a similar angle.

Todd

QUOTE (dairwolf @ Nov 15 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Hey everyone, I finally found a clip of Paul Gilbert that might solve my biggest problem concerning alternate picking.

What I find especially interesting about this clip is that you actually get to see how Paul lifts the Pick up so that he can get over the next string. In fact, I´m surprised by how far he moves the fingers away from the guitar.

However, what I´d like to know is: Do all of you do it like that? And could someone do a video from a similar angle (maybe a little closer to the guitar and of course without the credits) and explain the mechanics of how you move the pick up and down?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 15 2012, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 16 2012, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (dairwolf @ Nov 15 2012, 04:24 PM) *

you can not play something until you can hear it in your head first-
example - think of a song you know well, you can play it in your head as easliy as you can on the guitar because you can hear how it goes in your head , so the answer becomes how can you hear it in your head so that you will be able to play it.
there is plenty of info on picking technique at GMC but you will still need to hear it in your head to play it and I think this might help https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=46708&hl=. download this and try it for one week and let me know, if you start with a down stroke your first string change will be ouside picking practice and your next string changewill be inside practice.
put metronome at a pace were you can play perfectly and this is your starting point.
play it at this pace until you can focus on any part of the exercise ( your freting hand -how your pick plucks each individual note, can you hear the pick noise instead of the string tone. Once you get to this point ,increase the tempo by 2 bpm's until you can do the same, once you can analyze your playing this much while you are playing you will be shocked at how quickly you will start ti increase your speed.

give this a try for one week ? let me know if any things need to be clarified

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:12 PM