3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Analysis Challenge Thread, Join the Fun and Work On Your Theory Chops at the same time!
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 01:13 PM
Theory Instructor
Going to have some fun today and post a "Challenge Analysis" for everyone to work out. I'll post a new challenge analyses each week for us to work on together. Have fun with it!

Here is a chord progression, see if you can work out the following and post your answers:

1. Chord Names
2. Harmonic Progression
3. Key
4. Scale Choices for Improvising

Have fun and good luck!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 31 2013, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 31 2013, 12:13 PM) *
Going to have some fun today and post a "Challenge Analysis" for everyone to work out. I'll post a new challenge analyses each week for us to work on together. Have fun with it!

Here is a chord progression, see if you can work out the following and post your answers:

1. Chord Names
2. Harmonic Progression
3. Key

Have fun and good luck!

Attached Image

Not sure I have this right, but here goes:

Chords: CMaj7, Amin7, Fadd6, Dmin7b5, G7, Csus4, CMaj7
Progression: I, vi, IV, Not sure on the D - it's ii in the key of CMaj but b5?,V,I
Key: Cmajor
Scale Choices: C Maj Pentatonic, A minor Pentatonic

Edit: Also, more of these! It'd be brilliant to have one of these each day to work on.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AdamB: Jan 31 2013, 04:36 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 05:00 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ Jan 31 2013, 03:35 PM) *
Not sure I have this right, but here goes:

Chords: CMaj7, Amin7, Fadd6, Dmin7b5, G7, Csus4, CMaj7
Progression: I, vi, IV, Not sure on the D - it's ii in the key of CMaj but b5?,V,I
Key: Cmajor
Scale Choices: C Maj Pentatonic, A minor Pentatonic

Edit: Also, more of these! It'd be brilliant to have one of these each day to work on.

Really close man, nice work!

Check out the chords, you have Cmaj7-Am7-G7-Cmaj7 totally correct, the Fadd6, Dmin7b5 and Csus4 aren't there yet.

Keep the root notes in mind when looking at progressions, those low notes can help you out more often then not.

Just try to get those chords worked out and you've got it!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 31 2013, 05:22 PM
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 31 2013, 04:00 PM) *
Really close man, nice work!

Check out the chords, you have Cmaj7-Am7-G7-Cmaj7 totally correct, the Fadd6, Dmin7b5 and Csus4 aren't there yet.

Keep the root notes in mind when looking at progressions, those low notes can help you out more often then not.

Just try to get those chords worked out and you've got it!

OK, Chords MkII, with explanations as to why I chose them:

So, CMaj7, Am7 are correct.
The Fadd6 I had because it's D, F, C, E, which I read as being F A C E (F Maj) with the A removed and replaced with a D, which in F Maj is the 6th. But, that's wrong, so instead I'd read it as Dmin7+9 (D, F, A, C with the A removed and replaced with E which in D is the 2nd or 9th).
The Dmin7b5 I chose because the notes were G, F, C, D. I thought this was D F Ab C, I'm not sure why. So this time I've gone with G7sus4, as it's G B D F (G7) with the B replaced with C (suspended 4th), which leads into the G7.
G7,
The Csus4 I got from C G B F, which I thought was C E G B with the E placed with F to make it another sus4 chord. That's also wrong, so I have no idea what this is. Maybe a V chord of some sort, like Gmin7b5 or something?
CMaj7

So my next best guess is;
CMaj7, Amin7, Dmin7+9, G7sus4, G7, Gmin7b5, CMaj7.

I'm also useless at knowing which scales out side of pentatonic to use, so some explanation there would be greatly appreciated!

When you say "Keep the root notes in mind when looking at progressions", is the root note always in the bass? How do you tell whether it's an inversion or what not? Is there cases where a chord is ambiguous and could be one of several chords and named differently?

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 05:33 PM
Theory Instructor
Pretty good man! Just look at the second to last chord, the C G B F, it's the B that is the clue smile.gif

For the root note, it's not always the bass note, but it's a good place to start and then if it doesn't make sense you can look elsewhere from there.

For the D F C E, with the D as the root it's Dm9, but if you looked as F as the root it's Fadd6, so the root is the important note.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 31 2013, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 31 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Pretty good man! Just look at the second to last chord, the C G B F, it's the B that is the clue smile.gif

For the root note, it's not always the bass note, but it's a good place to start and then if it doesn't make sense you can look elsewhere from there.

For the D F C E, with the D as the root it's Dm9, but if you looked as F as the root it's Fadd6, so the root is the important note.

C G B F, so do you mean B is the root? Then it's B C F G. BMaj is B D# F# A#, so it's bb3, b5,bb7? I have no idea what that is. So I'm assuming it must be the note that's different and the C is the root? in which case it's C F G B. C Maj is C E G B so it'd be Csus4? But that's what I put the first time so that must be wrong. :S

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 07:28 PM
Theory Instructor
The second one is very close. It is Cmaj7sus4. The B is a major 7 in C so you just need to have it in the chord symbol. That's all. Good work man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 31 2013, 07:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jan 31 2013, 12:13 PM) *

1. Chord Names
2. Harmonic Progression
3. Key

Have fun and good luck!

Attached Image

1) Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G7sus4 G7 Cmaj7sus4 (or is it Cmaj11) Cmaj7
2) I vi ii V I
3) C major
4) C ionian, G mixolydian

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 08:47 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 31 2013, 06:53 PM) *
1) Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G7sus4 G7 Cmaj7sus4 (or is it Cmaj11) Cmaj7
2) I vi ii V I
3) C major
4) C ionian, G mixolydian

Nice one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 1 2013, 03:05 PM
Ah I see, so it's CMaj7sus4. Cool.

Can we get another one of these?

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 1 2013, 09:09 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ Feb 1 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Ah I see, so it's CMaj7sus4. Cool.

Can we get another one of these?

Yep will be doing these on a regular basis!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 3 2013, 03:03 PM
Theory Instructor
Here is a brand new Analysis Challenge phrase. In today's phrase, try to identify the following.

1. The scale used in the opening bar
2. The key of the entire phrase
3. The chord progression
4. The name for the chord shapes being used
5. 2-3 Scales you could use to solo over these changes

Attached Image

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 3 2013, 03:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
SPOILER --- my humble answers below --- SPOILER

1. E aeolian
2. Em
3. E5 - D5 - C5 - D5
4. 5th chords or, as they are more commonly known as at least within the metal sphere, power chords
5. I'd probably just stick to E aeolian (or possibly E minor pentatonic with a touch of E blues)

This post has been edited by HungryForHeaven: Feb 3 2013, 03:17 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 3 2013, 03:30 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Feb 3 2013, 02:16 PM) *
SPOILER --- my humble answers below --- SPOILER

1. E aeolian
2. Em
3. E5 - D5 - C5 - D5
4. 5th chords or, as they are more commonly known as at least within the metal sphere, power chords
5. I'd probably just stick to E aeolian (or possibly E minor pentatonic with a touch of E blues)

Nice one mate! If you had to give numbers or Roman Numerals to the chords what would they be?

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 3 2013, 03:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Professor @ Feb 3 2013, 03:30 PM) *
Nice one mate! If you had to give numbers or Roman Numerals to the chords what would they be?

Hmm, not sure how 5th chords are normally written.

I guess if they were triads, then maybe i-VII-VI-VII, since the D and C chords would probably be major chords. Or do I need to point out that we're talking about a flat 7th etc?

How about I5-VIIb5-VIb5-VIIb5?

Thank you though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 3 2013, 03:47 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Feb 3 2013, 02:41 PM) *
Hmm, not sure how 5th chords are normally written.

I guess if they were triads, then maybe i-VII-VI-VII, since the D and C chords would probably be major chords. Or do I need to point out that we're talking about a flat 7th etc?

How about I5-VIIb5-VIb5-VIIb5?

Thank you though. smile.gif

Yeah, when we are putting numbers on chords we don't have to change anything between power chords or triads, so in the key of G major, C5 and C are both IV. So no worries there.

And your analysis looks right, we just put the b before the number so it would look like this.

I5 - bVII5 - bVI5 - bVII5

That's it, nice work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 3 2013, 03:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great, thanks Prof! smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 3 2013, 03:57 PM
Theory Instructor
No problem! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 4 2013, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (The Professor @ Feb 3 2013, 02:03 PM) *
Here is a brand new Analysis Challenge phrase. In today's phrase, try to identify the following.

1. The scale used in the opening bar
2. The key of the entire phrase
3. The chord progression
4. The name for the chord shapes being used
5. 2-3 Scales you could use to solo over these changes

Attached Image

Good luck!

Here's my attempt;

Scale; C Lydian
Key; Em
Chord Progression Em, D, C, D
Chord Shapes; E5, D5, C5, D5 (power chords)
Scales for soloing; Em pentatonic, G Major Pentatonic, D diminished?

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 4 2013, 11:31 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ Feb 4 2013, 10:30 AM) *
Here's my attempt;

Scale; C Lydian
Key; Em
Chord Progression Em, D, C, D
Chord Shapes; E5, D5, C5, D5 (power chords)
Scales for soloing; Em pentatonic, G Major Pentatonic, D diminished?

Nice one, I was thinking E Aeolian for the lick, but it has the same notes as C Lydian so all good.

The rest looks great. D Diminished might be a bit outside, but you could try it out and see how it fits. Would just need to make sure to resolve it back at the right time and in the right place so it didn't get too far out on you.

Nice work!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:51 PM